New Feature: Concordance (Tool)

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 247
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 19 2015 9:07 AM

What is it?

The Concordance tool analyzes the data in a particular resource and allows you to filter that information with faceted search options (language, headings, and field). Traditional Search helps you find a term that you already know occurs in a resource, but the Concordance lists everything and lets you browse through it whether you already knew it was there or not.

With this level of analysis, you can quickly find what you already know you’re looking for (how many times a key term is used in the Bible or in a book), but also browse information you may otherwise know nothing about.

How does it work?

The Concordance tool extracts words and data from a particular resource and lists each unique word, lemma, or root as a heading with all the instances in the resource listed underneath. For English Bibles for which we have reverse interlinears, you can even filter word-sense data or biblical people, places, or things. You can quickly discover which character is mentioned most in the book of Acts, or discover the most commonly used senses in a book, chapter, or passage.

• New filter options for Bible word sense data and biblical entities data have been added to the Concordance tool. Concord by lemmas in Reverse Interlinears or discover references to people, places, things across your Bible.

• The concordance tool builds an index of all the data in any resource in your library and allows you to filter by primary source references such as biblical texts, Josephus, homer, or Xenophon. Sort the results by heading to find all the places Josephus is cited or by count to see which references are cited most often.

• The concordance tool also provides a comprehensive list of every work cited in a given resource. Click a citation from the hyperlinked list, and Logos will take you to the passage where that resource is referenced. Find out how many times an author cites a specific work. Discover how an author has influenced the work you're studying. Access a comprehensive list of resources to continue your own research. The Works Cited update to the Concordance Tool is a powerful, interactive index that serves as a gateway to deeper study.

What can I do with it?

• Faceted options like language and search fields help you quickly narrow the list down to just what you’re looking for.

• Sort headings by frequency to pick out key words.

• Narrow the Concordance to a specific Bible passage to see how its vocabulary differs from other passages.

Where can I learn more?

Watch it in action here.

Logos.com/Features#LogosNow
https://www.logos.com/product/51523/concordance-tool

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:09 PM

Hi, just started playing around the Concordance Data Set and I am really enjoying it.  Do you think we will see the option to select a Collection to build a Concordance?

Thanks,

DP

Posts 8162
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:41 PM

David, if no one from FL responds, I can say that this has been requested and FL has said they will likely implement this in the future.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1204
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:26 PM

Yes. It's definitely on our wishlist.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 2:08 PM

Thanks Phil, 

I appreciate it, and am looking forward to re-engaging with Logos/Faithlife

Warmest Regards,

Dave

Posts 1000
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:11 AM

Now that I have the L7 Full Feature Set, I'm enjoying the concordance tool as well.

I'm wondering though, whether there's a specific reason why it seems to be building an addtional index. I would have guessed, all the information to build a concordance would be part of the normal search index. Instead, I have to wait for index building whenever I open a resource in the tool that has not been opened before.

(Just an idea how to improve the tool in a future version :-)

--
Jan Krohn -- IT Consultant, Technical Leader and Missionary -- Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Cambodia Info -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 3681
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:38 AM

Jan Krohn:

I'm wondering though, whether there's a specific reason why it seems to be building an addtional index.

Due to a slippage in logic (and possibly a fear of the 'what if I haven't got an internet connection crowd') Faithlife decided to build concordance on the fly on you machine. This gives universal access.

But... the indexes are huge and if they were all cached would swamp many smaller hard drives (and possibly in fear of the 'I want to run my logos software on a crystal chip mounted in a match box' crowd) Faithlife decided to cache only about half a dozen concordances on your machine booting off one of the older ones when required.

Sensibly they would have done the whole business remotely and cached 1000s of the things.

Posts 1000
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:57 AM

Thanks! So I'll stop my current task then stockpiling concordances of my largest resources. Tongue Tied

--
Jan Krohn -- IT Consultant, Technical Leader and Missionary -- Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Cambodia Info -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 3681
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:34 AM

Jan Krohn:

Thanks! So I'll stop my current task then stockpiling concordances of my largest resources. Tongue Tied

Yep - that would show wisdom! 😉

Posts 3
Charles Goddard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2016 7:31 PM

Hello,

So I tried out the concordance tool for the first time. Very nice and powerful. One thing I was not able to do was see "red" words, in the list when the results are on a Bible resource. For example, I searched on love, expanded the list and verses like Jn 15:12 there is no red words. I was using another Bible software tool that keeps the font color in tact in the list. Is there an option setting I am missing or is this not a capability in the concordance tool?

Posts 191
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 3:36 AM

After two months of silence, I would suggest no one knows including myself. Sorry Charles. 

ASUS Rogue / 240 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos Now 

Posts 15313
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 9:28 AM

Charles Goddard:
Is there an option setting I am missing or is this not a capability in the concordance tool?

Welcome Big Smile

Concordance option for "red" words is Field: Words of Christ; screen shot shows Biblical Entity of Disciples that includes John 15:12

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23548
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 1:11 PM

Bootjack:
After two months of silence, I would suggest no one knows including myself.

Actually, if the question had been put in a new thread it likely would have been answered. Just an FYI, placing a question in an Announcement thread or tacking onto someone else's issue is a good way to get overlooked. It is always better to error on the side of creating a new thread as unanswered threads are more visible.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3
Charles Goddard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 3:55 PM

Thanks so much. I will give it a try. 

Posts 3
Charles Goddard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 3:56 PM

Bootjack ... thanks for reviving the question. Much appreciated.

God bless.

Posts 191
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2016 12:39 AM

Your welcome Charles. It seems as though the fires did indeed get stoked pertaining to your long awaited answer.  :-) 

ASUS Rogue / 240 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos Now 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.