[resolved] Discovering terms describing Christians

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Pastor Tim Elliott | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 10 2015 11:42 PM

How would I go about discovering a list of terms/phrases that the Bible uses to describe Christ's followers?

Examples:

Saints

Lively stones

Joint heir with Jesus

Any help would be appreciated!

Posts 24747
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 2:18 AM

Many terms are covered by <Person xxxx> tags e.g. saints are often <Person A Believer>. Others incl. <Person A Disciple>, <Person A Church>, <Person An Heir>. I just found these by going to known verses that describe Christ's followers. But the terms used in 1 Peter 2:4, 9, 16 are quite unique.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 3:11 AM

Pastor Tim Elliott:
How would I go about discovering a list of terms/phrases that the Bible uses to describe Christ's followers?

I don't think you can do this particularly easily. Willmington’s Book of Bible Lists is often a good start for this sort of thing, but nothing is listed for this particular query. The Dictionary of Bible Themes is also excellent, which has a fairly helpful section called "Titles of the People of God", though it's not exhaustive.

I'd therefore combine the DBT with the Bible Sense Lexicon, I think. Use a reverse interlinear to find the sense of words that you are already aware of or have found in the DBT, and then use the BSL to expand your list. That will show you senses, you can then click on individual senses to see the Greek words used.

If you have Logos Now, you could also use the Concordance Tool on a Reverse Interlinear Bible. View Biblical Entities, Restrict to the NT and to Groups of People. You'll still have a relatively long-list, but you should be able to scan through it and find one or two of interest, perhaps. Bear in mind that the names of the "entities" are those assigned by the editors, and won't necessarily be described in that way in the Bible itself.

It will still take a little while to piece it all together, however it will still be much quicker than with pencil and paper!

Posts 27
Pastor Tim Elliott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 9:02 AM

Thanks for the recommendations... working on compiling a list now.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS