CRASH: when searching

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 11 2015 5:50 AM

I am running some simple English word searches in the ESV.  Normally the first search completes successfully, but any subsequent searches in the same tab are hit and miss, and I am experiencing frequent crashes to desktop about 50% of the time.

Logs attached for the nerds.

Thank you.

1018.LogosLogs.phil.20150811-133325.zip

Posts 24772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 5:56 AM

The log has:

08/11/2015 13:33:11 |  WARN | 60 |   AsyncWorkItem | Async work threw exception: System.FormatException: ResourceMilestoneIndex with name 'bible+esv' for resource 'LLS:1.0.710' with version '2015-02-03T19:45:56Z' has invalid data. Tried to find milestones for '[ResourceMilestoneQuery: Reference=bible+esv.1-24, Headword=, HeadwordLanguage=, IsHeadwordPrefix=False, OverrideReference=null, MaxResults=, AllowFallback=False]' ---> System.FormatException: The string has an invalid format

which suggests there is something wrong with the ESV.

I would hide it and restore it and see if that addresses the issue - details at https://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books 

Posts 29477
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:02 AM

Philip Evans:
Logs attached for the nerds.

Hey now. I resemble that remark. Smile 

Here is the trouble in the log:

Log File:

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Libronix.Utility.Threading.AsyncWorkException: Unhandled exception in asynchronous work. ---> System.FormatException: ResourceMilestoneIndex with name 'bible+esv' for resource 'LLS:1.0.710' with version '2015-02-03T19:45:56Z' has invalid data.

The resource LLS:1.0.710 is the ESV. I <think> it has become corrupted. Can you reproduce this issue using another translation? My suggestion would be to "hide" your ESV. Let it finish it's thing, then redownload it and see what happens after it has finished indexing. 

Another possibility would be to use the command rebuild bible index. If the resource file has become corrupted, rebuilding the index won't accomplish anything, so I would try the other first. 

EDIT: I see you got to it first Graham! Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:06 AM

Thanks both for such a quick response.  Can I please just check that hiding and unhiding my ESV will not remove any notes I have attached to it (or break anything else for that matter)?!

Posts 29477
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:09 AM

Philip Evans:
Can I please just check that hiding and unhiding my ESV will not remove any notes I have attached to it (or break anything else for that matter)?!

It will not. Your note document is separate from the resource itself. 

Do you know about note documents? How highlighting works and where those notes are stored?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:47 AM

Ok, I've tried both of those fixes, but neither appear to have worked.

Logs attached again - thanks.

3175.LogosLogs.phil.20150811-144430.zip

Posts 9100
LogosEmployee

We suspect this problem may be caused by file corruption, but we haven't been able to reproduce this problem in-house. Could you upload your ESV.logos4 file so we can compare it to our official copy (to (dis)prove this hypothesis)?

In the meantime, the immediate cause of the problem is searching within a passage range. If you change your search to search within "All Bible Text" (instead of Gen-Jer), the crash should stop happening.

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:59 AM

Thanks Bradley - please can you let me know how to find this file?

As an aside, the problem is not just with the ESV.  I've run the searches again on another Bible (NKJV) and I crashed again.

Posts 9100
LogosEmployee

Philip Evans:
Thanks Bradley - please can you let me know how to find this file?

You should be able to find it at: /Users/phil/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/2k36fpx5.gjh/ResourceManager/Resources/ESV.logos4

If it's too large to attach to a forum post, you may be able to upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link (if you use either of those services).

Philip Evans:
As an aside, the problem is not just with the ESV.  I've run the searches again on another Bible (NKJV) and I crashed again.

Hmm, this makes me think that it's not file corruption (if it's happening to two files). Can you post log files of the second crash so I can verify that it's the same problem?

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 7:17 AM

I've tried running the searches without restricting the reference range, and no problems yet so I'll probably just stick to doing it this way.

Is there a fix coming for that particular problem?

Posts 55
LogosEmployee
Matt Preucil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 8:18 AM

Philip,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.  As Bradley mentioned, this is an issue we are aware of but haven't been able to reproduce in house in order to properly diagnose and fix it.  Sending us your ESV.logos4 and NKJV.logos4 files (see Bradley's earlier post) would be extremely helpful to us in fixing this issue.

Thanks for your help!

- Matt

Posts 18
Philip Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 5:41 AM

Matt and Bradley

Dropbox links to my ESV and NKJV resources below:

ESV

NKJV

I've been experiencing more crashes today as well, again with searching.  For example, I can run the following as a 'Bible' search:

<LN 93.389-615>

However, if I run it again, but as follows:

<LN 93.389-615> ANDNOT (<LN 93.xxx>, <LN 93. yyy>)

...I crash to desktop.  I've uploaded my logs again.

Thanks as always for the help.

0216.LogosLogs.phil.20150813-134159.zip

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS