AAnyone using handouts?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 30 2010 11:34 AM

I am starting a new SS class and have elected not to use published quarterlies, but I do want to give the students (adults) something to take away from the class. For those of you using the handouts, I would appreciate it if you could share how you are using them and if you feel they are effective.

Posts 26588
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 2:48 PM

Anybody?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:13 PM

I do - but it's fairly basic in the layout functionality it offers and it seems to suggest fairly random things to include in the handout. Generally, I include the passage that we're looking at (obviously), some of the more stronger cross references and maybe 1 or 2 commentary excerpts particularly if there is one with some strong suggestions for application. I will then create my own custom section where I put in the discussion and challenge questions. If there is a suitable graphic I will include that but there's currently no way to resize it so sometimes that doesn't work so well with the layout. One thing I have discovered is if I DO NOT include a word search I get complaints :)

To be honest, I've been giving it a go simply because it would speed up that part of my lesson prep but because of its limitations I will probably go back to cutting and pasting into a template until it gets further development.

I would be interested to hear how others maybe using this part of the software - any tips would be appreciated.

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:31 PM

You were asking about whether or not the handouts were effective? Like most things the benefit gained by individual from a resource is determined somewhat by their own initiative. One thing I've noticed is that having some commentary excerpts has helped prompt comment from people who tend to normally be on the quieter side - it also gives early arrivals something to do while we wait to start if they're not inclined to be social. This also means that even those individuals who have not even refered to the passage prior to arrival (even though everyone generally knows what's  up next) can be bring themselves up to speed at least partially - of course, its the ones who do things outside of the actual session that benefit the most. Having the cross references saves time because people aren't hunting for them - we can just keep our Bible's open at the main passage.

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:57 PM

Jeremy,  thanks for your contribution.  I have tried them once or twice, but found it maddening: the formatting/resizing not being user friendly, etc.  I still like the idea.  I did not know you could add your own material. I have tried, and it never accepted it.  But I was trying to add in windows (notes sections) that were connected to another resource.  I will have to take another look and see how to do it.

On word search, I think those are fun, but due to work with youth curriculum, I hate them, lol.  Back in the day that is something youth curriculum always had.  but it has about zero transformational power.  Since then, I just hate  seeing them.  Okay, hate is too strong.  Loathe.  Smirk.  Snicker.  (jk)

Dan

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:17 PM

I do a SS class for 5th and 6th graders and do one each week. I fiddle with it a little but I think the kids like to see a couple topical images or maps. It gives them something to carry home and maybe do the crossword later in the day. I would like to see the feature become more flexible with easier user added content and formatting.

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:32 PM

Dan DeVilder:
I did not know you could add your own material

THere is a "Add Blank Item" option

One thing I do too - is leave the title field blank and either just use the tiel in the actual excerpt or create my own - this seems to tightened up the layout better.

On the word search - yeah, I don't think anyones going to argue in support of its transformative power - but I included one the first couple of times - just because I could (the situation I'm preparing the hadnout for is an adult group) and then the first week I didn't put it in (I think because space was an issue) I got some comments - so in the interest of "being all things to all people", including the compulsive doodlers in the group if I do have space I generally include one - it helps that Logos makes it easy to do that.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not the prayer lists fucntion being reintroduced in the current beta will allow publishing to the handout - that would be a nice touch.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 6:49 AM

Terry Poperszky:

I am starting a new SS class and have elected not to use published quarterlies, but I do want to give the students (adults) something to take away from the class. For those of you using the handouts, I would appreciate it if you could share how you are using them and if you feel they are effective.

I use them on occasion for my Sunday School or youthgroup.  I do not use them with regularity because it is, as has been noted a maddenly frustrating experience. 

I do not have the fastest machine on the market, so perhaps my performance issues dissapear with an i7 processor, but I will categorically say that handouts are THE slowest part of the entire L4 experience for me.

I have a rather full rant on handouts linked in my sig.  Some of it has actually been addressed (printing).  Other items have not (autogeneration etc.)

When I use them, I will generally include the bible text, a puzzle, and then a blank section filled with several questions for review.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Anonymous | | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 9:40 PM

I tried to figure out what they were good for when I first got Logos 4, but all they would do is cause Logos 4 to be shutdown. I know some bugs have been subsequently fixed, but haven't had time to play with them more.

Most website hosts provide software to backup your site. Check with your host to find out what services and programs they provide.
Blog: How to backup wordpress site

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:19 AM

Thanks for all the responses, while I am trying to use them this is not the easiest or most intuitive feature of L4.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS