Draging book to make a collection

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2010 4:53 AM

With a large library it is becoming a pain to set up collections!

Does anyone know how to select and drag many books at the same into the "+ plus this resources: Drop resources or collection to add here" section. Without the trouble of individually dragging each book to the "+ plus this resources: Drop resources or collection to add here" section. Can i select all the resource from point A to point B, how do i accomplish this? Thanks for the help in advance.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3744
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:57 AM

Ted Hans:
Without the trouble of individually dragging each book to the "+ plus this resources
Ted Hans:
how to select and drag many books at the same into the "+ plus this resources

Not possible.

The best way to accomplish this is with nested collections. (http://wiki.logos.com/Collections)

Use smaller collections that capture as many resources as possible into something meaningful.

Nest them into larger collections that you'll then exclude.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 12:45 PM

Thanks Bills, for the response. Much appreciated.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3744
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:51 PM

Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 4:43 PM

This is definately a flaw that should be fixed it isn't hard to do unless the indexes don't permit it dragging and dropping one book at a time pardon my thoughts is absurd especially with the .net architecture anyone from logos please look into this.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 12:56 AM

Yes, being able to drag multiple books at a time has been requested before.

Ted, a much better way to create a collection of all books by a particular author is to use the rule field, rather than dragging books. Either one of these rules should catch all the John Frame books in your library.

author:"John M. Frame" OR author:"John Frame"

author:John AND author:Frame

(actually, in the second one, the operator "AND" is optional because it's understood when you have multiple terms in the rule)

I don't have any John Frame books in my library, so I can't test this, but let us know if it worked for you and didn't miss any of his books or include anything that wasn't by him. The second rule might potentially catch some unwanted books if there happened to be any book by someone (not John) with the last name Frame (e.g., James Everett Frame, who wrote the ICC commentary on Thessalonians) and another author whose first name happened to be John. So I'd go with the first option. The author's name might always appear with the middle initial in your library, but using this more generic rule would catch any additional ones that might be added in the future if the middle initial were left out.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:02 AM

Also, you don't ever need to drag anything from the "resulting collection" section below to the "Plus these resources" section. You've already created a collection with all John M. Frame's books by what you typed in the rule field in the screen shot you provided! Just stop there, and you're done.Smile  You can use the "John Frame Collection" as is and it should work. Try it. For example, do a search in it.  (If you've already created your John Frame Collection by draggin

The "Plus these resources" area is where you drag things from the Library which for some reason weren't picked up by your rule and so weren't initially included in the "resulting collection" area below. But if you construct your rules properly, 90% of the time you won't need to put anything there at all (or in the "Minus these resources" section).

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:06 AM

Furthermore, I noticed that you've had to exclude such books as "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" which is by John Piper. Has nothing to do with John Frame. But it was picked up by your rule because you didn't use quotes around the name, so John matched it. What a huge waste of time! You shouldn't ever need to do that. Use quotes around phrases and it will ensure that phrase appears all together. When you use separate search terms like that, it will find all resources that match John and M and Frame, but that's a very broad list. First, because it doesn't confine the matches to full words, so "m" will match any word that has an "m" in it. And second, because Frame happens to also be an English word and will match words like "framework" as well. So the John Piper book must have had the word "frame" somewhere in its publisher or subject or description or embedded in a longer word.

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:45 AM

RosieYes,

Thanks for your very informative & helpful post. Kudos!

Ted.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 12:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

Also, you don't ever need to drag anything from the "resulting collection" section below to the "Plus these resources" section. You've already created a collection with all John M. Frame's books by what you typed in the rule field in the screen shot you provided! Just stop there, and you're done.Smile  You can use the "John Frame Collection" as is and it should work. Try it. For example, do a search in it.  (If you've already created your John Frame Collection by draggin

Oops! I never finished that sentence. I was editing another part of the post and forgot to come back to it. What I was going to say was if you've already created your John Frame Collection by dragging books into it, then try my suggestion with another author.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:03 PM

Also watch Mark Barnes's excellent videos "Creating Collections in Logos 4" and "Creating Collections in Logos 4 (Advanced)" -- the latter is about creating nested dynamic collections.

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:05 PM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie Perera:

Oops! I never finished that sentence. I was editing another part of the post and forgot to come back to it. What I was going to say was if you've already created your John Frame Collection by dragging books into it, then try my suggestion with another author.

Got your point, it was not lost in translation! Thanks, very helpful, tried various collection & i am up and running for now.

Ted.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS