How do you find the last page read in a book?

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Terry Stewart | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 5:06 AM

I completely agree Larry.  I find it hard to believe with as long as Logos has been out it has not already been fixed.  Then again this is the first time I ran into the problem, and I have been a Logos user for many years.  It is an important issue though.  Maybe someone from Logos will read these and chime in.

Terry Stewart

Larry:

This is a big problem for me. 

For instance, I was reading Schaeffer, and I went back to look at some previous passages. I went away from it for a while, and now I can't find where I was. When I open it, it goes to the last page viewed. When I open it in mobile, it goes to the title page. 

This is a major drawback for reading. It's why I prefer the Kindle app because there is a "sync to furthest point read." 

IMO, this is something that needs a quick fix. It would greatly help the reading process.

Posts 762
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 11:04 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

You can right click on any reading in the reading plan to mark that reading as completed.

Thank you.  That helps.  Now if I could just see ahead of my current reading and, finally (I can be hard to please) mark the advanced readings within the resource.  If I have elected to see all readings, then already "read" selections should be so marked within the text.

As it is, I will experiment with your method and see what it looks like when I read a selection in advance, then encounter the "read" selection while I am reading from the prior unread selection.  It will be interesting to see what happens when I mark the prior selection "read".

Posts 762
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 11:11 AM

Larry:

This is a big problem for me. 

For instance, I was reading Schaeffer, and I went back to look at some previous passages. I went away from it for a while, and now I can't find where I was. When I open it, it goes to the last page viewed. When I open it in mobile, it goes to the title page. 

This is a major drawback for reading. It's why I prefer the Kindle app because there is a "sync to furthest point read." 

IMO, this is something that needs a quick fix. It would greatly help the reading process.

I tend to disagree.  While your case would help you find your place because you scanned backwards,  I would just be as likely to scan forward in the text; thus, ruining the notion of "sync to furthest point read".  I am currently reading a book in Kindle which has a study guide at the end of the book.  In order to not mess up my automated bookmarks, I have avoided reading the study guide.  However, I will have to do that this week since we are putting together a course schedule based on it.

On Kindle I rely most heavily on the ability to place a bookmark visually on the page. It can later be located in the same menu as the TOC.  I believe that Logos should consider bookmarks which are bundled with the resource rather than in Favorites.  That way one could have many bookmarks.  Labels on the bookmarks would be even better.

Posts 1428
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 4:04 PM

David A Egolf:

I believe that Logos should consider bookmarks which are bundled with the resource rather than in Favorites.  That way one could have many bookmarks.  Labels on the bookmarks would be even better.

That, I like!  Yes

Posts 1
Steve Farrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 4:21 PM

Great question and discussion.  I just called Logos to ask this very question and was basically told they do not provide training over the phone.  Very frustrating for something so extremely basic.  I suspect the CSR had no idea since he pretty much mumbled a bit before giving me his reply.  Disappointing that I can't read my books without having to recall the last page I was reading on my own.  So much to learn.

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 4:57 PM

Steve, those look like nice flowers!  

The challenge here is Logos' penchant for fragmenting the user interface, carefully and thoughtfully.

Back at the start of Logos4, they came up with the idea of treadmarks on the scrollbar.  Now, maybe I'm wrong, but that predated Kindle's treadmarks.  The problem was, there were so many treadmarks, searchmarks, etc everyone (an exageration) demanded to turn them off.  Logos did so, but angrily refused to let users simply erase old treadmarks to avoid so many.  It was a great idea gone horribly wrong.

Then Logos did the mobile apps.  Being less emotional, the mobilers kept the users' pinkies off tread-removal, but did use more common sense ... just a few recent marks. Very smart. Also they showed total user contact, by bending the treadscroll into a circle. Wa-la ... piechart!  Impressively cute, the desktoppers copied their idea (while protecting the treadmarks at all cost).

The mobilers were sorely miff-ified.  What could they do that the desktoppers would absolutely refuse to copy??  Ergo the now well known 'Black Stripe of Death' to show furtherest position on the apps.  The desktoppers were mortified.

This gentlemen, is why you struggle mightily on your desktop.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 9:08 AM

The percentage of a book that is read seems to be quite arbitrary to me. I have read whole books which show as only a little read and barely touched others that are quite far along...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2015 12:53 PM

David A Egolf:

I believe that Logos should consider bookmarks which are bundled with the resource rather than in Favorites.  That way one could have many bookmarks.  Labels on the bookmarks would be even better.

That would be a great feature. I need many more bookmarks than the 9 we are limited to. I'm often in the middle of more than 9 books at a time, and might want to save my place at more than one point in a book. Labels would be good too -- might want to label some bookmarks as being for a particular course I'm taking, others for personal enrichment, others just random.

Posts 10
Manny Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 9:53 AM

I am in complete agreement with everyone. A simple bookmark should have been a simple default feature in LOGOS, Vyrso, Noet, etc. I really hope that Logos would incorporate this soon.

Posts 9100
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 10:19 AM

David A Egolf:

Great suggestion. This would solve a lot of issues.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2015 12:48 AM

Manny Santiago:
A simple bookmark should have been a simple default feature in LOGOS

There is a simple bookmark feature by default. That's not what people have been complaining about. But it's limited to only 9 bookmarks, across all your books.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS