How do I efficiently compare my digital and print libraries.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:52 AM

I am looking for a way to compare my digital and print libraries so that I can reduce the number of physical books in my library.

Some of you might be thinking a book case full of books... In truth its more like 5000 titles.

I keep accumulating in both formats (Logos and Dead Tree).

I had an opportunity to get free books from one source (it was nearly unlimited, though sometimes lacking titles that caught my interest. I'd pick up a couple big boxes full, and take them to a book exchange, where I would get 2:1 credit towards new books. Didn't matter what I brought in, or took out - if I brought two books in, I could take one home for free. The exchange boasted that they sold 100,000lbs of books each weekend they were open.

I'd accumulate free books that no one wanted. Take them down, and swap them for commentary sets, books on theology, books by authors I had read, or read about. Books I wanted in Logos but couldn't afford. The only thing they didn't want was the left behind books *chuckle*. I even traded a couple of books that looked to be dated books from iceland on economics. May have been someones highschool mathbooks... For a nicont title... I loved trading up this way. I still have a box of maybe 20-30 duplicates. I need to find a way to (quickly) compare my print library with my digital one so I can further pare down my paper library.

I figure I picked up a couple thousand (maybe 4 or 5) titles free this way in the past two years.

Fortunately, I am not married... I converted a room in my house into a library and I have books stacked floor to ceiling in bookcases that surround my room, and fill the closet. Books in my bedroom, books in my livingroom. Books from bible college, books from seminary, books from my grandmother (she had been a church planter and had a couple commentary sets)... Not to mention books in Logos.

I think I need to stop buying and trading for books for a while.

I have and use Goodreads. But I don't know how to quickly import my logos titles into it. I've imported around a thousand regular books and still have thousands of regular books to go. I'm not excited by the prospect of manually importing another ~13k logos titles, nor do I like the idea of searching one title at a time across my logos library.

So the long and short of it is this: Is goodreads going to be the best tool for this? Is there an easy way to export my logos library titles into some format that goodreads can import (even by way of a third party application, even if it costs a bit)?

Faithlife - it might behoove you to make an app for this. You see, the more books I sell, the more money I have to spend on titles to feed Logos.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2784
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:15 AM

I think that the most laborious part will be getting your print library into some kind of standard database format, such as SQL. There are several experts or very knowledgeable friends here that may be able to direct or assist you on converting your Logos library into the standard database format. Once the two formats agree and can speak a common language, it will be fairly easy to create comparison reports.

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:16 AM

Interesting predicament.  I'm not sure I can help.  I know that you can export your library to an excel spreadsheet, but I'm not sure how that would interact with goodreads.  If there was a column in the Logos library view for ISBN numbers, that would probably make things easier, but that information does not appear to be there.

I'm interested to see what suggestions you receive. I also have many books.  Probably less than half of what you have, though. I would like to cull the herd a bit, too.

Posts 30645
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:20 AM

If you intent is to keep most of those books, I would suggest a database program of some sort... My personal suggestion? Keep what you think you would use most and donate/sell the rest. 

I am probably like you, except that I am married and my wife puts the brakes on my book purchases. I like print books, but they aren't nearly as useful as books in my Logos library... It is very rare for me to purchase print books now. If for no other reason: If I don't KNOW it's there, it won't get used. I don't have the time or space to organize them, but even if I did it would in no way come close to being able to "accidentally" discover a book in Logos. 

I just sold and donated hundreds of books. I spent hours 1) checking against my Logos library, 2) Deciding if I wanted to donate or sell and 3) looking up prices online. As we are hopefully making a move across town sometime this month, I didn't want to move them AGAIN for them to sit for another decade (or more)... Now to do the same with my movie collection... 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1127
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:22 AM

Hi 

I guess you do keep a good inventory of all the Dead Tree. If not I would put somework into a good system.

Couldn't you look into collections or maybe ask Logos for a list of all resources to date and then sort it using Excel or Numbers?

Lee

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:30 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

I think that the most laborious part will be getting your print library into some kind of standard database format, such as SQL. There are several experts or very knowledgeable friends here that may be able to direct or assist you on converting your Logos library into the standard database format. Once the two formats agree and can speak a common language, it will be fairly easy to create comparison reports.

Indeed - thats why I was thinking Goodreads. Their database is extensive, it automatically imported hundreds of books I've bought through them, and there is a isbn scanner for quickly adding the books I own that were published in the last 20 or 30 years or so (so long as their is a barcode).

The rest I can manually enter.

However (as Joe mentioned) exporting to an excel spreadsheet has challenges of its own.

I've considered calibre - if I can get the titles all into calibre, there is a tool to export x# of titles at once into goodreads, and others for completing incomplete metadata (hopefully this would fill in the isbn).

I'm playing around with this right now, but haven't found something that works quite right yet.

Alabama it was your post in another thread that got me thinking in this direction again. I have entirely too many books. God may have me marry one day, and I suspect whomever she is probably wouldn't like living in a library. Though that really isn't a motivating factor at this point. I want to be a good steward of my resources, and books are resources. They also represent resources that can be recovered, or released to bless other people...

No sense hanging onto 6 copies of Kingdom Matrix :)

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:01 AM
  1. Find a typewriter
  2. Type in names and authors of all books
  3. Cut into strips
  4. Arrange alphabetical order on a table or desk
  5. Compare to list generated by LOGOS
  6. Compare to list generated by other Bible software programs you may use
  7. Give excess print books to deserving seminary student

Big Smile

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:12 AM

Floyd Johnson:

1. Find a typewriter
  2. Type in names and authors of all books
  3. Cut into strips
  4. Arrange alphabetical order on a table or desk
  5. Compare to list generated by LOGOS
  6. Compare to list generated by other Bible software programs you may use
  7. Give excess print books to deserving seminary student

Big Smile

Hmmmm.... *chuckle*

I was hoping for something that would cause fewer paper cuts :):):)

13k books results in about 800 pages of bibliography. Safe to say 5000 books would be in the 350-400 ballpark.

I suppose I could cut down a tree, mill some wood, and process it into paper...

On second thought...

edit: I was able to get all my books into Calibre using a plugin called "import book list". First I went to Logos, created a collection for "full library" with the following rule: Rating:>=0 . Then I created a bibliography, and instead of printing, i used the option "copy to clipboard". This took a relatively long time.

Then I installed the plugin into calibre. The plugin lets you paste from your clipboard and then builds an empty book based upon each entry on my clipboard. Clicked next a bunch of times... Now I'm waiting while it processes 13,000~ titles.

I can export all the books I've scanned into goodreads to a CSV, and then import that into Calibre using the same plugin.

Later I will see if I can find a plugin that will check for duplicates... I bet it exists.

Edit: here is my goodreads profile.

https://www.goodreads.com/jsschrstrcks

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:32 AM

well that caused calibre to crash. Guessing they weren't expecting that massive of an info dump.

May try again but with fewer titles at once.

Posts 318
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:35 AM

I have books in paper, Kindle and Logos format and it is difficult to remember where a given book is.  What I have done is maintain a database on the ios platform.  This involves extracting the lists of books from Logos and Kindle and manually inputting paper books. 

The library app is Book Crawler.  http://www.chiisai.com/j25/

They have a Mac app but I am not familiar with it. 

I focus on the fields of Author, Title, Series, Publisher.  I can also import the tags from Logos as I have tagged each resource.

The process takes a bit of text manipulation to clean up the data and delete fields as you bring in Logos data into the Book Crawler format. 

For Logos, I use the Windows app, Logos Lib Reporter.  This will take the database and extract it into a format that I can use in Excel. 

For Kindle I found a process to copy the screen showing the list of books and using a text editor and regular expression clean up the data. 

Paper books can be scanned using the isbn code or manually searching with title information.

The hassle is combining all this data into the format that Book Crawler uses, but it is doable.  Once I have it created I can export that database and use that as a base and add new purchases from Logos and Kindle.  Paper books can be scanned in as they come in.

If you want more detail, I could write something up.  It helps me to quickly determine if I have a book and if it is on the shelf or in Logos or Kindle. 

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:40 AM

Definitely! would be quite interested in hearing your method.

In the mean time I'm going to go through my collections (every book in my logos library is in at least one collection) and try using the smaller sets of books and see how well my plan works before I sink a bunch more time into it.

Posts 9816
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 11:50 AM

abondservant:
Fortunately, I am not married... I converted a room in my house into a library and I have books stacked floor to ceiling in bookcases that surround my room, and fill the closet. Books in my bedroom, books in my livingroom. Books from bible college, books from seminary, books from my grandmother (she had been a church planter and had a couple commentary sets)... Not to mention books in Logos.

I can see the advantage of not being married in your case. I'd love to see some photos of your rooms. I can only imagine what they look like. Smile

As I have said in other threads I actually gave away almost 2,000 paper books which have been replaced by Logos. Eventually I'd love to have them all in Logos but I know that this will never been completely an option.

I look forward to hearing more about how you end up handling things.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 12:26 PM

So calibre may not be the answer. At least not directly from Logos into calibre. Logos copies the information to your clipboard one book to one field. The title, author and everything is in the same field.

So when imported into calibre its: "Author, title, book, publisher, place, year" all lumped together in the title field in calibre.

I told it to download the meta data for the books I've imported (~1100) and it took about a half hour. It only found 28 books, and 12 of those (journals as it happens) were wrong.

I'm out of time for now, but I'll revisit this again - perhaps tonight while watching tv.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 12:29 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I can see the advantage of not being married in your case. I'd love to see some photos of your rooms. I can only imagine what they look like. Smile

As I have said in other threads I actually gave away almost 2,000 paper books which have been replaced by Logos. Eventually I'd love to have them all in Logos but I know that this will never been completely an option.

I look forward to hearing more about how you end up handling things.

Haha looks like a mess of books :) But I can take some pictures.

Yeah I would love to be able to bless a seminarian with my excess. I've been blessed on a couple of occassions by others, and quite frequently by the Lord (especially in the realm of books). It would be nice to pass on - even if its just a fraction of my paper book library - some of that blessing!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 12:57 PM

I use LibraryThing. I've entered my print books manually (via the ISBN), and import my Logos books. There's an easy option where you can display your duplicates. They sell very cheap barcode scanners to help you with your print books (or you could import from Goodreads). 

It's not foolproof. In particular, you'll often find that if you have 6 different volumes of a set with a very similar title, they'll appear as duplicates. But it's the quickest way I know.

Importing Logos books into LibraryThing takes a few steps. I can tell you those steps if you're interested.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:50 PM

Yes definitely!

I've encountered issues from Logos -> calibre and from Goodreads -> calibre.

My method isn't going to work like I'd hoped.

Posts 3132
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:54 PM

These first-world problems are tough.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:57 PM

I hear you there Doc B.

Its a blessing to have God's word in our language, much less 12k$ in bible software, and a house too small to contain all my books. Praise God for the time and place He has allowed us to be. We are incredibly blessed and yet we squander so much of it.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 2:19 PM

Kent:

Hmm... So I could spend 300$ (200$ for the kit in the video, and 100$ or so for OCR that that can read jpg's) and in a mere (assuming an average length of 300 pages per book, and assuming I have exactly 3000 titles just to make the math easy) 900 (12 weeks of 40hrs a week book scanning) hours I could have ALL of my books as .doc files, and could then import them into logos as personal books.

*shudder*

this might be another death by papercut scenario :P

It is pretty awesome, and I DO have a couple books I can't find on amazon that were published long ago... I can see some value in scanning SOME of my books this way.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS