Using Logos with Parallels on a MacPro, after initially working now does not open

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:56 AM

I just bought a latest model MacPro (one week ago) with a 500 G hard drive. I have Parallels added so that I can use Logos in PC mode. I installed Logos for PC last week and it was working fine until yesterday, when it suddenly froze and gave me a message of needing to close. Afterwards it does not open at all and again gives me an the message that an error was found and needs to close.

Coincidentally I notice that the virtual PC desktop icons (not the mac icons) have partially acquired a pink color and that the images in the web pages (both virtual PC and mac modes) do not load the colors correctly and have subtle vertical stripes.  Perhaps this color issue is related or not, but I'm no computer expert. 

The programs on the mac side work as usual. Any suggestions or help? I have read other user comments in the blog but do not yet find something that can help.

Thanks, Jose.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:09 AM

Jose Santiago:
Any suggestions or help? I

Enable L4Win logging and upload the logs to this thread.

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Posts 50
Jeffrey S Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:55 AM

One thing I did is turn off "Enable 3D Acceleration" in Parallels (on the Virtual Machine/Configure page).  I also gave it the max graphics memory (only 256M).  Logos 4 runs better for me under Parallels than anywhere else (although I admin I have a new iMac/Core I7/820 with 2GB and 2 Cores dedicated to Parallels, much better than any PC I own as yet).

Posts 1
Jim Leasure | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:19 AM

I have a MacBook running Parallels 4, and I am experiencing the same problem.  I see the two responses below, but must admit that I am not a techi type, and don't understand how to solve my problem.  Currently sitting on hold with Tech Support.

Thanks, Jim

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 2:45 AM

I'm running L4 on my MB under Parallels without any problems. My Video hardware settings are:

Video Memory: 256MB

Enable 3D acceleration: Unchecked

Enable Vertical Sync: Checked

I'm happy to give other settings if you want. Let me know.

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:48 AM

I have a few ideas:

1. Have you run out of disk space in your VM? These expand as you use them and need to be compressed. You may not have enough disk space anymore to run the program.

2. Has there been any Parallel updates that have been installed automatically?

To compress a VM in Parallels 5 go to Virtual Machine/Configure/Hard Drive.

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:24 AM

I tried this and did not solve the problem. Thanks.

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:30 AM

I did check for parallel updates after the problem with Logos started to see if this would solve the problem. I downloaded and installed the update yesterday, but the problem stayed the same.

My Mac computer is new with 500 Gigs of disc space and 256MG allocated to video memory so I'm assuming this shuld be OK.

I have not checked the "VM compression" advise so I'll try later at home and see if that helps. Thanks. 

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:32 AM

I tried these settngs already and the problem persists. Thanks.

I'll welcome any further suggestions. Have a blessed day.

Jose.

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:26 AM

Because you were telling that the problem occurs also in web pages on your Mac side I do think this is a hardware problem of your Mac and not a problem of the virtual machine. Have you tried to play some movies or a DVD on your Mac? When you see stripes and strange colours then it has something to with the Mac video card. 

Luuk

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:52 PM

Have you tried creating a new VM and seeing if the colour problem persists in the new one? You should be able to see if the colour problem persists without having to d/l Logos all over. If clear, then yes, you might have tostart over but at least it'll be clean.

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:46 AM

Luuk you were indeed right. After trying all the suggestions offered I took the Mac to be checked at an Apple store and the video card was found to be defective. It is being replaced under warranty. As soon as I get the Mac back and retry Parallels and Logos I will post an update.

Posts 6
Jose Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 12:11 PM

The issue with my computer was indeed a deffective video memory card. After it was replaced Logos software and Paralells run OK. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Posts 118
Andrew Chuter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 12:42 PM

I've tried to uncheck the 'Enable 3D acceleration' for better performance as suggested above without success - it will not accept any change ( 'lock' is not on). Any suggestions as to how I can solve this?

Andrew

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS