[resolved] Preparing your library every time?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3689
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 16 2015 8:01 AM

I have noticed in recent times that Logos almost systematically (may even be every time) starts with the "preparing your library" deal. It does not last long but it did not use to be that way. I am using Logos Bible Software 6.2 SR-1 (6.2.0.0043) in Windows 8.1.

Posts 327
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 9:43 AM

Using a Mac, it has happened virtually every time I started the app (as opposed to keeping it running)

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Eastern Rite, Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 8057
LogosEmployee

Francis:
I have noticed in recent times that Logos almost systematically (may even be every time) starts with the "preparing your library" deal. It does not last long but it did not use to be that way.

This is unexpected.

I would recommend collecting 2-3 sets of logs (both Logos.log and LogosIndexer.log) from starting the program and posting them here. This should let us see what it's doing at startup and why "Preparing your library" is showing repeatedly.

Posts 66
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 6:05 PM

Mine does it every time, as well. I'm using the latest release of L6 and it took almost half an hour when I started it yesterday. 

Posts 18712
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 6:32 PM

Michael, please follow Bradley's request to collect 2-3 sets of logs. Instructions for enabling diagnostic logging and where to find the log files that are generated can be found here: https://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging .

To collect 2-3 sets of logs, since Logos overwrites the past log files each time, you'll need to do this procedure: Start up Logos, and after it has finished its "preparing your library" startup routine, close it. Rename the Logos.log and LogosIndexer.log files as Logos1.log and LogosIndexer1.log. Then do this process again and rename the files Logos2.log and LogosIndexer2.log. Do it one more time and rename them Logos3.log and LogosIndexer3.log. Then zip these files all together into one zip file (the wiki page explains how to do this).

Finally, post the zip file with all those logs in it here (here's the wiki page explaining how to do this: https://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs).

Sorry for the complication and that you have to go through the unpleasant waiting a few more times, but since it isn't happening on most people's computers, including the folks at Faithlife, they'll need your log files in order to get to the bottom of why this is happening specifically on your configuration, so thank you very much in advance for helping with the troubleshooting.

Posts 2016
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 12:17 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
This is unexpected.

I'm on a Mac and don't ever recall this NOT happening! I thought it's the expected behavior. Indifferent Granted, I have a fast laptop so it only appears for approximately 2 seconds (between "signing in" and "synchronizing"), but if this is unexpected I'll gladly go through the trouble of collecting and uploading multiple logs in order to help track down the issue. 

Is the window that I'm seeing the same issue being discussed here?

Posts 18712
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 1:29 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Is the window that I'm seeing the same issue being discussed here?

Not sure. What is the window that you're seeing?

Posts 2016
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 2:07 AM

Rosie Perera:
What is the window that you're seeing?

I took three screen shots to show what I see every time that I start Logos...

The "signing in" screen generally appears for a approx. 6 seconds.

The "preparing you library" window only shows for 1.5 to 2 seconds. This is the window I thought Bradley was referring to as "unexpected."

The "synchronizing" window appears for ~7 seconds, even when there is nothing new to sync. This is definitely more of a pain to me, but I do realize that I have the option of "skipping" this step and that it'll continue in the background. I just wish that I could set it to do this in the background by default. Almost all of my notes and other "documents" are created on one machine so I don't see a need to wait while "downloading" nothing every time I start Logos. On the other hand, I don't want to derail this thread from dealing with the "preparing your library" screen. Confused

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 3:19 AM

Reuben, the first and third screen shots are normal when starting the software. The second is not.

Post your logs for Logos to see.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 4:43 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
The "preparing you library" window only shows for 1.5 to 2 seconds. This is the window I thought Bradley was referring to as "unexpected."

This dialog had been appearing every time I started Logos, but when I just tried to duplicate your sequence, it did not appear—on either of two restarts. As recently as 2 weeks ago, it was very noticeable, sometimes lasting several seconds. But today, it did not appear.

I am using Logos 6.3 RC-2 (or is it 3?) with Mac OS 10.10.3

Posts 2418
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 9:54 AM

Am on a PC using 6.2 SR1 6.2.0.0043 and As Jack says " it was very noticeable, sometimes lasting several seconds"

But as he continues it no longer shows the "preparing you library" window.  

Posts 2016
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 11:43 AM

Perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow(?) when the stable 6.3 ships and see if it still affects me.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 2:11 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

This is unexpected.

I'm on a Mac and don't ever recall this NOT happening! I thought it's the expected behavior. Indifferent

Same here.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18712
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 2:41 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

Yes, that is the window being discussed here. It seems to be a common problem, though not universal. It doesn't happen to me, except when there's some reason to expect it (can't remember what triggers that; download of new resources, or update to a new version of Logos?).

Posts 463
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 3:26 PM

This is unexpected.

Always on Mac.

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.9 

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 6:55 PM

Same here - happens on every launch on both a migrated installation and a clean install. (Also on a Mac)

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2015 7:14 PM

Bradley had requested logs - please provide as per the earlier post from Rosie

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2016
Forum MVP

Dave Hooton:

Bradley had requested logs - please provide as per the earlier post from Rosie

Ok, I've attached the logs, so hopefully they'll come through. I captured 4 sets. The first two sets are when loading a blank layout and quitting again without loading anything. The third set is of starting with a blank layout, then loading a (decently complex) layout before quitting. The fourth set is starting with the aforementioned layout. I wasn't sure whether loading a layout would make a difference so I decided to err on the safe/redundant side.

Posts 2105
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 11:12 AM

Reuben, can you please check the behavior after installing the new 6.3? A number of things have changed in this release that may affect the problem. Please post log files again from the new version. Thanks for your help in investigating this!

Posts 2105
LogosEmployee

Thanks for posting your logs here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105208.aspx

I think the "preparing your library" issue is related to the resource update problem mentioned there. Please see that thread for an update.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS