updates

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Kevin Greene | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:29 AM

I'm a new Logos user, I use a broadband card on my PC at home. I have a limited amount of gigs (5) per month, will Logos send me a CD with all the updates on it? I mean I'm looking at 2+ gigs in updates (after it had downloaded 1+gig) I realized what was going on and stopped it. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:50 AM

Yes, you can order a media only DVD.  If you did that once a 12 to 18 months, you should be fine.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:00 AM

Almost unlimited braodband is widely available and relatively inexpensive for almost everyone in North America, most parts of Europe, and many places in Asia these days.  This has unfortunately led to the development of models for new applications which assume everyone everywhere has inexpensive access to unlimited broadband, which is simply NOT yet the case and will NOT be in several parts of the world for decades to come (rural Uganda anyone ?).

A couple of months back Logos said that they are doing something towards making DVDs available as an alternative means of getting these updates, but I have heard nothing recently on this topic.   Of course getting DVDs from west coast USA to remoter parts of the planet is not a simple swift task either, but the ponies at least know most of the trails along which they need to treck to get such things distributed.

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 10:31 AM

If you have a notebook, what about going somewhere (visit somebody) who has fast unlimited Internet connection and download the main download of the resources there? Just a thought.

Than you should be fine to do an occasional update, mainly the engine, which is about 38 MB. You can switch off the automatic download and use of Internet.

Bohuslav

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:32 PM

Joe

I am in the same predicament.

How do I order the DVD update?

Fred

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:40 PM

I think this is what your after

http://www.logos.com/products/details/5579

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 7
Kevin Greene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 7:00 PM

Hey Thanks, I've had great service by emailing customerservice@logos.com. Always prompt and helpful. You must be on the west coast, I must get to bed I've got a big Theology test tomorrow.

KGr

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 2:59 AM

Thank you David.

I had to wait nearly three months for this info.

I don't know why Logos did not mention this option in their daily info.

Thanks again.

I will let you know the outcome.

God Bless

Fred

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 3:25 AM

This may not be of help to the original poster here, but I have the following question:

What if someone with one of the larger packages made a DVD of just the resources files from their own install?

1) I assume that the application has security/encryption, so nothing is at risk of being "stolen", or being used by anyone that does not hold the license for a given resource. Is this true?

2) I also assume that a "Scan DVD" or "Scan <dirname>" will only pick up the file(s) it needs and ignore any that are outdated, or for which this is no license. Is this true?

3) I assume this is a valid support method for someone that has a friend that can do this for them. Is this true?

To be clear: I am in no way suggesting anyone attempts to obtain anything for which they have no license.

In L3, the files just sat there on an FTP server. In principle, a user could get the file from someone else. No problem. Does this hold true for L4?

So, basic question, is it OK to share downloaded resource files, trusting the Logos license system to protect the IP, and to only allow the content to be used by licensed users?

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:10 AM

I think that would work Jim. You can download an Logos 4 iso that includes all the resources in Scholars Platinum. See this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4080/48947.aspx#48947

This iso would be easier though, just burn it to a disc and your set. If I understand correctly. This wouldn't help the OP directly, but would be useful if the OP could get the iso easy via disc

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 6:52 AM

JimT

1) Yes, Logos has security/encryption. It shouldn't load book files unless you have a license. Libronix could search "locked" books but you couldn't read or use any other features

2) Yes, that is correct.

3) This would be a big help for someone who had slow or limited internet. An old resource won't replace a newer resource (there have been some version issues with Galaxie journals, I thought the problem was fixed, but I think I read a thread about it earlier today... any way this is an outlier case, not a normal problem). Keep in mind that Logos 4 might immediately download and replace a book if an update has been released since the CD was burned

So, yes it is ethical to share book files. In fact it probably will save Logos some money in reduced bandwidth.

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 2:47 AM

Thanks David.

Got the DVD  (Win 40.0c)

Waste of time and money.    Has not changed the amount of Downlaods (in GB's) required to update.

Is there a certain procedure to update from Disc?

regards

Fred

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 2:56 AM

I bought the DVD media disc and installed it. (Win 4.0c)

Waste of time and Money.  Program still requires the same amount of downloads as before

Is there a special peocedure to updte from disc?

Fred

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:56 AM

Yes there would be Fred. Logos will still be looking for the updates online. You will need to open Logos 4, turn off automatic updates - do so in program settings, and then in the command bar enter scan <DVD drive>     Close and restart L4. It may take a minute or two after you re-open Logos to start copying.    Once files are copied off the DVD you should only have minimal downloads if any. 

Let me know if it works

I'm sorry its been such a pain for you.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:00 AM

Fred Marzin:
Is there a special peocedure to updte from disc?

It should load resources from the Disc then download. What happened (how did you update)?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 2:44 AM

Thanks David.

Can you describe EXACTLY the command eg "scan <H:> "  "scan H:"  nothing seems to work.

The DVD drive is H:

thanks

Fred

Posts 7
Fred Marzin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 2:45 AM

Dave

I updated from the disc directly

Fred

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS