Breakout 3: Linked resource behavior

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 22 2015 10:43 AM

Say I have a screen like this. How can it be that all 3 linked resources are showing different values in their search boxes?

I know part of the answer. I clicked on a verse in the Bible. I expected the other panels to update when I did that. I understand this may be working as designed, but as a new user I find it counter-intuitive when I don't want to scroll to keep them synced.

PS: I love Logos.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 12:58 PM

You screenshot does not show a problem. I see only 2 resources that could be linked. What Scripture address is the NLT showing? I see fsb in the command box, but it does not appear to be opened. Library cannot be linked as it is not indexed by Scripture reference—nor could it be so linked.

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 1:10 PM

Jack Caviness:
I see only 2 resources that could be linked.

Jack, the screenshot is actually larger than shown in the forum post - to the right there's TSK and the Text Comparison box linked to LEB link set A.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 33431
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 1:28 PM

What you are referring to as a Search box is better referred to as a reference box - important because there are search boxes associated with the find and inline search functions. A click does not change the focus - a scroll or entering a value in the reference box does, The click does effect navigation and the linked resources but in a different way - if you click on a link you move to that location.

Starting position:

click on the reference pointed to and you get

This works regardless of which linked resource you click in. It is not limited to Biblical resources. Right click brings up the context menu, hover brings up a tool tip .... there are only so many common navigational actions for Faithlife to assign - click as an indication of position of focus isn't one of them.

An to reiterate the answer given above, resources must share an index to be able to function as linked resources.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 2:08 PM

I understand your examples of clicking on links, but I don't understand why you don't think this is possible. If I click a verse in the Bible, not a link, just a verse, the reference box updates. If the resources are linked, I as a simple user would expect all the reference boxes to update. I don't want to scroll because it's too hard on the eyes, but I want to be able to click on a verse and have the commentary reposition. Click is updating the box now, it just doesn't update the linked resources, which just seems wrong. Is there some negative, unintended consequence if it behaved the way I'm wishing?

Posts 25202
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 2:25 PM

Have a look at Dave's post at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105806/734770.aspx#734770 and some of the earlier posts in that thread for a recent discussion on this

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS