McGee's Thru the Bible Commentary Version(s)

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9040
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:03 PM

Steve, take a look at this post.

The first resource is no longer being sold. It was a single volume edition of the commentary that was itself a compilation of the five volume set that was produced after the 60 volumes had been released.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:16 PM

Mark Smith:

Steve, take a look at this post.

The first resource is no longer being sold. It was a single volume edition of the commentary that was itself a compilation of the five volume set that was produced after the 60 volumes had been released.

Thanks for the clarification.  It appears the post has changed focus.  I always have appreciated McGee's "Though the Bible" radio broadcast's.  I listened to many broadcasts on my daily drives to-and-from work at the Air Force Base in which I was serving.  He was instrumental in helping me back to the Catholic (Universal) faith in Christ Jesus.  After many years it was McGee who reinforced what I had been taught all along in CCD.  That, and Chuck Swindoll .. what a great preacher!

Blessings!

Posts 1672
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2015 10:44 AM

David Carter:
Wowsers $360 now. Glad I bought it for 10 bucks a couple of years back

Yep, I too got that deal. It was from the late, lamented, and much missed Rejoice Software. They used to send e-mails about once a week. I got some nice deals from them. 

It could still be available in that Nelson eBible form somewhere, although I don't remember if I had to load it into L3 first to get the license recognized.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2015 10:03 PM

Gabe Martini:

Mark Smith:

Gabe Martini:
We should've sent an email to those that owned the older edition. I'll check to see if that somehow didn't make it out, and ensure that it does.

Since many of us might choose to hide these new volumes to prevent further clutter of our library, that option might be mentioned in whatever email goes out: "If you don't want to see these volumes you can hide them by using CTRL/CMD-right click and choosing "Hide this resource" in Library. You will still retain your license for these volumes if you do so."

That's a great idea, thanks.

Gabi and Mark,

Just a thought ... Should we hide the Single Volume vs Hiding the 60 Volumes? 

See the discussion here https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113170.aspx Thru the Bible Commentary is listed as having been (or to be) annotated for the Bible Book Guide Dataset.

Considering that the 5 Volume (Single Resource) version will not be sold any more, I would think that Logos would only "update" / "tag" /  "refer to" the 60 Volume (60 Resources) version.

PS: I would prefer to follow Mark's recommendation to hide the 60 Volume Version to reduce cluttering :-)

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:45 AM

Take a look at the new Bible Guide Book Dataset Documentation. Logos has removed the Single Resource Version and instead use the 60 Volume Version.

Sounds like we might not want to hide the 60 Volume Version.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 260
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 2:07 PM

Just checked my library and I am showing BOTH the single resource and the 60 volumes. Personally, I am glad that Logos made this move to ensure that we received dynamic pricing for it.

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2015 1:17 AM

Hi Gabe, I'm a bit late to this party, but I have the old single volume resource and was hoping I could get the multi-volume resource unlocked too. (I don't know how to hyper-link Gabe but I hope he's fleeing this thread.) Many thanks, Colin.  

Posts 24454
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2015 3:56 AM

Colin Burcombe:
I have the old single volume resource and was hoping I could get the multi-volume resource unlocked too.

Just contact Faithlife Customer Service as you should have the mutli-volume resource.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24454
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2015 4:01 AM

Gabe Martini (Faithlife):
we decided to retire the single resource, older version (in our format), and maintain the multi-resource edition.

One question I had meant to ask is why is the multi-volume set is in the old Libronix format? I hope it will be converted to Logos 4 format.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2015 4:20 AM

Smile

Thanks Dave but I tried that! I  emailed with an explanation and a link to this thread. I got no reply.  3 weeks later I emailed again and got an auto-response saying they would look into it but that was a couple of weeks ago. So I thought I'd contact Gabe here because everything I've seen of him in these forums shows me he's a guy who gets things done. 

Colin

Posts 743
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 2:28 PM

Colin Burcombe:

Hi Gabe, I'm a bit late to this party, but I have the old single volume resource and was hoping I could get the multi-volume resource unlocked too. (I don't know how to hyper-link Gabe but I hope he's fleeing this thread.) Many thanks, Colin.  

I'm in the same boat.  I own the single volume and did not get the multi-volume set.  Although, I'm not too concerned.  I kind of like the single volume format.  We had multiple 60 volume sets in paper and wound up giving them away once the 5 volume books were released in the 90's.  So I feel silly chasing after the 60 volume ebook set.

This thread reminded me that the radio program segments can be found for free at a well-known web site.  I have Romans 1 streaming on this computer as I type.

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 3:19 PM

As I understood it:

Thru the Bible Commentary Series (60 vols.) going to this should show a dynamic pricing of 0.00 for owners of the 5 volume in one version. If not this should be reported so it can be fixed. In the same way recently all owners of early church fathers got access to free catholic or free protestant versions depending on which you owned.

Do you not see the discounted price??? (All i see is the full price greyed out since this is what I own)

-dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 3:24 PM

Dan Francis:

As I understood it:

Thru the Bible Commentary Series (60 vols.) going to this should show a dynamic pricing of 0.00 for owners of the 5 volume in one version. If not this should be reported so it can be fixed. In the same way recently all owners of early church fathers got access to free catholic or free protestant versions depending on which you owned.

Do you not see the discounted price??? (All i see is the full price greyed out since this is what I own)

-dan

Too bad I paid for both sets of McGee and both sets of ECF. Sad 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 4:51 PM

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for commenting. It says $379.95 for me. I'm hoping someone from Faithlife will sort this out soon.

Colin

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 6:24 PM

This is a slightly different situation from the Schaff set(s) since we're not talking about Public Domain material. However, I'll investigate a solution and report back soon.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2015 9:25 PM

EDIT: Please disregard. I found the answer through a forum search. Don't know how I missed this.

Dan Francis:

As I understood it:

-dan

Hi Dan;

This is OT, but concerning the Early Church Fathers, if you get the version that you don't have, will both be in your library for comparison?

Thanks.

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 2:36 AM

Thanks, Gabe, for looking into this. I had assumed (from your comment on page 1 of this thread) that I had just missed out on something which was offered to all who had the five-volumes-in-one edition. Like many others, I am grateful to you for resolving the ECF anomaly but I understand that this is a different situation.

Colin   

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 7:29 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

EDIT: Please disregard. I found the answer through a forum search. Don't know how I missed this.

Dan Francis:

As I understood it:

-dan

Hi Dan;

This is OT, but concerning the Early Church Fathers, if you get the version that you don't have, will both be in your library for comparison?

Thanks.

yes but I have not compared them, I have heard the difference is not in the translations themselves but in the notes and introductions. A sign of the times they were done in has some very anti Catholic notes and such which were removed or changed to make a version salable to Catholics. 

Dan

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 8:10 AM

Dan Francis:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Dan Francis:

As I understood it:

-dan

Hi Dan;

Thanks.

yes but I have not compared them, I have heard the difference is not in the translations themselves but in the notes and introductions. A sign of the times they were done in has some very anti Catholic notes and such which were removed or changed to make a version salable to Catholics. 

Dan

Thanks Dan;

Understood. I remember asking myself "What could be the big difference between two sets that are supposedly to be the same?". The Logos description states that the only difference is in the front matter. I won't put a lot of time into it, but now we are able to actually see the differences. Purchasing both sets would not have been worth it for the matter of just comparing, but since the other is free, we can do that. I briefly compared the TOC of the two last night, and found that the Catholic version does not have a preface. There are probably some other differences, but I didn't really go into it.

Thanks again. Smile

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS