NT for English Readers: Please allow download

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3004
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:36 PM

Currently the community pricing New Testament for English Readers (which just dropped to $12 (http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/2141) is marked as CD ROM only. Is there no way that this could have a download option added. Especially on a $12 resource, shipping adds a very substantial percentage of the total cost of the product. 

Most, if not all, would prefer download and would save some money with this option. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:41 PM

Yes

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:46 PM

+1 Yes

Yes, I don't see any reason not to do download versions for the community pricing products, which are all public domain.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:23 PM

Jacob Hantla:
Most, if not all, would prefer download

Yes, Download please.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:30 PM

Jack Caviness:

Jacob Hantla:
Most, if not all, would prefer download

Yes, Download please.

CD-ROM is an obsolete technology! Please do not use it by default.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:31 PM

Todd Phillips:
Wow.  Just wow.  I guess in many ways it is obsolete, but this is the first time I've considered it.  It's still ubiquitous - but so were 1.25 floppy drives until the last few years.  But it doesn't hold enough data.  So yeah, CD's are [becoming] obsolete.  And oddly enough, not by a superior storage technology (DVD) but by a completely different media - the Internet.  Ok, wow.  Back on topic now.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:51 PM

Thomas Black:

Todd Phillips:
Wow.  Just wow.  I guess in many ways it is obsolete, but this is the first time I've considered it.  It's still ubiquitous - but so were 1.25 floppy drives until the last few years.  But it doesn't hold enough data.  So yeah, CD's are [becoming] obsolete.  And oddly enough, not by a superior storage technology (DVD) but by a completely different media - the Internet.  Ok, wow.  Back on topic now.

It's still useful for software delivery to non-connected computers.  But we know that Logos 4 requires a connection, plus anyone voting on Community Pricing is connected. And for most network-connected computers, downloading 650MB (the size of a CD) or less is no problem at all.  It's too small for backup (unless you want to fill a drawer with them).  All I'm saying is make it an option, not the default.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:27 AM

Also the functionality for delivering these products to us via download is already there (once we have the license for it, if we delete the file, it will download for us). So why should we need to use a CD at all -- we only use it once, to install the first time. The fewer plastic coasters that have to be produced and packaged and shipped, the better our collective stewardship of Creation will be. Also, we wouldn't have to pay for the postage, nor wait for the mail to arrive. Logos wouldn't have to stock inventory, nor do the shipping. I see download as a win-win situation all around. I would like to see all Logos products available in download format!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:00 AM

Rosie Perera:
I would like to see all Logos products available in download format!
Absolutely!  On the other hand I am concerned for my fellow Logosians around the globe with little or no (or capped) internet access.  For them, a ship option needs to be available - but as an option, not the default.  Make Download the default always.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:02 AM

I would also prefer download.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 124
Randy Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:11 AM

Yes

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:19 AM

Jacob Hantla:

Currently the community pricing New Testament for English Readers (which just dropped to $12 (http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/2141) is marked as CD ROM only. Is there no way that this could have a download option added. Especially on a $12 resource, shipping adds a very substantial percentage of the total cost of the product. 

Most, if not all, would prefer download and would save some money with this option. 

Please also add a download option to Community Pricing resources that are now in Pre-Pub (e.g., Commentary on the Psalms by E. W. Hengstenberg ).  I shouldn't have to install v3 to install the book to Logos 4, and the CD will just go straight to the landfill, once I do.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:23 AM

yes...DOWNLOAD OPTIONS FOR EVERYTHING! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 10:45 AM

Jacob Hantla:
Is there no way that this could have a download option added
Jacob Hantla:
shipping adds a very substantial percentage of the total cost of the product. 
Jacob Hantla:

YesYesYesIdeaCool

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 3:59 PM

Thomas Black:

Rosie Perera:
I would like to see all Logos products available in download format!
Absolutely!  On the other hand I am concerned for my fellow Logosians around the globe with little or no (or capped) internet access.  For them, a ship option needs to be available - but as an option, not the default.  Make Download the default always.

Oh yes, of course. By saying I wanted everything to be downloadable, I didn't mean that should be the only option. Whether it's the default or not isn't crucial to me as long as I can choose it (though it probably should be the default, as I suspect the vast majority of users will prefer that; the CD option should remain available for anything that is a lot of Megabytes; I could see Logos not wantnig to keep CD inventory around for every single resource, but maybe they could have a burn-on-demand option if people are willing to wait as a trade-off to having to pay more to their ISP for going over their download quota).

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:13 PM

Just received an email from Logos saying that we can change delivery of this resource from CDROM to download.  Thanks, Logos!

Posts 124
Randy Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:35 PM

How do you change from CDROM to download?

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:37 PM

Randy Murphy:

How do you change from CDROM to download?

http://www.logos.com/ChangeToDownloadablePrepubs

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 124
Randy Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:42 PM

Thanks Lynden good to go now.

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:44 PM

Did not change the option for the commentary on the Psalms.

Lynden Williams Communications

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS