Advanced Exegesis

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2015 3:31 AM

Daniel, part of the answer resides in what your aptitudes and purposes are.

For instance, MJ's response is more of a scholarly approach. There are many out there who do not relate well to the various critical approaches. Fee's volume is, in my opinion, more geared toward pastors preparing sermons but refrains from engaging the various critical methodologies at an advanced level.

Likewise, textual criticism has its uses, but it is a more restricted crowd that will make it a part of their normal study routine and it involves developing corresponding skills with regard to the original languages, understanding of the transmission of manuscripts and of approaches used to weigh the evidence.

So, the answer to your query really is conditioned by these elements. 

Posts 24
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 6:26 PM

At this point I'm not looking to prepair sermons, as I'm not a pastor.I just want to depen my understanding of the Word intellectually and on a heart level. I do understand that the ability to employ certain techniques requires a lot of work. So I'm not looking to be proficient at any of them tomorrow. At this point I'm focusing on becoming proficent at reading the biblical languages. And then I intend to move on to emplying many of those techniques in my study. I'm taking things one step at a time, the next step for me is a broad overview of many of the things on my first post, what they are, how they relate to one another, how to use them apart or together. And then narrowing down to the next step after reading and working through them in order.

Posts 33271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 7:33 PM

I'll suggest the that you give my list a closer look. The broader approach, despite Francis calling it "academic", allows you to leverage what you do know or are particularly interested in and apply it to Bible study. History, literature, farming, fishing, boat building ... ell have their application at some point in Bible interpretation. God can work with anything that you use that has you reading the text closely and listening to God.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 12078
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 1:26 AM

Tes:

Nicholas Roland:

I do not think it is currently available in Logos, but I learned a great deal from Bock and Fanning's Interpreting the New Testament TextIt is an excellent step-by-step guide to all of the processes you describe. It assumes basic competency in Greek. I hope this helps!

It would be good if we could have it in Logos.

Why don't we have it already? It's a Crossway book! A great list of contributors (including the DTS faculty plus more) and a chapter on diagramming the Greek text seem to make this a very desirable resource. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 85
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 8:27 AM

You already have a number of good recommendations...I hesitate to add another, but as I read the post and especially your responses I thought this might be a resource that could be of help to you.  I don't have it in Logos, but I have the 2nd edition in print and it does a nice job of laying out various aspects of the hermeneutical task.  It is written as an introductory textbook and as such covers a lot of territory, but obviously can't go into any area with great depth, but if you are looking at dipping your foot into the ocean...this book does provide a great place to begin.  This combined with some good commentary resources and your language study should serve you well.

https://www.logos.com/product/9374/grasping-gods-word-a-hands-on-approach-to-reading-interpreting-and-applying-the-bible

Posts 463
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 9:08 AM

Nicholas Roland:
I do not think it is currently available in Logos, but I learned a great deal from Bock and Fanning's Interpreting the New Testament TextIt is an excellent step-by-step guide to all of the processes you describe. It assumes basic competency in Greek. I hope this helps!

I have not read this book so I can't comment on its quality. Two quick thoughts from its Amazon listing:

1. The table of contents looks really good (even if the page count for each topic looks a little sparse).
  2. The authors are from Dallas Theological Seminary. I don't know the degree to which that influences the book as a whole but it will have huge impacts on chapters 11 and 12.
Posts 24
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 13 2015 8:12 AM

MJ. Smith:

I'll suggest the that you give my list a closer look. The broader approach, despite Francis calling it "academic", allows you to leverage what you do know or are particularly interested in and apply it to Bible study. History, literature, farming, fishing, boat building ... ell have their application at some point in Bible interpretation. God can work with anything that you use that has you reading the text closely and listening to God.

Are you recomending the book you cited then?

Posts 24
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 13 2015 8:14 AM

Paul:

You already have a number of good recommendations...I hesitate to add another, but as I read the post and especially your responses I thought this might be a resource that could be of help to you.  I don't have it in Logos, but I have the 2nd edition in print and it does a nice job of laying out various aspects of the hermeneutical task.  It is written as an introductory textbook and as such covers a lot of territory, but obviously can't go into any area with great depth, but if you are looking at dipping your foot into the ocean...this book does provide a great place to begin.  This combined with some good commentary resources and your language study should serve you well.

https://www.logos.com/product/9374/grasping-gods-word-a-hands-on-approach-to-reading-interpreting-and-applying-the-bible

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:11 AM

Dave Moser:

I have not read this book so I can't comment on its quality. Two quick thoughts from its Amazon listing:

1. The table of contents looks really good (even if the page count for each topic looks a little sparse).
  2. The authors are from Dallas Theological Seminary. I don't know the degree to which that influences the book as a whole but it will have huge impacts on chapters 11 and 12.

Hey Dave, you are wise in your observations. I am a Dallas Seminary guy, so I am obviously biased, but I think the authors wrote this book with the intention of it gaining wide use among evangelicals. It seems like they were as guarded as possible about not letting the dispensational system influence too much of what was written. Chapter 11 is definitely one where, I would imagine, people from different systems would go a different direction. Again, my own background might make me blind to many presuppositions present in the book. Thanks!

Posts 173
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:37 AM

These are great resources for advanced exegesis.  Neither available in Logos however.  

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS