Surface Pro3 question

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Morrison Fisher | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 3 2015 2:09 PM

I'm going to move to a SurfacePro3, 512 i7 with 8gb. Has anyone had any problems or glitches running their Logos with this. It will be used for Logos, Word processing, mail & a few other assorted items but no memory devouring things like lots of video's & downloads. 

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 2:42 PM

Several people using the Surface pro have reported good results. I would think the configuration you describe would be fine.

Posts 110
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 5:06 PM

Mine just got here yesterday. I'm loving it, excellent little machine. FWIW I picked up the 256GB i7 and have found it to be sufficient for my needs, and my library is fairly sizable.

I only wish I had gotten one sooner :)

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 6:13 AM

Welcome to the forums Morrison.  Just in case you want to browse some additional comments, here is a link with some other forum threads: 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105121/726906.aspx#726906

Here is an article that compares cost vs. configuration in an attempt to zero in on the best value:

http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-pro-3-i5-vs-i7/

Posts 161
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 6:47 AM

I've been using Logos with an i5/256gb/8gb ram Surface Pro 3 since February and it runs beautifully.  I have 2 other laptops that have Core i7 CPUs and 8gb and 16gb of ram respectively.  I also have a desktop with an overclocked i5 with 24gb of ram.  All my computers have SSD's.  I have noticed 0 performance differences between these setups.  That is to say, the Surface Pro 3 delivers an excellent experience.

In my opinion extra CPU power makes less of a difference.  It's the SSD's that make the program snappier.  Start up time are within 1 or 2 seconds of each other.  

So unless you really need the extra 512gb SSD in the i7 version, I'd save some money and get the i5/256gb configuration.  I think that one is the best bang for the buck.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 8:42 AM

I hope God blesses me with an enough money to upgrade and someone willing to purchase my Original Surface Pro (I5).

Blessings,

Joshua

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 4:46 PM

I also just moved to a Surface Pro 3, 512 GB, i7, with 8 GB ram.  I had used a Surface Pro 2 for about 2 years, and loved it.  But I only had a 250 GB HD on the Surface Pro 2.  In the past I could not see how I could afford the upgrade of processor, SSD drive size, and the bigger screen, as this machine cost $2,000.  That was more than I could spend.

But with the Surface Pro 4 about to come out, the prices on the Surface Pro 3 have dropped significantly.  The Surface Pro 3 has had great reviews.  This was my chance to get the large HD and processor upgrade at a great price.  I actually sold some books that I do not use in order to cover the cost of the computer upgrade.  I did not want to miss this opportunity with the price drop on the Surface Pro 3.

All I can say is that this machine is marvelous.  Happy as I was with the Surface Pro 2, this is amazingly better.  Just the better touchpad is worth the upgrade!  It runs Logos 6 like you would expect and i7 processor should - fast.  The 512 GB SSD is great!  The larger screen makes far more difference than I expected.  I have room for everything!

No regrets.  Of course, I wish those who are holding out for the Surface Pro 4 well.  I am certain it will be a great machine.   But it will cost much more for the same computer specs than a Surface Pro 3 right now, if you shop around.  I believe you can get far more computer with a Surface Pro 3  now, if your budget is an issue, than next month with a new Surface Pro 4.   And Windows 10 is a free upgrade.

Surface Pro is a magnificent way to run Logos 6. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS