FL licensed e-ink reader

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 29 2015 12:07 PM

There has been a long history of requests for the ability to use a e-ink tablet that can run ably the FL apps. At present, the official position of FL seems to be that they don't support any, period. 

But what about doing what amazon did with the kindle and market your own dedicated tablet? It would not (indeed if it wants to compete, should not) be limited to being able to run FL apps. But if FL partners with a manufacturer to create and market a tablet optimized for using its apps, they can create a monopoly while giving FL users what they want: a e-ink tablet that works well with FL resources. 

I confess that I have absolutely no idea of what would all be involved in doing this. But considering what kind of avenues of growth FL has been exploring, I am not sure that the idea is a priori far-fetched. 

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 12:34 PM

Speaking only for myself, I'm not interested in having yet another electronic device. It would have to be very special to get me interested.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2942
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 1:15 PM

Francis:
But considering what kind of avenues of growth FL has been exploring, I am not sure that the idea is a priori far-fetched. 

If it were cheap to do, I think you'd be right. But it's not.

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 3:24 AM

SineNomine:
If it were cheap to do, I think you'd be right. But it's not.

I would not know, but in case it was not clear, my suggestion was not that FL starts developing tablets, but that they partner with a company that does, such as Onyx. The problem with current e-ink tablets is that (1) The android version is not always sufficiently up-to-date to use the latest installments of FL apps and (2) They do not render well visual aspects of the apps such as highlighting, links, etc. If FL could obtain from one of these companies to attend to this and then advertise their use for FL apps and offer corresponding support for these tablets hardware in relation to their apps, would it be expensive/difficult to do? 

I guess the other question is how much of a market there really is for something like that. I know that a number of users such as Mark Barnes, myself and others are keenly interested in a workable e-ink solution, but I don't know how many we really are and if we are sufficiently many to make it worth FL's while. 

Kevin Byford could be a good person to hear from on this.

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 5:53 AM

Francis:
I know that a number of users such as Mark Barnes, myself and others are keenly interested in a workable e-ink solution

I would be part of that list

Francis:
but I don't know how many we really are and if we are sufficiently many to make it worth FL's while. 

I don't know the answer to this but I'm guessing that there would not be enough to make it worth their while.I think that there is more hope for a manufacturer like Apple to produce a new version of the ipad with e-ink. I would love that!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 6:10 AM

If I wanted such a device I'd pick one up. I have hundreds of books, maybe a thousand or more in Kindle... I don't have an e-ink reader for those, and I wouldn't get one for Logos. I'd prefer their efforts be spent on already existing projects :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 6:39 AM

Let's just forget that I suggested this considering that it has mostly been met with negative response. 

My self-esteem is shattered Crying

Posts 3637
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 10:19 AM

Francis:

Let's just forget that I suggested this considering that it has mostly been met with negative response. 

My self-esteem is shattered Crying

However, the idea is not new:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/45910/341333.aspx 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 4:20 AM

As I've a lot of books in Logos, and I use Logos to compose my one or two sermons each week for next sunday, I would LOVE a Logos powered e-ink device.

At the moment I've the Onyx T68, which runs Android, and supports the Logos app. Works great. Reading books and commentaries on a e-ink screen is way better than reading on a tablet (not to mention that there isn't an app for my Windows tablet). But the problem is, that the newest Logos app is not supported on the T68, meaning my e-reader won't read some of the Logos books.

So, please, please, please, Faithlife, please bring a e-reader with e-ink on the market, or choose one of the Android e-readers and commit to supporting that device. Reading on a e-ink screen is the best way to read electronic books...

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 4:28 AM

Simon:
the problem is, that the newest Logos app is not supported on the T68

Is it possible to stick with an older version of the app?

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 5:23 AM

Francis:

Simon:
the problem is, that the newest Logos app is not supported on the T68

Is it possible to stick with an older version of the app?

Simon has found that some resources require a more recent version - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/730080.aspx#730080 

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 5:47 AM

Graham Criddle:
Simon has found that some resources require a more recent version - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/730080.aspx#730080 

I am not entirely sure that this is what was meant. Simon only said that some resources did not display with the former version he used. Why it is so is unclear. 

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 6:04 AM

Francis:
Why it is so is unclear. 

Sorry - Kevin advised that a more recent version is required later in the thread - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/730285.aspx#730285 

Or am I missing your point?

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 6:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

Sorry - Kevin advised that a more recent version is required later in the thread - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/730285.aspx#730285 

Or am I missing your point?

No, I am the one who missed that. I was looking at what Simon had written and did not see what Kevin had answered. My bad. I am a bit perplexed about the idea that books could require a late version to display correctly considering that there are still many tablets out there that have older versions on Android and on which the latest installments of the apps cannot be installed. 

Now that more funds are being put into cloud access, one is to hope that development will benefit biblia.com too so as to allow an alternative means of access that reasonably workable. This may be a blindspot in FL's thinking since they seem to think of the Cloud approach as an alternative to full ownership (presumably to desktop versions) when indeed it could be an important step forward for mobile access (where apps won't work). The cloud option would provide functionality that biblia.com cannot provide such as note-taking and highlighting. This would be a welcome equivalent to what amazon has done by providing, in addition to kindle-based, pc/mac based, or mobile-based readers, a cloud reader that syncs with them all. 

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 8:39 AM

Can anyone recommend an Android e-ink reader that they find works well with the Logos app?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS