Surface Pro 3 i5 vs i7

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 218
Scott Burke | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 18 2015 8:17 AM

If anyone has a Surface Pro 3, could you please tell me your opinion of it and how well Logos 6 runs on it? If you own an i5 version, does L6 run sufficiently for your needs?  How fast is it?  If you have an i7, how does L6 perform?  if you have either version, please let me know if you are happy with both the SP3 and also with running L6 on it.

I'm trying to weigh if purchasing an i7 SP3 is wise for my needs and budget.

Thank you and Lord bless!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 9:16 AM

Have you looked through other posts on the Surface Pro?  I know there are several but I don't know if that specific question has been asked.  Regular forum member Michael Childs and others have ha considerable experience with them and they reported good performance.  Maybe they can chime in with specifics of configuration. 

Here are some other links.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93436/649634.aspx#649634

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/84891.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/84067/590133.aspx#590133

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 7:18 PM

I have looked extensively into the differences of the i5 and i7 for Surface Pro 2, Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3.  The overall true test is what you plan on using the device for.  Is it for Bible Study only and only Bible related purposes?  Do you plan on using it for general all around purpose that includes Office Products?  Mail servers (Outlook or other)? Other software?  With all this taken into consideration,  the speed of the processor, amount of ram memory, and ssd size is a major consideration in necessity, not want.  I looked at these and for my personal choice I took into account all the various Bible programs, pdf's, txt msgs, other downloads, all the Office Products, especially Outlook for my 6 email accounts.  I took into account physical size, 10 versus 12 inches (not being precise here).  I took into account ram to aid in speed since indexing chews up both physical and virtual memory.  While Logos has many pictures and now HD aspects, video also played into account.  While I was sold wanting desperately to get the SP 3 i7, 8 gig ram, and possibly 512 gig ssd, the price was out, and that was with the lower end i7 and budget definitely killed trying to get the biggest, fastest i7, ram and ssd.  Searching on the internet, my dream machine was way over budget, over $2000.  The cheapest was almost $1800.  I resolved to try Amazon, their purchase support and recommendations.  I went with the SP 2 to have a slightly smaller footprint.  The sale was for newer generation i5 1.9 with turbo to 2.5, 8 gig ram and 512 ssd for $889.  It arrived through prime just the other day and after set-up and downloading over 25 gig worth of library and all the rest of my programs and installs I am down to about 360g in free space.  Like I said, I had a lot to transfer and I am not done.  I have training videos and more to go yet, so the larger ssd was a must.  To conclude, I am most pleased with my purchase including keyboard and dock with 2 additional yrs of service for under $1200.  Saving possibly over $1000 in budget that could go readily elsewhere.  So far it blazes and the ssd makes me want to look into ssd's for my desktop, prices for 512s and especially 1T isn't currently in the budget.  Overall, I am very pleased with my experience.  Sorry, the new and even older technology iMac's 11 or 13 were way out of budget and didn't meet the type of specs I got with the Surface Pro 2, i5-4300U with 8 gig ram and 512 ssd which by the way had about 479 gigs free out of box.  I did some searches and did purchase 38 books more in updating Chaplain's Library.  Indexing with the new Logos 6.3 was  barely below 1 minute.  Oh, background running services such as virus scanners etc. haven't really been discussed to much.  I did install a good virus/firewall/tuner software prior to installing Logos, protection is a necessity now a days.  I must commend Faithlife on the new update to 6.3.  I do really like automatic (without closing and restarting Logos) feature and the changes they made for indexing.  The iPad's didn't get near the size ssd I would prefer so they were chopped off the list quickly.  I made local visits to Best Buy and a few other places to look, touch, compare,  and looked into Internet sites also.  Microsoft does have a nice tool in searching needs for their products and had a good tool to help pick which type of Surface and specs to get.

Basically, only you really know your actual budget and what your true necessities over wants are.  I wish you blessings in your search and decision.

Rog

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 7:37 PM

Scott Burke:

If anyone has a Surface Pro 3, could you please tell me your opinion of it and how well Logos 6 runs on it? If you own an i5 version, does L6 run sufficiently for your needs?  How fast is it?  If you have an i7, how does L6 perform?  if you have either version, please let me know if you are happy with both the SP3 and also with running L6 on it.

I tried an i7 first before I took it back for an i5. The SP3 i5 runs Logos really well. I think it is the entire package, i5 + SSD + 8GB of RAM. I don't think you'll see much of a bump in speed in normal use with the i7. Maybe indexing will take a little shorter, but most reviews I have read say that it's really not much different.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 8:44 AM

Where is the best deal?  So many on ebay seem broken or scratched.

Posts 36
Nathan Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 10:46 PM

the deals will start to appear now that we are nearing back to school sales and with Microsoft nearing their normal release time frame (surface 4 due in October) the pro 3 version should start a slow decline in price as a matter of fact the Microsoft store is showing prices $100 lower then most stores

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3/productID.300190600

Nathan Madison

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 4:11 PM

I have enjoyed a Surface Pro 3, i5 since June, 2014. Logos 6 runs like a top. Everything runs lightning fast. The hardware is great.

I upgraded from a Surface Pro 2 to the Pro 3, mainly for the screen real estate. The Pro 3's lower weight was an added bonus.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS