New Feature: Addressees in Reported Speech (Dataset)

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 10 2015 10:53 AM

What is it?

Addressees in Reported Speech is a dataset that labels all the places a person is spoken to in the Old and New Testaments.

How does it work?

The Addressees in Reported Speech dataset allows you to quickly locate all the places where a person, place, or thing is spoken to in the biblical texts. Find everywhere Satan speaks to Jesus. Or look for all the places Jesus prays to the Father. You can even search for every passage where Jesus speaks to the city of Jerusalem and find where he laments over its coming destruction.

Where can I learn more?

Posts 676
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 6:57 PM

can we limit this to addresses: disciples Speaker jesus and commands on my duty to self duty to God and duty to my neighbor?

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 7:30 PM

There is no specific tag for "duty" or "obligation." But this might get you close to something you're looking for:

Use the Morph search and use this search query:

{Addressee <Person Disciples>} {Speaker <Person Jesus>}  @V??M

Posts 676
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 10:01 PM

Jacob Cerone:

There is no specific tag for "duty" or "obligation." 

Maybe that should be something Logos could develop? hint hint

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 2:24 PM

Jacob Cerone:
dataset allows you to quickly locate all the places where a person, place, or thing is spoken to

Have you an example of Addressee Thing?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 2:28 PM

Dave Hooton:

Check out the video in the original post. Here's also an example of Jesus speaking to Jerusalem:

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:11 AM

Jacob Cerone:

Dave Hooton:

Check out the video in the original post. Here's also an example of Jesus speaking to Jerusalem:

Addressee Thing examples??

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:23 AM

Ah...please forgive my confusion. By "thing," I thought you were referring to the dataset in a general "that thing over there" sort of way. (Admittedly, at the time I found that a bit off.)

Let me get back to you in the morning with an example.

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:32 AM

Dave Hooton:

Addressee Thing examples??

Here's one example.

Posts 10525
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 3:17 AM

Is there any way to limit the results to a specific individual. For instance, a search for {Addressee <Person Peter>} not only yields speech addressed directly to Peter, but also when Peter is part of a group. Placing an = anywhere within the equation does not change the result.

Posts 21878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 3:41 AM

Jack Caviness:
Is there any way to limit the results to a specific individual

I like the idea but think it could be difficult as each person is separately tagged as below

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 1:17 AM

Jacob Cerone:
Here's one example.

Thank you!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1504
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 3:18 AM

Jack Caviness:

Is there any way to limit the results to a specific individual. For instance, a search for {Addressee <Person Peter>} not only yields speech addressed directly to Peter, but also when Peter is part of a group. Placing an = anywhere within the equation does not change the result.

This gets you pretty much what you are asking for, although not in the way you were hoping for:

{Addressee <Person Peter>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person John (son of Zebedee)>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person Andrew>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person Disciples>}

Posts 10525
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 7:29 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Jack Caviness:

This gets you pretty much what you are asking for, although not in the way you were hoping for:

{Addressee <Person Peter>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person John (son of Zebedee)>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person Andrew>} ANDNOT {Addressee <Person Disciples>}

I did think of that method, and it may well the be only way to accomplish the task.

Posts 1812
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:58 AM

Jack Caviness:

This is a good suggestion. We're looking into it.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 2:12 AM

Could someone explain to me why Mose talk to Aaron works

but Aaron talks to Mose not? First is the Lord talking to Mose and Aaron

Posts 21878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 3:55 AM

The search  "{Addressee <Person Moses>} {Speaker <Person Aaron>}" looks for verses where both terms are present which is true for Ex 12:3

I think you want " {Addressee <Person Moses>} WITHIN {Speaker <Person Aaron>}" to find cases where Moses is being spoken to and Aaron is speaking.

The Ex 12:3 case will still appear, however.

This is because the speech in verses 3-6 is tagged with God, Moses and Aaron all speaking. I think this is a tagging mistake and it should just be tagged as God speaking.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 4:58 AM

Graham Criddle:
This is because the speech in verses 3-6 is tagged with God, Moses and Aaron all speaking. I think this is a tagging mistake and it should just be tagged as God speaking.

You're right (although the problem only begins halfway through verse 3).

Posts 21878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 5:34 AM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Criddle:

You're right (although the problem only begins halfway through verse 3).

Correct - thanks for clarifying Mark

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:31 AM

thanks. Graham Close I like to see every Vers where Aaron talk to Mose

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS