Erroneous verse count in graph - non-integral numbers in Excel for verse count

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18
Wayne Quernemoen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:36 AM

The attachments (screen shots) explain a problem encountered in searching the ESV for occurences of the word "resurrection".  The first screen shot below shows how the search was done...no errors there (the display shown is just a part of the actual response given in L4):

As can be seen, the graph below does not indicate integral numbers, nor is the count correct even if rounded to the nearest integral number in some of the cases.  For example, in Matthew 22, there are actually four verses found...the graph indicates about 8.7 verses, as does the Excel table this function generates.  Thank you for looking into this.

Wayne Quernemoen

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:46 AM

The 8.69 is not verses in that graph, it's Number of Hits in Mt 22 divided by Number of verses on Mt 22.  That said, the number 8.69 doesn't make any sense there either. There are 4 hits, and Mt 22 has 46 verses.

Posts 18
Wayne Quernemoen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:17 PM

Yes, I see that now.  We are really looking at the density of the word "resurrection", if density as such is meaningful.  My aging eyeballs missed the division symbol in the Excel graph!

As to the actual number derived in Excel, it appears that 10^-2 should be multiplied times the answer.  The answer for Matthew 27, where two hits are listed is incorrect and the graph supports this conclusion by indicating a repeating number of 1.51515..., that number multiplied by 10 to the minus 2, which simply is 1/66, which is the correct ratio.  The graph is really intended to show % and not a simple ratio.

Thanks for your help iin deciphering this.

Wayne Quernemoen

Posts 141
Ken Guenther | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:32 PM

8.69 is a percentage.   8.69% of the verses in Matt 22 have the word "resurrection" in it.    I think this should be labelled as a percentage, and hopefully in the future, this change will be made.   As I stated in another post , the problem is also that there is an error in the label.   The figure does not represent the number of hits in the chapter divided by the number of verses in the chapter, but rather the number of verses with hits in the chapter divided by the number of verses in the chapter.    Libronix returns the same figures but labels it correctly.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS