looking to purchase

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Wendy Horning | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 14 2015 8:22 AM

Interested in purchasing Logos. Teach women's bible studies and a biblical counselor. Which version of logos would you recommend

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 8:38 AM

Wendy Horning:

Interested in purchasing Logos. Teach women's bible studies and a biblical counselor. Which version of logos would you recommend

This depends on a number of factors: your level of theological training, your personal interests, your preferred method of study, if you have ever used a Bible research program before, if you like to create your own Bible study materials vs use those written by others. Of course it also depends on your budget!

Without any question, buying a base package of some kind is the most cost effective way of building a research library. Which base packages are you considering?

My general rule of thumb is to get just a bit more than you think you need, because as you use the program you'll find it more helpful than you probably thought. But you can start smaller, if necessary, and grow into it, as you do get some credit for previous purchases when you upgrade from one base package to the next.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3
Wendy Horning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 9:52 AM

Thanks that is helpful. I am looking at logos 6 starter. Would it be cheaper to go with older version like 5? Looking for cost effective b/c not building sermons but maybe creating own studies and personal growth. Maybe older versions not avail?

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 10:01 AM

It's not possible to buy older versions. You can download the Logos 5 core engine for free, and there are a dozen or so resources available for free, so you could try it out, but the core engine doesn't have all the datasets that make most of the cool features work, so you won't be able to do too much with it.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 10:35 AM

Logos 6 Starter for your specific church tradition would be a good choice, yes. Also, given your ministry direction, the Chaplain's Library, funds permitting, would not only equip you, but it might inspire you to broader application of your ministry interests.

Posts 3
Wendy Horning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 10:59 AM

Yeah that might be an option because I would over to try it before I put in the money.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 11:01 AM

In addition to what has been said, look at the bundles at www.logos.com/bundles

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 11:09 AM

Wendy Horning:

Yeah that might be an option because I would over to try it before I put in the money.

Faithlife has a hassle free return policy for the first 30 days. If you buy something and then realize it is not what you're looking, it can be returned and money refunded with one phone call.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 11:11 AM

Kent:

In addition to what has been said, look at the bundles at www.logos.com/bundles

Good point. The Pastoral Care and Counseling Bundles, especially.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 12:59 PM

Wendy Horning:

Relying on the return policy Fred mentioned might be a better route to choose, because when you download just the free core engine (either the Logos 6 one which I'd recommend rather than Logos 5 if you do decide to go that route), you're really trying a basically crippled version of the software, so you might end up being disappointed with it for the wrong reasons.

On the other hand, if you do decide to just poke around with the free engine, here's a list of some free resources you can try it out with: https://wiki.logos.com/Free_Logos_Books 

Also, there are loads of user-created Personal Books (many from public domain texts) that you can download and build in Logos to add to your library:

https://wiki.logos.com/User_Contributed_Personal_Books

You can read here about how to create and build a PB from a .docx file provided in Logos PB format: https://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books

You might actually be able to build up quite a substantial library of Logos resources without paying a cent. But it will take a long time to download and build all the PBs you might be interested in. Buying a base package gives you a library of ready made resources, usually more recent and/or relevant and/or reference material that's useful. So you'll eventually probably want to do that. But at least you can learn a bit of how Logos works with the free stuff before you take the financial plunge.

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2015 2:18 PM

Wendy Horning:

Hi Wendy;

You probably should take my recommendation with a grain of salt, as I am not a Bible teacher (Yet), I am not an ordained minister (Yet), and I am not a theologian (Yet). The key word here is (Yet). With that said, I started with Logos 4 Bible Study (comparable to Logos 6 Starter, I think). This was to get me acclimated to the user interface and function of Logos. I very soon moved to the higher level base packages. The thinking was, not where I am today, but where I am headed tomorrow. I most likely could have save some dollars buy just beginning at the higher level base package, but I first needed be familiarized with company (Logos Bible Software at the time) and also the software. Knowing what I know today, being familiar with both company and software, I would at least start off with a Gold or above package, which will give me all of the datasets that I may find myself saying "I wish I had that at this moment", and also a good set of base resources (books, Bibles, etc.) that I will find a need for.

Keep in mind that the selection is based on where I am seeing myself tomorrow, not just today. And, of course, every step begins with prayer, and not quick on the moment purchase. Smile

Hope this helps.

Be blessed.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS