Please complete the implementation of personal books

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 30 2015 6:37 AM

1. By having a size limit on personal books that can be uploaded, in effect there is no complete way to maintain ALL books synchronized across devices. I understand that you need to make sure people don't go crazy with size usage, I have two PBs over 100MB (one is a Bible). I don't know of ANY cloud storage option that just flatly refuses to support files of a particular size - maybe you could charge a nominal amount for more space like they do? Until this is remedied, there is no sync option for some users, please consider a change in policy here.

2. Personal books cannot be read on mobile devices, and reading plans using PBs are not supported on mobile devices. Please consider implementing this feature.

3. Please give us a better support for managing PBs on the desktop - many people have more than a hundred PBs, the existing interface does not scale for that (I have 298). It should be much easier to "recompile all", sort the list in various ways to find authors, sort by compile date, select a subset to recompile, select a subset to change the information in a field (like author name), etc.

4. Is there a way to see what has been uploaded? Is there a way to delete an uploaded compiled PB from the Faithlife servers? Is there a way to see the date/time that resources were uploaded to the server, to see if resources uploaded are old? Is there a way to establish an option (at times this may not be good) that a resource should automatically upload when recompiled?

5. Is there a way to delete and remove PB resources from all computers, especially without having to hide/unhide the resource on the 2nd, 3rd, etc. computer to get it to no longer show in the library view?

Please consider an upgrade of PB functionality - more may use it if it was more complete. I know FL uses metrics to see what features are being used a lot, maybe like other features more would use it if it offered more! This would be perfect for one of the point releases of Logos/Verbum 6! Thanks.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 6:41 AM

Don Awalt:
2. Personal books cannot be read on mobile devices, and reading plans using PBs are not supported on mobile devices. Please consider implementing this feature.

All of your suggestions are good ones, however the mobile device capability is the big one for me. This is a feature that FL says they have been working on since the PB feature was introduced in L4. I cannot believe that enabling the mobile apps to read PB files is that complicated.

Posts 1854
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 7:05 AM

Don Awalt:
Please consider an upgrade of PB functionality - more may use it if it was more complete. I know FL uses metrics to see what features are being used a lot, maybe like other features more would use it if it offered more! This would be perfect for one of the point releases of Logos/Verbum 6! Thanks.

Yes (on all points)

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 8:11 AM

I agree with all points.

On (1), I'd like to see the limit removed altogether for Logos Now subscribers.

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 10:08 AM

Fredc:
All of your suggestions are good ones, however the mobile device capability is the big one for me.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 12:12 PM

Yes Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes! This is my #1 most desired feature, and I know it is for many others too.  I hope Faithlife will deliver on this. We have been waiting long enough! Pretty please? Crying

Posts 13
Henry Esqueda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 2:59 PM

The waiting is over due....Ick!

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 3:41 PM

If I am correct, I remember hearing that the cloud storage Logos uses was a third party. Started with an A if I recall. Might be the problem...

Posts 813
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 4:01 PM

Thanks for bringing this up, Don. I'll forward this up the chain. 

On #3, I've got a redesign in mind for the Personal Books tool that looks very much like the Library does now, with the same-ish sortable/filterable views and all the commands and metadata for the selected book shown in an editable "info" sidebar. Hasn't made it to the top of the priority stack yet, though.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 4:55 PM

Eli Evans:
I've got a redesign in mind for the Personal Books tool that looks very much like the Library does now, with the same-ish sortable/filterable views and all the commands and metadata for the selected book shown in an editable "info" sidebar

Sounds like a great update! Hope it makes the climb up the ladder of probabilities.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 3051
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 8:36 PM

Don Awalt:
Please consider an upgrade of PB functionality

Yes

I agree with all these requests.

I would add one more possibility. I'd like to see Logos add a set of macros that they would support for MS Word. These could make prepping PBs easier and keep things compatible. (This might be too far outside the pale for FL, and I understand, but if it is doable, it would be helpful.)

And I suppose I would add that a converter, to allow PDF files to be converted to PBs within Logos rather than separate steps, would make me drool on my keyboard.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5576
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 8:45 PM

Eli Evans:

Thanks for bringing this up, Don. I'll forward this up the chain. 

On #3, I've got a redesign in mind for the Personal Books tool that looks very much like the Library does now, with the same-ish sortable/filterable views and all the commands and metadata for the selected book shown in an editable "info" sidebar. Hasn't made it to the top of the priority stack yet, though.

As I was reading Don's suggestions I was thinking we need to be able to possibly do some of these functions from the library interface so I like this idea very much Eli

Posts 5576
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 8:55 PM

Mark Barnes:

I think this is a good starting point.  It provides a way for Logos test the waters of the impact with a subset of their users and increases the value of a Logos Now subscription for those who are on the borderline of whether or not to take up the option.  When Personal Books were first released in the Libronix days users had to pay for the add-in and then pay a yearly licensing fee to continue using the tool.  As a consumer I wish it were free for all but at some point someone has to pay and incorporating it in the cost of a Logos Now subscription makes sense.  The alternative might be to simply make everyone pay by adding an extra charge into the software cost every time there is a new major version but from a business sense having regular cash flow is probably more beneficial than a large lump sum once every two years.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 7:34 AM

Doc B:
And I suppose I would add that a converter, to allow PDF files to be converted to PBs within Logos rather than separate steps, would make me drool on my keyboard.

If we're dreaming Big Smile...

1. OCR functionality in the PDF-to-PB converter, with manual edit available to correct the inevitable OCR errors before final compiling.
  2. ePub-to-PB likewise.
Posts 1854
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 7:36 PM

Eli Evans:

Eli:

I hope your idea gets traction.

Speaking of Personal Book metadata and some re-configuring of the PB interface, please consider an auto-populating "existing author" drop-down for entering PB authors. It would help us keep middle initials and juniors, accents, etc, uniform in our libraries. This idea is detailed in this Suggestion post, which didn't receive a nay, yea, or get lost from FL:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/98631/733795.aspx 

Thanks.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 8:40 PM

Mark Barnes:

I agree with all points.

I would be willing to pay a nominal yearly fee for additional storage, although the sum total of my compiled PBs (298 of them) is 1.19 GB, and most (Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, etc.) give more than that for free. If Faithlife is worried about users going crazy with compiled PBs maybe instead of a per file limit there is an aggregate of all PBs limit per user. 

Posts 6
Jim Cross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 1:51 PM

I would like to add my voice into the Personal Books on mobile devices option. This would allow me to edit and review personal work at any location. 

Posts 9
Bob Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 9:56 AM

Please implement support for reading personal books on mobile devices. I do a lot of reading on my tablet device and this would be invaluable.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 12:52 PM

It is not sure if this will ever be implement into the mobile devices. Bob talked about liability with copyright since they would be hosting potential violations. Other software like Accordance syncs personal books not through servers but through dropbox. Meaning you as person who has produced it are solely responsible. Where as FL would be responsible for it residing on their servers. They may come up with a way for it to work but I would suspect we will get more simple offline support before personal book items are mobile accessible (but anything is possible I guess).

-Dan

Posts 607
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2016 1:30 PM

Dan Francis:
It is not sure if this will ever be implement into the mobile devices. Bob talked about liability with copyright since they would be hosting potential violations.

But, they are already "hosting" our PB between desktop installations.  My PB that is on my home computer, when I uploaded it, appeared on my office computer.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS