If you ignore Android, you ignore the future.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3679
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 2:14 PM

Roger Peters:
ignore the future

Works for me. Big Smile

(with apologies, Roger, for your legitimate concern... just couldn't resist.)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1038
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 2:19 PM

Todd Phillips:

TomReynolds:
Back in I think 1991 I bought my first PC and was making the choice between an Apple IIe and an IBM PS/2 Model 30.

Heh...perhaps you meant 1987.  I had a Mac by 1991.

It could have been a little earlier but not 1987. I see that Apple didn't discontinue the IIe until Nov 1993 so it could have been that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_iie.but looking at the pictures it was more likely a IIgs which lasted until Dec 1992. The first computer I ever used was an Apple IIc in typing class. Very exciting times, those were!

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 2:58 PM

TomReynolds:
I hope that Android dies a quick and cruel death for being totally incompatible with itself nevermind other software.

Seriously? This is nothing but a pejorative statement spoken out of ignorance, and it doesn't advance the argument. "Totally incompatible with itself" doesn't even make sense. If you're talking about the fragmentation issue, that's already been addressed. It's a non issue. It would be like criticizing Windows simply for the fact that some people use XP, others Vist, and still others Windows 7. It doesn't have anything to do with the merits of the operating system itself. It's a worthless argument.

TomReynolds:
The smartphone market is worse than video game consoles. At least all the most popular games are available for every console.

Not true. Most of the really popular games are exclusive to one console. Case in point: Halo. Nevertheless, this is unrelated.

Posts 1038
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 3:22 PM

Yes, it is a pejorative statement born of frustration that Google would introduce another incompatible OS to the smartphone market in an attempt to gain captive market share (e.g. Android currently only supports Google calendar). My apologies for any inordinate offense. :)

By incompatible with itself I am referring to the incompatibilities between versions of Android. See this article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Greenfield/?p=481.There are also serious issues concerning the cell phone providers demanding that a customer run certain versions of Android and not others. e.g. in Canada Rogers is running v1.5 and doesn't want to bear the cost of updating/testing the software. There was a security issues that forced them to send out an update which bricked many phones. Unfortunately, unlike computers, cell phone owners have to put up with their carriers installing unwanted software on their units. This effects performance and usability and means that you cannot update it to a current version without voiding your warranty. Imagine if no one could remove the "bloatware" from their computers or upgrade their OS without voiding their warranty.

For more info on Android issues read the summary statements here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29#Restrictions_and_issues

Open source is cool but let's make it more compatible, not less.

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:17 PM

Roger Peters:
Not true. Most of the really popular games are exclusive to one console. Case in point: Halo. Nevertheless, this is unrelated.

Yeah, at least one is limited to one console...

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:50 PM

TomReynolds:
in Canada Rogers is running v1.5 and doesn't want to bear the cost of updating/testing the software.

Rogers in Canada is currently offering all their G1 users a free upgrade to an HTC Magic which runs Android 1.6.

The only compatibility issues between versions I know of are restricted to three apps i know of, all by Google: Google Maps Navigation, Google Goggles search and the latest version of Android Scripting Environment. This is just like a new program for Windows not working for older versions. This isn't a new problem. It's a Red Herring.

TomReynolds:
This effects performance and usability and means that you cannot update it to a current version without voiding your warranty.

Also false. Whereas jailbreaking an iPhone does void your warranty, rooting an Android is perfectly fine due to the fact that the operating system is open sourced. This overcomes many of the problems cited in the wikipedia article. Other issues are solved by Apps like the Bluetooth File Transfer app. The reason root access isn't enabled by default in Android is that it's possible to damage the operating system if you don't know what you're doing. It's just like the first time you click to open your C:\ drive in Windows and all the system files are hidden. They just want you to know you should be careful.

Posts 1038
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:06 PM

I would suggest you check out the discussion on Slashdot http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/26/2358237/Canadian-Android-Carrier-Forcing-Firmware-Updateand this owners experience: http://www.litui.net/archives/796.Rogers does not want users running anything but version 1.5 and does not want users to have root access. They've also run out of Magics to offer as upgrades.

The whole situation is a mess and I have no desire to ever buy another phone under contract or buy an Android phone. I will probably buy an unlocked HTC of some kind running Windows 6.5 or maybe even 7.0 if M$ gets it released this year. Thanks for the discussion Roger, I hope it wasn't too off topic for Logos.

Blessings and Peace.

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:15 PM

TomReynolds:
Rogers does not want users running anything but version 1.5 and does not want users to have root access.

Yeah, Ok. I knew they were offering the HTC Magic as an upgrade. I assumed it was running 1.6 like they do in the US. I also didn't know they weren't allowing Root. That's really shady.

Nevertheless, this is a problem with one Canadian wireless carrier. It is not a problem with Android, and doesn't change anything about why Logos should develop for Android.

So yeah, it's off topic, but only a little, I guess.

Posts 3
Josh "Hawaii" Nelson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:54 PM

I want to voice my support for the Android platform.  While it has been a fragmented and weak platform in the past, it has really been growing in the last few months especially.  All Android phones should be able to run 2.1 by the middle of this year, 2010.  I appreciate the way the OP wrote, and he did a good job of providing lots of information on Android and why Logos should develop for it.  

Developing for Android might not make lots of money for Logos, but it is good for the users.  The iPhone app is free, how much money is made from that?  As the maker of a Bible program, the users  and accessbility should be someplace on the list of importance.  Also, I think there will be some people who upgrade to Logos 4 for Android access (though of course at this point it's nowhere near the amount of iPhone users).  I would upgrade for it Wink 

It's unfortunate that none of the developers have an Android phone to develop on, as that would maybe make it easier to get done.  I just hate the fact that to get mobile Logos in the best possible form, I have to spend a minimum of $70 a month for iPhone service on AT&T, when my Android phone allows me to spend only $35 with my family.  [I almost did buy an iPhone (plus service of course) with Logos mobile being one of the apps I really, really wanted (actually the main one fyi), but decided it wasn't wise].  I hope that someday soon Logos decides to make an Android version to allow those with phones of this growing platform to take advantage of the awesome developments in Bible software.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:25 AM

JoshuaNelson:

It's unfortunate that none of the developers have an Android phone to develop on, as that would maybe make it easier to get done.  I just hate the fact that to get mobile Logos in the best possible form, I have to spend a minimum of $70 a month for iPhone service on AT&T, when my Android phone allows me to spend only $35 with my family.  [I almost did buy an iPhone (plus service of course) with Logos mobile being one of the apps I really, really wanted (actually the main one fyi), but decided it wasn't wise].  I hope that someday soon Logos decides to make an Android version to allow those with phones of this growing platform to take advantage of the awesome developments in Bible software.

Regarding the monthly data cost, unless you *have* to have constant access to all the features of Logos everywhere you go (perhaps what you mean by "best possible form"), you could get an iPod Touch (rather than an iPhone) and set key resources for offline use, all without a monthly $70 fee. I've got 8-10 resources downloaded for offline use with less than 10% of the memory used (8GB iPod Touch I got from Craigslist for around $100). I realize it varies from person to person, but for me, I'm around wifi 90% of the time, and the rest of the time I'm usually driving or with people, so I wouldn't be using Logos anyway.  I was previously hoping for a Windows Mobile app, and also considered switching to an Android phone or tablet, but the monthly costs were prohibitive for an Android phone ("everything data plan" for $70+/line), plus the drawbacks of library.logos.com compared to the iPhone/iPod app (such as no offline access, formatting of pages, etc) made me decide against it.

Like you said, if Google can standardize Android devices on 2.1, I think you'll have a better chance of Logos deciding to develop an app.  But you still face the problem of different screen resolutions and other hardware variations between devices, as my friend with an Android phone has encountered while playing around with various apps.

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:45 AM

I know that this is a selfish desire, but as we can see that Logos is now going in four different directions with PC, Mac, Web, and iPhone. Adding a fifth will splinter their resources that are already spread thin. So I hope they stand pat for a while and get the PC version going with all the missing features implemented in a stable app. For my Mac friends I hope they get it into an official release form. It's not even beta. And I hope they get the web and iphone versions up to par with all the features we already see on other apps. And I hope they do all of this before going in a new direction with Android, Windows Phone 7 or Linux.

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 2:52 PM

I think that Logos needs to be careful about how many platforms they are going to support.  It makes sense that they chose iPhone first (even though it wasn't my smartphone!).  I want Logos to be around 10 years from now.

That being said, I think it is time for them to pick their next mobile platform... (since an iPad is just an enlarge iPhone (er, Touch), I am not counting that as a separate platform, though it is cool).  Which mobile platform makes the most sense to expand to? 

If you look at SmartPhone sales over the past 5 months, you will see that the Android/Google phones are out-selling the iPhone consistently.  Now, don't get excited... we all know the installed base of iPhone users is much, much larger.  But the writing is on the wall (and the Mobile Mags are all abuzz!). 

What about Blackberry?  What about Window's Mobile?  What about PalmOS? What about WebOS (Palm Pre/Pixi)? 

Windows Mobile is probably still has a larger base of users, the problem is that many Window's mobile users are switching as soon as their contracts are up.  But, with the new Windows Mobile release, maybe that changes.  Blackberry is interesting because so many PASTORS use Blackberry.  These users can make the case that Logos should consider Blackberry's excellent OS for the business savvy and Pastoral users.  PalmOS is a dying breed, IMO. WebOS is a wonderful OS (mine) but the BEST user numbers I have seen are at 5%. 

See the problem that Logos will have in picking the next platform?  My best guess is that Android 2.1 is going to continue to explode those sales and that the industry is crowning a new prince.  But, someone might have numbers to indicate WM or Blackberry the better choice.  Yes?

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 9:33 PM

JJ Miller:
If you look at SmartPhone sales over the past 5 months, you will see that the Android/Google phones are out-selling the iPhone consistently.  Now, don't get excited... we all know the installed base of iPhone users is much, much larger.  But the writing is on the wall (and the Mobile Mags are all abuzz!). 

To be fair, you are correct in saying they are outselling. But it is by only about 7.5 percent and that during a time that there have been a slew of brand new android devices and the same ole iPhone. Wait till iPhone OS 4 is released, probably this June. I suspect there will again be a new leader that is the old leader.

As for writing on the wall, what does it say? If in July there is nothing really  new from Apple, I might agree with you that Android is the up and comer. But until them it is not something I would be my farm (i.e. the future of my business if I were the owner of Logos) on.

Posts 7
Joel W Parke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 9:32 AM

It is nice to see Android grow - now market share is higher than iPhone and growing.

See: http://techland.com/2010/05/10/android-rockets-past-iphone-to-snag-28-market-share/

Posts 18856
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:38 PM

JoelWParke:

It is nice to see Android grow - now market share is higher than iPhone and growing.

See: http://techland.com/2010/05/10/android-rockets-past-iphone-to-snag-28-market-share/

I've been wanting one. Will wait until there is a Logos app available for it.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:02 AM

Rosie Perera:
Will wait until there is a Logos app available for it.
Yup, I'm due for a new phone.  It will either be the BB9800 (touch screen) or an Android - depending on who gets the Logos App.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:23 AM

Ever heard of Quality control? With control comes quality! or at least that is the goal and with Apple it has worked fairly well. With Android's open developer policy let's wait and see how long it is before we  begin to hear tales of chaos and disappointment from a product that is being inundated with bogus apps and junk code or malware. You'll wish there was more control then to protect you and your device.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:41 AM

Dennis Miller:

Ever heard of Quality control? With control comes quality! or at least that is the goal and with Apple it has worked fairly well. With Android's open developer policy let's wait and see how long it is before we  begin to hear tales of chaos and disappointment from a product that is being inundated with bogus apps and junk code or malware. You'll wish there was more control then to protect you and your device.

Ever heard of Linux?  Outrageous quality without controls.  Ubuntu, Red Hat, LFS the list goes on and on.  Open source does not mean chaotic or low quality.  The community provides the guidance required by using what works, and fixing what doesn't.  As for bogus apps and junk code, have you browsed all the apps in the iphone store.  Lots to be desired there too. 

(all said with an air of joviality).

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:24 AM

Thomas, Yes I am familiar with Linux and the last iteration I saw from a co-worker looked very good and user friendly. The problem is that without 3rd party development support an OS cannot stand alone and expect to be successful. (Remember the Amiga, superior hardware/OS, no developers or major application support). And Yes, I agree about the abundance of junk apps on iTunes  also but I've also found some very good ones. OnSong is a fantastic app for musicians and worship leaders/performers.

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:00 AM

Dennis, you're missing the point entirely. This thread was never started in order to discuss the merits of Android vs. iPhone (although even I fell into that trap for a few posts as you can read). The simple fact is that Android is growing, and the future I spoke of in the first posts is swiftly approaching. Canalys recently stated: "Android devices collectively represented a 34% share of the US market in the [2nd] quarter, and with growth of 851% Android became the largest smart phone platform in the country."

The point is not that we should all be arguing about which platform is better. The point is that an increasing number of Logos users are going to be using Android, and that it's very likely those users will eventually outnumber the iPhone users. Therefore, it would be a really good idea for Logos to develop for Android.

You make arguments about junk code but that's just a red herring. As Thomas points out, even the iTunes App Market has some terrible apps with junk code. But that does not take away from the quality of the good apps, does it? There are lots of great iPhone apps (Logos has one), despite the presence of junk code. It's up to developers to make good apps. The Android platform does not stop good developers from making good apps, and we have already seen that Logos makes good apps. So pointing out that there is some junk code in the Android market is a useless argument. If Logos made an app it would be a good one. I just want them to be proactive and do it now rather than waiting for the growing number of requests from their users.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS