External Storage Options

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Joshua Keatts | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 21 2015 12:10 PM

I currently have an HP with Windows 8.x (not sure the actual version) - it utilizes touch screen technology with the screen detaching. The computer has a solid state drive which is fast, however, the drive is practically full just managing the basic program needs of the computer i.e. Microsoft Office and the Operating System. The drive is 64GB and is partitioned so that about 1/4 is designated as back up - I did not configure it this way.

My first attempt at installation was to delete ever non-essential or unused program on the computer followed by a defrag and this allowed for enough space to get the program installed but not enough space to allow for a full index of the software. The second solution was to utilize a thumb drive to install the program with the result of access to the software, and indexing that has been in progress for four days with a result of only 28% of the library being indexed. Before I purchase an external hard drive I need to know if the program will even run fast enough and index. The computer in question is the one that I use for seminary and ministry.

Any suggestions would be great.

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 12:29 PM

Greetings Joshua, and welcome to the family. Smile

Is the HP a desktop or a laptop?

The reason that I ask, is if it is a desktop, it is much better to add a second internal hard drive and load Logos on that rather than to put up with a bottleneck of external interfaces and drives. Logos is heavy on disk usage, so the slow external interface will not leave you very happy.

Posts 4
Joshua Keatts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 12:33 PM

Erwin,

Thanks! The computer is a laptop. I think that because I purchased the logos6 diamond that I will need significant space. The product works very well on my iMac but that computer has tremendous processing power and a very large HD. I really do not want to buy another computer though I guess I could see how feasible/expensive it would be to have another drive installed internally if that is even possible. Solid State is not cheap.

Do you have any suggestions?

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 1:20 PM

1st suggestion is to not jump to any conclusions yet. Let's wait for others to chime in. Smile

Just to give you an idea of Logos space consumption, I have 5838 resources, and my Logos directory is currently at 44G. The rule of thumb is to have at least as much free space as your Logos is consuming in order for indexing to run smoothly. I began with L3, moved to L4 with a series of upgrades, moved to L5 Diamond, added many resources along the line, and crossgraded to L6. It keeps growing.

Now, back to the computer. You have several options. If you don't have an open slot in the laptop for an additional HDD, you can swap out the SSD for a 7200RPM drive with lots of space (250G, 500G, or more) which will be much more economical than a SSD of the same capacity. This option will require quite a bit of work, but once its done, its done. If the HP is brand new, don't do this as it will void the warranty. Another option would be to grab another laptop that has plenty of space, memory, and processing power. I know you don't want to do this, but it is still an option.

Posts 26702
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 21 2015 6:48 PM

Joshua Keatts:
I currently have an HP with Windows 8.x (not sure the actual version) - it utilizes touch screen technology with the screen detaching.

Sounds like a Tablet with the touch screen and minimal drive capacity - the exact HP model would determine what you have.

A Tablet doesn't allow drive replacement as it is usually "hard wired" in. SD cards are too slow for Logos, but if it has a USB 3 interface you can attach a removable hard drive and it would have reasonable speed for Logos. But the fact that it is attached can be a problem!

So let us know the exact HP model.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4
Joshua Keatts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 6:51 PM

Specific model is as follows:

HP Pavilion x2, Windows 8.1, 4GB RAM, 64 GB SSD partitioned with 46.3 GB as main HD and 12.4 GB as the Recovery drive.

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 7:19 PM

Joshua Keatts:

Specific model is as follows:

HP Pavilion x2, Windows 8.1, 4GB RAM, 64 GB SSD partitioned with 46.3 GB as main HD and 12.4 GB as the Recovery drive.

Wow! That's small. For some reason, I was thinking that it was a full sized laptop, when in fact it is more like a Tablet/Netbook. It looks like an easy upgrade is not an option.

Posts 4
Joshua Keatts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 8:04 PM

Thanks for the help. It looks like i'll be saving for a new computer for a while and using the iMac until I can save enough though I will give an external hard drive a chance before I give up on this computer.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 9:46 PM

Since your machine has adequate ram, it is possible to run an extensive library on it. I have a 64 GB tablet that functions acceptably. You might consider backing up the recovery partition, Then eliminating it from the machine. This should give you ample room. It will be much snappier if you can run Logos on the internal drive. If you dedicate it to the single purpose of running Logos, and possibly one note, you should be just fine. Load much else on it and you will take a performance hit.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS