Have NICOT/NICNT ever been part of a Base Package?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1562
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 8 2015 8:38 PM

I'm considering a purchase of the NICOT/NICNT commentary set while it's on sale.  I'm guessing the only way it might be cheaper, is if part of a Base Package, but as far as I can tell, it's not offered as part of any Base Package at the current time.  Just wondering if it's ever happened before.

I also plan to add up the cost of just the individual commentaries in the set that are ranked #1 and #2 by Best Commentaries, but am not sure if that's a good strategy as I don't know how they arrive at their rankings.

I'm not in ministry--just a lay-person looking for respected resources.  Thoughts on either approach (purchase of full set at sale price vs. individual purchase of volumes ranked 1 or 2 by Best Commentaries will be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 8:48 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
I'm considering a purchase of the NICOT/NICNT commentary set while it's on sale.  I'm guessing the only way it might be cheaper, is if part of a Base Package, but as far as I can tell, it's not offered as part of any Base Package at the current time.  Just wondering if it's ever happened before.

No, never been offered before in a base package.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 679
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 9:23 PM

Based on my knowleadge, a publisher would have to discount a commentary series to "pennies on the dollar" for it to be included in a base package. This particular series continues to sell well (in my opinion); so I doubt the publisher would. 

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 4:47 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
(purchase of full set at sale price vs. individual purchase of volumes ranked 1 or 2 by Best Commentaries will be appreciated.

Just counted and discovered that 24 of the 47 volumes are rated wither 1 or 2, with several more rated as 3. At this rate, cost of the set would be less than acquiring the individual high-rated volumes. OTOH, if you are only interested in a few volumes—and are convinced that interest will never change—you might be better off with those individual purchases.

BTW—I am almost 80 and could not guarantee that my interests will never change Wink. If it were me, I would go for the entire set. I purchased the set when it was first introduced, and have never regretted the investment.

Posts 2519
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 6:08 AM

I also purchased the set when it first became available in Logos and it's become one of my most used commentaries.  Although expensive, I don't regret the purchase and would buy it again.

I've never seen it available in a base package either.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 6:27 AM

I agree with those who have never seen it in a base package. Sets like it and even the slightly cheaper Word Biblical Commentary I don't EVER see being in a base package.  They are too popular and make too much money. 

Posts 1562
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 9:00 AM

Thanks to everyone who has replied.  Making a purchase decision on this set is the most difficult buying decision I've pondered with Logos--not because I have any doubt about the quality of the series--I'd love to have it.  As a lay-person, my wrestling is purely a question of financial prudence.

I currently have the Logos 6 Gold package, and between the resources that came with it and other commentary sets I've purchased, I'm reasonably pleased with the commentary sets I have.  E.g. In alphabetical order, some of the larger/more complete sets I have include:  Black's NT Commentary, Bible Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition, Calvin's Commentaries, College Press NIV, Early Church Fathers, Holman New Testament, Horae Homileticae, IVP Bible Background, Lange's, Lenski's, NAC, NIVAC, Pillar NT, Pulpit, Randall House, Socio-Rhetorical, and UBS Handbooks.  There are also several other/smaller sets/subsets.

If purchased, I feel the NICOT/NICNT would probably be the last major commentary set purchase I would make and feel it would go a long ways in rounding out a lay-person's sets of commentaries.  But... even on sale, at $1197 I can't help but wonder if as a lay-person, the "value added" will justify the expenditure.  Confused

Not asking anyone for an answer--just thinking on paper.  Smile

Thanks again for all the replies.  They are helpful and appreciated.

PS:  Regarding the purchase of the whole set vs. just the #1 and #2 rated volumes, it is true that the number of volumes in the series that are rated highly by Best Commentaries definitely adds to the conundrum.  Unless I miscounted, BC rates 16 volumes as #1, 9 volumes as #2, 12 volumes as #3, and 3 volumes as #4.  If buying individual volumes, the cost for just the 25 volumes rated #1 or #2 comes to apx. $1,020--that's only a $177 savings over buying the whole set, so I don't think a single mass purchase of those 25 volumes is the way to go.  I think it's a matter of deciding whether to buy the whole set at the sale price, or if it would be more prudent to just purchase individual volumes over time as needed--knowing I may never make it through an in-depth study of every book in the Biblical canon.  I'd like the whole set but...   Huh?SmileHuh?

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 10:52 AM

Rick, I can appreciate the struggle you described, and I largely find myself in the same boat. I am completely sold on the quality of the set, but $1200 is $1200, especially if you already have many other good commentaries. I hope to obtain this set one day, but for me it is not in the budget right now. I don't say that to dissuade you - so please don't take it that way. I definitely can empathize with the internal struggle about this set. I don't think I have ever read on the forums about anyone who ever bought it and then regretted it later.

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 10:59 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
As a lay-person, my wrestling is purely a question of financial prudence.

Well, I have the same question. But sometimes I just think that buying a book is like a donation, just supporting the publisher and the author. 

Regarding to the NICOT, I've bought Genesis recently and I was positively surpised

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 75
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 6:42 PM

Add me to the list of others in the same boat as you.  I have the old Bible Study base package and have added a few commentary sets like WBC, Baker NT, NIV Application, and EBC.  I almost pulled the trigger on NICOT/NICNT during the Christmas sale, but decided against it.  I did pick up a few top rated volumes at a good discount during the March Madness sale.  

The biggest reason for my hesitation is because when I analyze the amount of time I have spent actually reading some of my latest commentary sets, it has been minimal.  It certainly makes it very difficult to justify a > $1000 purchase.  I'd say if your getting good value out of past commentary purchases, then you will likely get good value out of the NICOT/NICNT. 

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2015 8:29 PM

I purchased this set a couple of months ago after being on the fence about it, because of cost. I actually called and was discussing the NIVAC set w a representative. If you are interested in this set I would call before buying online. In my experience the faithlife team has always been helpful. By the way, I ended up getting both sets!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS