One Year Bible Reading Plan

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 5
Jim Ailor | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:39 AM

I know that Logus provides a One Year Bible Reading Plan (OT NT Psalms Proverbs), but it does not match up with the one that our church is presently following--the One Year Bible Online.Com (OT NT Psalms Proverbs).  Is it possible to import/copy/create the One Year Bible Online.com plan into Logos 4?

Jim

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:10 PM

Yes, check the wiki for examples.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
Jim Ailor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 2:16 PM

I have been to wiki and looked at Reading Plans, but I am assuming that the OT/NT/Psalms/Proverbs reading plan that is there is the one that I have already prepared in Logos and discovered that it is not the same as the Reading Plan at http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/.  However, if I am mistaken and the wiki reading plan is identical to the one at http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/, I cannot find any help regarding the process of getting it loaded into Logos.  Thank you for your help.

Posts 5
Jim Ailor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 12:10 PM

Been to wike,  I still can't do what I want to do.  For example, for January 1, I would like to read Gen 1:1--2:25, Mt 1:1--2:12, Ps 1:1-6, Prov 1:1-6.  For January 2, I would like to read Gen 3:1--4:26, Mt 2:13--3:6, Ps 2:1-12, Prov 1:7-9.

I need to be able to create a specific  and unique reading plan to match up with the one that everyone in my church is doing.  When I copy "Ge–Job, Ec–Mal | Mt–Re | Ps | Pr," I get an OT, NT, Ps and Pr reading each day, but they do not match up with the reading plan that everyone in my church is reading.  If I need to, I will type out each day's reading plan, but I can't figure out how to do that, either.

You help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Posts 98
April Pyle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 12:16 PM

Does your Church follow a Lectionary?  If so, have you checked the appropriate Lectionary to see if it includes the reading plan?

I've not looked at any of the Lectionary since my Southern Baptist church doesn't use one.

April

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 12:43 PM

AprilLStrong:
Does your Church follow a Lectionary?  If so, have you checked the appropriate Lectionary to see if it includes the reading plan?

When we have the ability to build our own lectionaries, we will be able to "abuse" the lectionary format to create a pseudo-reading plan but it won't behave quite like a reading plan. Lectionaries contain the readings for worship; many prayer books fit easily into their format. Some prayer books include an "Office of Readings" which include both Biblical and patristic readings. This is as close to a reading plan as I have seen in lectionaries.

None of the lectionaries currently in Logos include the Office of Reading - so good idea but not an immediate solution

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 12:50 PM

You need to use one of the more elaborate chronological reading plans as your model i.e. create your entire reading list into one long string to paste into create reading plan.  There will still be some differences but you should be able to get very close. By the way, I already like your reading plan because it isn't based on chapter boundaries.Smile

Posts 6
JD Wilhite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:25 PM

What is the URL address of the wiki? Can you post a link to it? Thanks.

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:27 PM

http://wiki.logos.com/search.aspx?q=reading+plan

Note that the top of the page has a link to the wiki and you can do a search from there.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:33 PM

James D. Wilhite:
What is the URL address of the wiki? Can you post a link to it? Thanks.
It is at the top of the page.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5
Jim Ailor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:41 PM

I'm Baptist.  No lectionary.

Posts 5
Jim Ailor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:46 PM

I’m a little dense.  I’m having trouble figuring out how to do this.  I pasted the following string in an attempt to set up Jan 1 and Jan 2:

“Gen 1:1-2:25|Mt 1:1-2:12|Ps 1:1-6|Pr 1:1-6;Gen 3:1-4:26|Mt 2:13-3:6|Ps 2:1-12|Pr 1:7-9”

But that didn’t work.  Those two strings (separated by a semi-colon) were both spread out over Jan 1 and Jan 2.  For example, parts of both Gen 1 and Gen 3 were found on both Jan 1 and Jan 2.  Each verse reading was distributed over Jan 1 and Jan 2—all 8 verse readings.

Is there not some way that I could just type in the exact verse the way that I want it to occur for each day of the year? 

The reading plan that I want to use is fairly common.  I use it with my Palm PDA (software provided by Laridian) and it is the same reading plan found at http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/.  It happens to be the plan that my church has chosen to follow.

For example, here is what I would like the first five days to look like:

Jan 1: Gen 1:1-2:25 | Mt 1:1-2:12 | Ps 1:1-6 | Pr 1:1-6

Jan 2: Gen 3:1-4:26 | Mt 2:13-3:6 | Ps 2:1-12 | Pr 1:7-9

Jan 3: Gen 5:1-7:24 | Mt 3:7-4:11 | Ps 3:1-8 | Pr 1:10-19

Jan 4: Gen 8:1-10:32 | Mt 4:12-25 | Ps 4:1-8 | Pr 1:20-23

Jan 5: Gen 11:1-13:4 | Mt 5:1-26 | Ps 5:1-12 | Pr 1:24-28

Can you give me some pointers as to how to do that or to at least get close?  How do I separate the days—with a comma, with a semi-colon, ????????

With the chronological plans, each day is separated by a comma, but each day has only one reading.  Each of my days has 4 readings.  Can you offer any help?

Jim

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 3:52 PM

Jim Ailor:

I'm Baptist.  No lectionary.

Hey, I have a copy of an American Baptist lectionary ... and while it is a bit of a stretch, would the African-American (multi-denominational) lectionary count?Big Smile

Posts 35540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 3:55 PM

Jim Ailor:
With the chronological plans, each day is separated by a comma, but each day has only one reading.  Each of my days has 4 readings.  Can you offer any help?

I haven't played with it enough to have anything better to offer than to divide it into 4 plans. I hope someone with more experience with this feature will weigh in.

Posts 98
April Pyle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 3:00 PM

Where might a person find a Chronological reading plan already constructed? 

fyi   I have Logos 4 Bible Study package.

April

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 5:21 PM

AprilLStrong:
Where might a person find a Chronological reading plan already constructed? 

There are  a couple of different ones on the wiki - http://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 1
Andrew J. Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:05 PM

Jim,

Did anyone ever get back to you on this?  If you've found a way to set up the oneyearbibleonline.com plan, please let me know. 

Thanks,

Andrew Knisely

Posts 4
Steven Thibault | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:01 PM

Andrew,

I would really appreciate if you would post (for Dummies) how you successfully set set up the oneyearbibleonline.com reading plan. I also use this same reading plan and have to toggle between Logos 4 and oneyearbibleonline.com. Sometimes I just use the oneyearbibleonline.com reading software because its easier but would love to take advantage of the amenities in Logos 4 since I already have it.

Steve

Posts 92
Chris Lohroff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:41 PM

The wiki has a clear explanation on how to create your own customized reading plan.  Go to this page http://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans and look for the heading

Manually customised reading plans

Posts 4
Steven Thibault | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:35 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. When I go to the WIKI and select the reading plan OT-NT-Psalms-Proverbs, it allows me to set up a reading plan but it is different from the Oneyearbibleonline.com reading plan. It is close, but its still a different reading plan even when I tweak the starting dates it lands me on a different day then  the OneYearBibleOnline.com Plan.  I see by the  original  poster that was trying to set up his reading plan to sync with oneyearbibleonline.com  had this same problem.  Any help would be appreciated

Steve

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS