"Find" doesn't look in footnotes?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:18 AM

I came to a footnote which was not the first reference to a particular work.  I tried to use "Find" to find the first reference to that author, so that I could get publication data.  "Find" didn't find it.  However, when I highlighted the author name in the footnote where I found it, I got the results I needed from a basic search.

Does "Find" not look in footnotes by design?  Or is this perhaps a defect in the resource I am using?  (Brueggemann's "Theology of the Old Testament", a Fortress publication).

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:26 AM

Mary-Ellen Vian:
Does "Find" not look in footnotes by design?  Or is this perhaps a defect in the resource I am using?  (Brueggemann's "Theology of the Old Testament", a Fortress publication).

Mary-Ellen

The same thing happens to me in Berkouwer's Faith and Justification. The following image shows that the search found four hits. However, when I used Find, I only found two. I checked in the Information pane and Berkouwer is indexed to search on the Footnote field. The only thing I can think of is that Find looks through the text that is actually in the window you are searching.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:41 AM

I think there needs to be more options in how to view footnotes in a resource.

The popup windows are okay for some things but you should also be able to view them inline as they appear in the original text.

In that view Find should find all occurrences of a word in the notes.

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 8:21 AM

Gary O'Neal:
The only thing I can think of is that Find looks through the text that is actually in the window you are searching.

This does sound like what is happening.  That's an important distinction to know about, I think.

Unlike Russ Q., I'm happy enough with footnotes in the Power Lookup window, especially now that in the current Beta they are not truncated.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 9:00 AM

Russ Quinn:
The popup windows are okay for some things but you should also be able to view them inline as they appear in the original text.

Have you tried Power Lookup? In the power lookup panel, it display all footnotes. You can also get power lookup to quickly identify where in your Bible the footnote occurs.

see What is the Power Lookup tool?  and  Tip – locating reference in resource

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 9:33 AM

Power Lookup is ok for just reading the footnotes but there are several limitations.

1. Most importantly, it doesn't solve the original problem of this thread which is there is no way to use Find to quickly search the footnotes within a resource. If there were an option to view the notes inline, they would be part of the text that is available for searching using the Find tool.
  2. You cannot interact with the text in the Power Lookup tool. You can copy the whole note but you cannot highlight or make notes in a footnote. This is a real limitation. I interact with footnotes as much as I do with the main copy when I annotate a book.
  3. Because the Power Lookup tool displays all references linked by a resource, it is sometimes hard to find the note quickly. It takes a good bit of eye movement to keep up with the notes in the tool as you scroll a resource. A static display of the notes within a resource (like a page in a real book) would reduce eye fatigue and enhance reading speed when you are working through a heavily noted resource. The ability to change settings in the Information tool (just released in 4.0b beta 6) make it a little better than the Power Lookup tool in this regard but even with that, it can be tricky to get the tool to display the note as you are reading. I do hope the Power Lookup tool gets similar settings options in a future release but it still would not be as helpful as having an option to view the notes inline with the text itself.

For those who like the current functionality, please note that I am not suggesting changing the default behavior from the way it currently works.
I am suggesting adding more options for viewing.

If my suggestion were implemented, I would still use Power Lookup to quickly view references to other texts.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:02 AM

Russ,

I see, can't argue with your reasoning & uses. my usage is not near as involved as yours.

For searching in footnotes you might use Search as described below

1. you can search footnotes specifically (see Search Fields)

2. you can search a specific book as well (usually i see letters Logos uses to identify a book, like GDBV1:GFGS). you can enter this for the location to search (L4 expanded it after i entered it to the full title of the book)

It found the only occurrence of this word in a specific footnote.

perhaps this can address the original topic here in finding a specific word in footnotes.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:06 AM

steve clark:
perhaps this can address the original topic here in finding a specific word in footnotes.

Steve

The original problem wasn't being able to search the footnotes--both the OP and my example did that. It was being able to use CTRL-F for a quick find.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:09 AM

i offer my humble apologies.

so i will not disturb this post further.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:10 AM

Steve,

Basic search is the way to go to find all references to anything in a resource. In my opinion, this works great.

I find the Find tool to be more useful as a navigation tool within a resource but it is limited by not finding occurrences within footnotes.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:14 AM

steve clark:
i offer my humble apologies.

No apology needed. I wasn't sure we were talking about the same thing. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS