Benjamin's family tree does not match the three different ones found in the Bible...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2015 10:12 AM

My daughter's reading her Bible through and asked me a question about the two different family trees for Benjamin in 1 Chron.7.6-12 and 1 Chron.8.1-7.  Wanting to prove her that she can come to me with any question about the Bible, I used Logos 6 to bring up Benjamin's family tree.  Oups!  It shows 14 sons instead of the three presented in 1 Chron.7 (and Numbers 26.38-41) and of the five presented in 1 Chron.8.

I'll work on understanding the apparent contradiction in the Bible.  But can someone help me understand the huge discrepancy between L6 and any of the biblical texts?

PS: I used "Topic Guide" to look up "judgement seat" and L6 came up with... ONE entry!  It referred me to the fact tool which showed even less.  Same thing happened about something else recently.  Any reasonable explanations?

Posts 3681
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:12 PM

It looks like they have opted to conflate together in one tree all the sons that are mentioned in various passages instead of just the ones mentioned in the passage to which the family tree is connected. For instance, you will find a number of these sons mentioned in Gen 46:21. 

You can search for each son in the series of 14 by doing a person search in the Bible. For instance, type Gera, wait for choices to be offered to you and then select the one that is labeled "son of Benjamin". Doing the same with the others will help you find the references to them all and should give you material to ponder the differences between these genealogies and discuss them with your daughter. There are, of course, other resources that can help with that if need be. 

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:41 PM

Sylvio Janelle:

PS: I used "Topic Guide" to look up "judgement seat" and L6 came up with... ONE entry!  It referred me to the fact tool which showed even less.  Same thing happened about something else recently.  Any reasonable explanations?

It would depend on your library - I get many hits. Try spelling it as  "judgment" and see if that makes a difference.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:52 PM

Francis, you're right.  I was in too much of a surprise to go check the most logical source of information: Genesis!  Thanks.

MJ, you're a genious!  It's because of my French accent!  I can't believe that I came up with one result with the way I spelled "judgement"!  

Problems solved.  Thank you both!

Posts 3681
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 1:04 PM

Even though we have found the source of its information, it still remains something of a problem, in my view, that people diagrams that are attached to a specific passage, such as 1 Chr 7:6-12, can in fact include material that does not come from this passage.

Posts 4765
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 8:15 PM

Sylvio Janelle:
I can't believe that I came up with one result with the way I spelled "judgement"!

I've never understood why the "e" was dropped to begin with. No real reason for doing it.

Posts 8953
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 17 2015 5:15 AM

David Paul:

Sylvio Janelle:
I can't believe that I came up with one result with the way I spelled "judgement"!

I've never understood why the "e" was dropped to begin with. No real reason for doing it.

The spelling of "judgement" is apparently gaining in popularity - http://grammarist.com/spelling/judgment-judgement/

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS