Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:50 AM

I just upgraded to L4 Platinum and am excited about using the BDAG.  It comes with some instructions on how to search for certain things but it doesn't seem that I can do it in L4.  See below:

Perhaps an example is best. The word Jerusalem occurs in BDAG 213 times. However, it occurs as a Formal Equivalent only seven times in four articles. Therefore, if one is able to search sensitively to the Formal Equivalent field, one may sharpen his or her search focus quite easily.

To search sensitively to specific fields:

1. Click on the Search button or invoke the Search drop-down menu and select the Search BDAG option. A Search BDAG dialog will display.

2. Select the appropriate field from the drop-down list, type your search query, and click on Search. For the Jerusalem example, select Formal Equivalent from the drop-down list. Then type Jerusalem.

3. Click Search.

I don't see a drop down list showing formal equivalent or any other fields.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:50 AM

See this wiki page, Anthony. I just found this the other day.

http://wiki.logos.com/BDAG_Search

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:23 AM

Thank you!!  You are the formal equivalent of a genius!!  hehe

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:49 AM

Anthony, you'll also probably want to work through this:

http://ntresources.com/documents/UsingBDAG.pdf

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:51 AM

Thank you both for this info...the BDAG search worked great...and the "HOW TO" was very much appreciated!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:15 AM

Thanks Brian and Mike for your information, like Anthony I upgraded to Platinum and was just getting around to wanting to use BDAG but couldn't find out the best approach.

Thanks again and God bless.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:58 PM

I'm five months late in joining this thread but I wanted to thank you all for asking and answering this.  I bought BDAG recently to use with the Learn Greek DVDs and the amount of info is a little overwhelming to someone who has not used it before.  The links here were really helpful!

Peace...

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 5238
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:11 PM

Ditto.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:24 PM

Mike Aubrey:

Anthony, you'll also probably want to work through this:

http://ntresources.com/documents/UsingBDAG.pdf

Thank you muchly, Mike!  Most appreciated!

BTW - I had the privilege of having Fred Danker as my professor for a couple of courses in very late 50's and early 60's...

We called him "Red Fred," in contrast to "Black Bill" who was also a professor at the time at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri

*smile*     Peace to you, Mike!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:44 PM

Having read this resurrected thread - thank you, Kay! - I thought I'd try doing a little work with BDAG - have used it quite a number of times since L4 came out in various studies with no problem!                             

- so I thought I'd "hone my skills" ....    and practice a few things with BDAG  ...    experiment a little on a pleasant and sleepy beautiful summer evening ...

*smile*

Then, I discovered that I am missing the BDAG Help File  ....  (I have Portfolio and a heap of other resources ... so I should have it   ...     had it in L3!)

I sort of remember that others had this missing in a thread a while back; but, I've searched  the Forums and am unable to find it...

Does anyone remember the solution to this problem???

The update resources is greyed out ..  so I cannot try that ...   

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:46 PM

Kaye, apologies for spelling your name incorrectly ....

left off an "e"  -- which in a recent post is someone's favourite ...    *smile*

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:53 PM

No problem!  It still sounds the same - K, Kay or Kaye.  My grandmother thought Kay was too plain for the new little redhead in the family.  :-)

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 5:49 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Then, I discovered that I am missing the BDAG Help File  .... 

The BDAG help file was specifically on how to use the BDAG search addin for Libronix. Its info isn't all that pertinent to Logos 4. Besides the "About the Electronic Edition" of BDAG has essentially the same info as the help "book"

See also: http://wiki.logos.com/BDAG_Search

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 6:01 PM

Thank you, Kevin!  *smile*

You are very much appreciatied.  On this beautiful, warm, pleasant Sunday evening I should have realised that and thought it though.  Of course you are correct! 

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:02 PM

I also have the platinum but bought BDAG many years ago - I even have to update logos 3 with by BDAG CD for the search option to be available.  But like you I don't get the drop down menu.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:03 PM

I get the same thing hope someone can give us an answer.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS