Is Basic verbum worth it? What if my computer breaks, do I lose the program?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
John Akau | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 21 2015 8:58 PM

I'm just interested in learning from Verbum Basic, as it was recommended by an apologist from EWTN when I emailed them about the best source for bible study.  

Posts 26830
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 9:06 PM

Welcome to the forums. The program Verbum is free - you may run it on as many devices as you own. What you buy are resources that are kept functional as the program evolves over time. If you change computers, you simply login under your account and load everything automatically onto the new computer.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
John Akau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 9:17 PM

Why wouldn't I just buy a book from a reading list and read them?  I don't understand what verbum will do to enhance my understanding compared to just at reading a bunch of books..

Posts 26830
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 9:34 PM

Initially the primary advantage is that by hovering over a Bible reference you can read the reference in the translation you prefer. If you read the catechism. you are one click away from being able to read the references to Church Fathers, Church documents, etc. that you own. And you are able to make notes available in the book but you can modify them, expand on them, attach them to more than one page which you can't do with ink on the page or a notebook.

As your needs grow, you'll find that you can search in complex ways that you cannot do from an index in a book, that you have easy access to lectionary readings with a commentary, Calendar of the saints with pictures and readings ...

And your library cannot burn, receive water damage, get lost ....

https://verbum.com/about/what-is-verbum will give you a basic introduction. But you are correct that the computer can only assist you so far. You still have to read and think for yourself.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Tom Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 4:16 AM

I have a question on hoovering over a resource - specifically Liguori's "Divine Office" (commentary on the Psalms).  When I click on a link the Psalm is off by one since the Psalms of older bibles don't match those of newer bibles.  Is there any workaround for this short of changing my preferred Bible to the Douay Rheims when I'm using that Liguori resource. 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:03 AM

Hi Tom,

You may need to show us a little more detail, but let me take a shot at your question as I understand it.  Basically, I think the linking between Ligouri's commentary and some of the modern English translations may be correct even though you are seeing what seems to be a disconnect starting at Psalm 10 and forward.  In other words, I think the translation matches, at least is some modern English bibles, even though it appears the Psalm number is off by one.

In the screen shot below I have Ligouri on the left and the RSV2CE on the right.  This bible shows both numbering schemes.  The bracketed number is that of the Greek used by the Latin Vulgate and translations based on it.  You can see that when I click on Psalm 12 in Liguori I come automatically to Psalm 13 [12] in the bible.  Comparing the comment on 12:2 it appears that it lines up with the verse in the RSV2CE.

In the next screen shot I do the same thing but this time with the NABRE which uses the same Hebrew numbering but does not show the Greek.  Here it just shows Psalm 13.  As before,  I click on Psalm 12 in Ligouri I come automatically to Psalm 13 in the bible. The slight difference here is that in the NABRE the superscriptions are numbered as verse 1, whereas is the RSV2CE they are not numbered at all.  This causes a shift in one verse for all the Psalms.  The point, however, is that clicking Psalm 12 in Ligouri goes automatically to Psalm 13 in the NABRE, which is the correct link in this case.

The Douay links also automatically to the correct Psalm in Ligouri but it shows there only the Greek (Latin Vulgate) numbering so it appears correct at first blush, which it is.

In the examples above, with the exception of the verse numbering difference in the NABRE, all three bibles are linking to the correct Psalm in Ligouri, despite some appearances of numbering differences.  Other modern English translations based only on the Greek will be off starting in Psalm 10 and don't come back together until 148.

Knowing that Ligouri used the Vulgate while composing the commentary, this seems to make sense, to me at least.

Does that help point in the right direction?

Posts 20
Tom Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:27 AM

Thanks Steve, for the very helpful and quick reply! Your post prompted me to try other translations, and it turns out translation matters greatly, at least for mobile device (which is what I currently have access to).  If I set the New American Bible or RSVCE or NRSV, I do get the correctly linked Psalm, if I use New Jerusalem Bible or RSVCE2 I don't. So it appears some translations are more supported by Logos/Verbum than others. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:35 AM

Steve:
Other modern English translations based only on the Greek will be off starting in Psalm 10 and don't come back together until 148.

No matter what translation you use, all links should take you to the correct verse. Unless there's a bug or a tagging error. 

If you right-click on the link to 12:4, you will see that it says Ps 12:4 Bible (DR). Logos knows that Ps 12:4 Bible (DR) = Ps 13:4 Bible, in their default verse mapping scheme.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:39 AM

Tom Smith:
If I set the New American Bible or RSVCE or NRSV, I do get the correctly linked Psalm, if I use New Jerusalem Bible or RSVCE2 I don't.

I'm not allowed to buy the NJB, but I do get the correct verse in the RSVCE2. At least on my Mac. Don't have time to try the iPad right now.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2416
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:39 AM

Tom Smith:

I have a question on hoovering over a resource - specifically Liguori's "Divine Office" (commentary on the Psalms).  When I click on a link the Psalm is off by one since the Psalms of older bibles don't match those of newer bibles.  Is there any workaround for this short of changing my preferred Bible to the Douay Rheims when I'm using that Liguori resource. 

Try reading the Logos Wiki on the subject:

[[The first few times you look at these pages you are going to get LOST - so did most of the rest of us the first few times]]

https://wiki.logos.com/Bible_Datatypes  For a list of most of the Bibles in Logos

https://wiki.logos.com/Bible_Verse_Maps   To show how the verses in each line up

In general just know that some different versions have verses numbered differently.  Don't worry about the numbers just review the Bible text.

You might want to try opening several of the versions and just "look around". 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:26 AM

Very cool, David.  I had not seen the verse maps before.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:28 AM

fgh:

Tom Smith:
If I set the New American Bible or RSVCE or NRSV, I do get the correctly linked Psalm, if I use New Jerusalem Bible or RSVCE2 I don't.

I'm not allowed to buy the NJB, but I do get the correct verse in the RSVCE2. At least on my Mac. Don't have time to try the iPad right now.

I get the correct verse also in the RSV2CE.

Posts 2416
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 11:22 AM

Steve:

Very cool, David.  I had not seen the verse maps before.

I am very slowly trying to get an older version of the Douay Rheims into Logos as a PBB [the Pre Challoner's revision].  So I HAD to learn about the verse maps.  Someone on this forum showed me so I pass on the favor.  

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 11:34 AM

One thing you may wish to do is get the Catechism of the Catholic Church Collection (9 vols.) this $50 collection will not have all the bells and whistles that you get in Verbum Basic but it will give you a good feel for Verbum and what it can do for your study. IF (but more likely WHEN) you decide to get Basic the dynamic pricing will lower the Basic package by the $49.99. 

-Dan

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 11:39 AM

David Ames:
I am very slowly trying to get an older version of the Douay Rheims into Logos as a PBB [the Pre Challoner's revision].  So I HAD to learn about the verse maps.  Someone on this forum showed me so I pass on the favor.

If you completed this I would be glad if you would share the docx file so I could have it in my verbum.

-Dan

Posts 981
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 1:44 PM

Dan Francis:
One thing you may wish to do is get the Catechism of the Catholic Church Collection (9 vols.)

Some of us would LOVE to but live on the wrong side of the pond!!

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 3:58 PM

JohnB:

Understand fully.... By the time I got the Catechism I was not suppose to get it being in Canada, but they allowed preorders that had been placed before it was known it was USA only at first. Hopefully one day they will have world wide rights to distribute the Catechism.

-Dan

Posts 3086
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 5:03 PM

Dan Francis:

JohnB:

Understand fully.... By the time I got the Catechism I was not suppose to get it being in Canada, but they allowed preorders that had been placed before it was known it was USA only at first. Hopefully one day they will have world wide rights to distribute the Catechism.

For anyone following along, Canadians can now buy the Catechism 'legit' for Verbum.

Posts 2416
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:14 PM

Dan Francis:

If you completed this I would be glad if you would share the docx file so I could have it in my verbum.

So far I only have the Gospels done.  Only doing what I need to for my current study.  Now working Danial and Revelation but I have six other studies that I 'need' to do first.   Am converting from a for pay PDF file but have seen it for free on the net.  If I ever get close to something useful will contact the formatting copyright holder to see if I can pass along the reworked file.

[[Will contact that person and see if they would be willing to release it to Faithlife.]]

Posts 2416
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 6:20 PM

JohnB:

Dan Francis:
One thing you may wish to do is get the Catechism of the Catholic Church Collection (9 vols.)

Contact your local [wrong side of the pond] Bishop.  Maybe if people ask there might be a way for the local council of Bishops to allow Logos rights on the wrong side of the pond.   [[[Re: "the wrong side of the pond"  You used the term so I felt free to do the same - the CCC and other church books are controlled by the local regional council of Bishops - Logos got permission from the US / Canada group -  good hunting]]]

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS