Base package Vs Bundles

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 686
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:41 PM

Base package Vs Bundles which gives the greater value? 

Posts 5361
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:46 PM

Base package.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:52 PM

I had L5 Diamond and don't see much value in a L6 base package unless you go very big- which I'm not. I started buying bundles that were relevant to my needs. Probably go to a new large base package sometime later- L7?

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:53 PM

Robert Peters:

That all depends on how you define value! Stick out tongue

Base Packages will be a lot cheaper per book, but then you'll have a lot more books which you might never use. Be aware, however, that sometimes the "fluff" proves to be useful! Bundles (except "master/library-builder bundles") will be less likely to bring "fluff" books into your library, but then they'll be more expense per book.

Bottom line: If you want broad topic coverage, then a BP will definitely be your best bet. If you're researching for a paper/thesis/etc, then (if there's a bundle that's directly related) a bundle will probably get you better bang for your buck.

I personally think that most people will probably want a combination of the two. 

Posts 257
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:04 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

Robert Peters:

Base Packages will be a lot cheaper per book, but then you'll have a lot more books which you might never use. Be aware, however, that sometimes the "fluff" proves to be useful! Bundles (except "master/library-builder bundles") will be less likely to bring "fluff" books into your library, but then they'll be more expense per book.

Bottom line: If you want broad topic coverage, then a BP will definitely be your best bet. If you're researching for a paper/thesis/etc, then (if there's a bundle that's directly related) a bundle will probably get you better bang for your buck.

I personally think that most people will probably want a combination of the two. 

I agree that both is a great option.  I went with the platinum package as a lay person just looking for a serious bible study tool because of the commentaries included in the base package plus the Logos 6 Pro features.  Getting NAC, PNTC, NIGTC, JPS Tanankh, and Exegetical Summary Series in the base package alone was a pretty good deal for me.  I also got the diamond base package for a good price because I also bought NICOT/NICNT, BDAG, and Hebrews audio  offered to me for a very good price as a bundle.  I got a 20% off code for the base package from a conference I attended which also helped a lot.

So I don't see it as an either/or question, but a both/when question.  I'd get the gold base package and add bundles to it as needed.  If you have stuff you already want out of the gate, talking to a sales person can get you good deals.  Adding NICOT/NICNT to my base package "only" cost $1099 versus $1699 at the time.

Posts 2796
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:09 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

Thanks - Very good  explanation of the topic.  And Yes, yesterday's fluff just maybe the very resource you will need tomorrow.

Reuben Helmuth:

Agree, 

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:48 AM

Also, if you are buying a Base Package, you can add on a bundle with a 15% discount.  Sometimes, depending on the resources you currently have, a Base Package upgrade can be pretty cheap, and can really make the bundles worthwhile!

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:09 PM

Before the advent of the Reformed Base Pacakges, I would have said I lean towards bundles.  But with the new themed base packages, I find most of what I would want is in there.  For more specific studies, ie Baptist Studies, the bundle was the way to go.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS