Can I buy a consonant?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:43 PM

I've asked about this before, and have been violently ignored, but I'm pretty stubborn and I'll ask again.

Why are there only the six or seven listed letters available in the grossly over-simplified shortcut bar icon choices? Why not make the whole alphabet available?

Any why does the text in the red box (screenshot) lock up and become uneditable if you click anywhere else in the dropdown?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 25663
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 12:28 AM

Doc B:
Why are there only the six or seven listed letters available in the grossly over-simplified shortcut bar icon choices?

I'll refrain from guessing

Doc B:
Any why does the text in the red box (screenshot) lock up and become uneditable if you click anywhere else in the dropdown?

I can't reproduce this e.g. when I click an icon I can still edit the text. Does this occur for every shortcut? Have you tried to recreate it?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 6:04 PM

Dave Hooton:
I can't reproduce this e.g. when I click an icon I can still edit the text. Does this occur for every shortcut? Have you tried to recreate it?

I was able to reproduce it multiple times on that computer, but haven't tried it on others.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 8:35 PM

Doc B:
Why are there only the six or seven listed letters available in the grossly over-simplified shortcut bar icon choices? Why not make the whole alphabet available?

Did anybody ever come up with a plausible answer to this question?

Posts 3765
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 11:25 PM

I assume that the reason for the limited letters choice is simply to keep the drop-down menu reasonably small. Considering the size of the toolbar space, there is only room for a limited number of shortcuts there anyway, hence there is no need to provide for many icon options. The letters provided are the most frequently used in classification.

I am not very fond of the icons there but I am not sure what would be a better alternative. I think the number of options is fine, it's just the selection that is uninspiring. But as I said, I don't have any concrete idea of what would be better (certainly not smilies type of icons!). I asked Hobbes for feedback, but since there are other people around, he won't speak to me. :)

As for the uneditable part, I am not sure what you mean. Mine remains editable at any point. Makes me wonder if you are running Logos on a Mac (mine is in Windows) as there seems to be more little problems like this on that platform.

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 23 2015 7:02 AM

Francis:
As for the uneditable part,

That was a bug that was apparently fixed in a subsequent update. It doesn't happen any more.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 23 2015 1:44 PM

Hi, Doc. I was heavily involved in the L4 redesign, and honestly, I don't remember why we limited those shortcut icons to just the options that are there now. The dark corners of my memory say something like: That's what L3 had, so we just carried it forward without change in the name of backward compatibility. Maybe.

In any case, I agree we could have more there, and I'll add the suggestion to our list. (Popup size shouldn't be too much of an issue; we can add a scroll bar.)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS