Chaplains Library Analysis and Feedback Sought

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 3 2015 10:55 AM

Has any pastor or assistant pastor purchased this package recently and been delighted with how useful it is for people who come into the office or for occasional counseling?

Would it round out a Baptist Silver 6.0 library well you think?  I am current an Mdiv student at Luther Rice Seminary (online) in GA working full time in a call center helping seniors on the phone as life/health insurance agent and layman volunteer at Baptist Church where I serve on the Outreach and Evangelism team.

I am curious if there are some other better, cheaper ways to go (though with my student discount I could get his far under $250).

Blessings and Thanks

(and of course God bless those who serve in our military, especially beleaguered chaplains who are sometimes silenced and persecuted).

Joshua in Rhode Island

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 11:07 AM

Personally I got version 5 of Chaplains Library for the Biblical Counseling Keys set by June Hunt. It covers a wide range of topics that could arise in counseling situations, and some of the material could even be useful for sermons of Bible classes. There were other resources I am sure I will use, but that was the main attraction for me.

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 11:21 AM

Thanks Matthew.  That would be the main draw for me and I know it can be bought alone too.   June Hunts radio show and podcast is really great too.

She is quite a servant of the Lord.

Wonder what others think?  Try to imagine advising a new assistant pastor who has been asked to do a little counseling for the very first time please if you can.

Posts 946
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 11:47 AM

I would say the June Hunt collection is worth what the stand alone costs.  Anything above that on it I am not impressed.  Previously working with the Chaplain Corps of the USN, there really wasn't anything in there that I would find as helpful to me to do that job as the Hunt collection.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 12:15 PM

I would say the June Hunt collection is worth what the stand alone costs.

Everett Headley:
I would say the June Hunt collection is worth what the stand alone costs.

I purchased the Chaplain's library primarily because there were a few items that interested me which were cheaper to acquire by purchasing the whole library than in buying the individual items I desired. I am a pastor of a small church and serve as a chaplain for an area nursing home. I frequently use the June Hunt collection and find it to be an excellent resource. There are several other resources in this package that have assisted me in my ministry with the elderly and their families.

I hold two services a week at the home (a Sunday service and a bible study service) but the majority of my ministry is visiting with the people (both in the home and in the hospital), counseling, and end of life situations. Many of the resources geared toward older adults have been a good help to me especially in interacting with some of the resident's family.

Blessings

Posts 3711
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 12:28 PM

Having completed three units of CPE (four is the usual minimum for being employed as a chaplain - there are exceptions), I also purchased the Chaplain's Library a while back. I appreciate its practical help as I work with a group of senior adults as a somewhat volunteer chaplain. If you are looking at serving as a pastor, I would think having this set available could not but help as you work with individuals on their personal as well as their spiritual issues.  

NOTE:  I do want to make a disclaimer, I am not Baptist, but Wesleyan; but when working with people that should be of minor consequence.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 1:55 PM

You gentleman have been superb with your replies and sharing.

Thank you very much.

Posts 3
LogosEmployee
Michael Pompeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 10:34 AM

Hi folks,

I have a great trick I've found that helps you extract the sections in your library that specifically have application-oriented content (anything that covers the best ways to act on a subject/principle). I own Chaplain's, and when studying a subject like "Forgiveness", for example, you often want to look at the Steps Of Forgiveness that different authors might provide in their books to see how you can walk someone through a grievance they have (or yourself for that matter!). Chaplain's is the best package for obtaining a large amount of that content, but what's the best way to find those particular sections of a book? Currently, Logos doesn't really do the heavy-lifting in that area, but I found a way that's pretty close! Let me know if you have any ways to tweek it.

HOW TO FIND APPLICATION-ORIENTED SECTIONS:

Either use an application-type collection that you already created or just use Logos’ filters (by opening Search, then click on “Everything” and type “counseling” in the Find Box and it should generate the number of books you have in your library that are tagged as counseling. Click on that number, and those books will become your search range.) For me, I just select the “Application” collection that I have created, then change the filter to “All Text”, and enter this command (For example, if you are studying forgiveness and want to specifically find things like the "steps of forgiveness" to recommend to people):

forgiveness AND ([field heading] “steps for”, ”steps to”, application, tips, ”activity”, activities, ”ways to”, "what to do", homework, ”practical ways”, ”practical steps”, ”practical exercises”, exercises, assignment, "thought and discussion", ”discussion questions”, "for discussion", "discussion topics", "discussion point", ”guidelines for”, ”guidelines of”, "for reflection", "reflection questions", "questions for", "study questions", "think about", "link to life", "to the secret place", "digging in", "community builder", "consider this", "action points", "ideas for", "today's experiment", "reshaped lives", "action steps", "group study")

If you are studying faith, then just replace the word “forgiveness” with “faith” in the string above.

Let me know how that goes!!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 5:49 PM

Michael Pompeo:
forgiveness AND ([field heading] “steps for”, ”steps to”, application, tips, ”activity”, activities, ”ways to”, "what to do", homework, ”practical ways”, ”practical steps”, ”practical exercises”, exercises, assignment, "thought and discussion", ”discussion questions”, "for discussion", "discussion topics", "discussion point", ”guidelines for”, ”guidelines of”, "for reflection", "reflection questions", "questions for", "study questions", "think about", "link to life", "to the secret place", "digging in", "community builder", "consider this", "action points", "ideas for", "today's experiment", "reshaped lives", "action steps", "group study")

Sorting results by Ranked has topical word close to Heading text.

Noticed 10th page of ranked results had Application found on page 136 AND forgiveness on page 140 in a journal:

Alternate application search idea is topical word AFTER ## WORDS of Heading and Large text.

([field heading,largetext,surface] forgive) AFTER 88 WORDS ([field heading,largetext] action,activity,application,assignment,community,consider,contemporary,devotion,digging,discussion,exercise,experiment,guideline,homework,ideas,practical,questions,reflection,reshaped,"secret place",steps,study,think,tip,"to life","to live",”ways to”,"what to")

FYI: expanded alternate application search with more words = Thanks Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3883
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:32 AM

JoshInRI:

Has any pastor or assistant pastor purchased this package recently and been delighted with how useful it is for people who come into the office or for occasional counseling?

Would it round out a Baptist Silver 6.0 library well you think?  I am current an Mdiv student at Luther Rice Seminary (online) in GA working full time in a call center helping seniors on the phone as life/health insurance agent and layman volunteer at Baptist Church where I serve on the Outreach and Evangelism team.

I am curious if there are some other better, cheaper ways to go (though with my student discount I could get his far under $250).

Blessings and Thanks

(and of course God bless those who serve in our military, especially beleaguered chaplains who are sometimes silenced and persecuted).

Joshua in Rhode Island

I always comb through the books to see which ones really interest me, then add up the cost of those and compare it to the cost of the package.  (keeping in mind I could get a slight discount on some of the sets/volumes if purchased separately).  I found there were several pastoral care and discipleship books that are quality.  Some are very basic (Hunt), some focus on angles of chaplaincy (Holst is excellent to get oriented and conceptualize), others help with creativity (ones on prayer, etc).  Some are thought-provoking and in depth (Renovation of the Heart).  It comes down not only to where you are at, now, but where you want to grow in your ministry and what resources you want to have at hand.  And what your pocket book and wife (if applicable) say. Smile

I personally would like to see Logos offer chaplain discipline-specific collections of resources: military vs. hospital/hospice vs. prison . . . there are many more quality works that are just not included that chaplains need (such as more grief authors--Wolfelt, Worden, or in depth books on topics like shame, fields such as behavioral dynamics, etc)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 7543
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:47 AM

I got Chaplain during L5 but when I saw L6 it didn't really add that much, so I passed. My standar BP and the other denominational BPs I added are good enough for me.

DAL

Ps. Chaplain BP alone is not good enough for full time ministry.

Posts 3883
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 4:52 PM

DAL:
Chaplain BP alone is not good enough for full time ministry.

where do you find it lacking--and what are you thinking of when you say "full time ministry?"  Just curious.  I actually thought it was a pretty good set, although by the time I got it, I have added Portfolio (standard) and Verbum Scholar.  But, still, quite strong on practical ministry resources, which some people really need for full-time ministry

Posts 7543
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 5:17 PM

Friedrich:

DAL:

where do you find it lacking--and what are you thinking of when you say "full time ministry?"  Just curious.  I actually thought it was a pretty good set, although by the time I got it, I have added Portfolio (standard) and Verbum Scholar.  But, still, quite strong on practical ministry resources, which some people really need for full-time ministry

Lack of "technical" commentaries and other useful resources for exegesis. For practical stuff and counseling is ok but as far as indepth exegetical work that goes into preparing expository sermons it won't get you that far. If someone wants to boost it they'd have to do what you did, add a standard Gold or above Base Package. Just my take on it :)

DAL

Posts 3883
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:30 PM

DAL:

Friedrich:

DAL:

Lack of "technical" commentaries and other useful resources for exegesis. For practical stuff and counseling is ok but as far as indepth exegetical work that goes into preparing expository sermons it won't get you that far. If someone wants to boost it they'd have to do what you did, add a standard Gold or above Base Package. Just my take on it :)

DAL

I see where you're coming from.  I'm a pretty big believer of good exegesis and a broad range of good tools, as well.  I guess it comes down to a person's need.  Chaplain's is a good set for a decent amount of pastoral, preaching and discipleship oriented works.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS