Crash: Logos 4 bombs as soon as you give it your account details

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:44 PM

Hi,

I've just run the Logos 4 installer from the media.

It runs but it crashes as soon as you enter your email address and password.

"Logos Bible Software has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

If I click "What data does this error report contain?" it says:

EventType:  clr20r3

P1: logos4.exe

P2: 4.1.3.4767

P3: 4b3bf919

P4: libronix.utility

etc

So what do I do now?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:48 PM

Enable Logging http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging , try logging in again and when it crashes post the logs to the forum http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:17 PM

Holding down Ctrl during the startup of Logos 4 causes it to crash sooner than it did without holding down Ctrl, and the crash is different.  The Error signature of the crash shows P4:  system.configuration when logging is enabled.  There is no [My Documents]\Logos Log Files directory at all and as far as I can tell, nothing is logged.

I get the same behaviour if I run the EnableLogging.js script that sets the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logos4\Logging to 0x00000001

If the registry key goes back to zero, then at least when Ctrl is not pressed, you get the prompt that asks for the user/pass details.

Posts 24443
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 10:50 PM

DavidAndrewCampbell:
I've just run the Logos 4 installer from the media.

If the media is DVD then i'd like you to uninstall Logos4 from the Control Panel, delete its install folder  \Logos4** and install from

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

You can cancel the (large) download if you get that far by right clicking on the Logos blue icon in the Windows Taskbar.

If necessary produce logs by permanently enabling logging.

**  the standard installation path is:-

XP -> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4

Vista/Win7 -> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Logos4

As AppData is a hidden folder you need to set Explorer's Folder Options to enable viewing of hidden files and folders.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1
Travis Bowers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:09 AM

I am having a similar problem trying to install Logos 4 on my new PC.  Each time I go to the Logos site and login in and try to download the Logos 4 setup, my Internet Explorer tells me that it cannot find the page.  I have tried this from Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.  Am I doing something wrong?

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:31 PM

OK I've uninstalled Logos4, and now when I run the installer you specify above, it pops up a requester saying "Note: Windows Installer was unable to verify that the Logos 4 Prerequisites were installed successfully."

Then, when I click OK it says:

Window title:  Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Then when I press OK again I get the standard windows request for handling an application crash, asking whether to send an error report to microsoft or not.  I declined sending it to microsoft.

So now what do I do?

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:44 PM

David,

There can be more than one C++ error and solution, so it would be helpful to get log files. Try rebooting your computer and running the EnableLogging.js file again as soon as Windows reloads completely. Try running the setup again. If it crashes, close program when prompted (you can send report to Microsoft). If you still do not find logs in \Documents\Logos Log Files\, please call Customer Support at 800-875-6467 if possible. They are available Mon-Fri, 6am to 5pm PST.

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 1:12 PM

OK I enabled logging and could see this at the end of the log:

2010-02-10T20:47:22Z 0xCD0 Info RunCommandDownload Downloading in the background file 'Logos Bible Software 4 Installer' from 'http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4.msi' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\dcampbel\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Install\Installers\Logos4.msi'. Existing Copy Job ID: (none)

2010-02-10T20:47:22Z 0xCD0 Info Download Creating BITS job with normal priority.

2010-02-10T20:47:22Z 0xCD0 Error IssueError Issuing exception 0x80070005: Access is denied. [.\BitsClient.cpp(57)]

I had been fiddling around with reinstallations again and hadn't manually deleted the stuff from C:\Documents and Settings\dcampbel\Local Settings\Application Data It seems that if the MSI files exist (and they are read only) then it can't write them and the installer crashes.  That seems to be a bug to me. Anyway I proceeded to delete the files and then the installation succeeded. But now I'm back to square one because even with the new installer, I'm getting the very same error that I originally reported at the top of this case.  It asks for my user/pass and then crashes.  If I enable logging via the EnableLogging.js script, then it crashes BEFORE asking for the user/pass and logs nothing!  If I run the DisableLogging.js script then it returns to crashing after asking for user/pass. So I can't get any log information for you.  Where to now?

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 2:14 PM

I booted into safe mode with networking and exactly the same problem happens.

I'm at a loss to know what to do next.

Posts 24443
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 2:48 PM

Make sure you can accept Windows Updates eg. try an optional download from the Windows Update site. In Control Panel Set it to NOT update automatically eg. to warn before downloading. Do you have multiple Logos account id's - you might want to ring Support to check/fix that one?

Go back to my recommendation but first uninstall/remove EVERYTHING, which includes L4 Prerequisites. Make sure your account is an Administrator as opposed to Standard User.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:46 PM

Running XP pro here right up to date via automatic updates.

I am using an account that is an administrator account.

No I only have one Logos account.

I uninstalled Logos4, and the prerequisites and deleted C:\Documents and Settings\dcampbel\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4 Then I installed completely from the download you provided. It successfully installed, but now I'm back to square one again because even with the new installation, I'm getting the very same error that I originally reported at the top of this page. It asks for my user/pass and then crashes. If I enable logging via the EnableLogging.js script, then it crashes BEFORE asking for the user/pass and logs nothing! If I run the DisableLogging.js script then it returns to crashing after asking for user/pass. So I can't get any log information for you.

Where to now?

Posts 24443
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 4:08 PM

You will be better going to Customer Support as Melissa suggested. They can access your computer and investigate possible solutions.

One thing you might want to try yourself is working off-line (start with Ctrl key) or a normal start with network disabled.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS