Seeking Recommendation for Resource Explaining How Original Manuscripts were Accurately Copied

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2015 5:09 PM

MJ. Smith:

I would suggest something like The Rise and Fall of the Bible by Timothy Beal as a prelude to any books suggestions that meet your criteria..

Different approach on the subject but kept my interest till the end. Now on to the others that you suggested.  

Posts 82
Joseph | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 4:09 PM

Willie D.:
I'm looking for a book in Logos which is dedicated entirely to explaining how the original inspired manuscripts were accurately copied, then canonized, and eventually translated into English. 

In addition to the books suggested here, look at the Logos Reverse Interlinears. They are based on the OT or NT manuscript (SBL, NA editions,Tischendorf, etc.) which were used in the process of the translation.  Reverse Interlinears allow you to see how a translation was made from the original Greek & Hebrew into the vernacular translation.

Posts 157
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 7:29 PM

Joseph Grigoletti:

In addition to the books suggested here, look at the Logos Reverse Interlinears.

Hi Joseph.  I appreciate your reply and I agree that interlinears play a key role in the Bible study process; however, the main emphasis of my current search has been on finding a book or books that explain the early history of the process, especially the steps taken by scribes to accurately transmit text from the original autographs to early manuscript copies and then subsequent steps taken to accurately transmit text from those early manuscripts to later copies.   I just finished reading "How We Got Our Bible" by Lightfoot in Logos which was helpful in succinctly explaining this historical process for both the OT and NT.  I've ordered a hard copy of the more comprehensive resource "The Journey from Texts to Translations" by Wegner which will hopefully meet all my needs for now.  Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS