Help: How can I access all the text I highlighted in one specific book?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 3 2015 5:01 PM

It's all in the question...  Confident that highlights are easy to access in L6, I started reading a book, highlighting the parts I needed to summarize it.  I would like to access only the highlighted parts of my text but can't figure out how.

The search option on the Forum brings me to all the highlight bugs...  On the Wiki, I get directed to L5 functions that have changed!

Thanks for your help!

(The solution is probably very simple.  I'm using L6 like my brain: about 10% of its capacity...)  Wink

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 5:33 PM

Sylvio Janelle:
I would like to access only the highlighted parts of my text but can't figure out how.

The best you can do is to open the note document (do you know about those?) and switch to "quotes view." 

This thread may be moved to the L6 forum, where you will get more attention directed towards this issue. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 5:42 PM

You suggest I open a new note document?  I'm not sure I follow you.  

And I don't know how to move my question to a different area of the Forum...

Thanks!

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 6:27 PM

Sylvio Janelle:
You suggest I open a new note document?  I'm not sure I follow you.  

For several years now, highlights are a form of notes. Every highlight is placed into a note document. The default behavior (which is dumb) is for highlights to go into a pallet specific note document. If you use a highlighter from the "solid" palette, your highlight will be in a note document named "solid". 

Since it sounds like you are unfamiliar with this, you should look there first. Personally, I prefer to have resource specific note documents, so I have changed the behavior to send highlights to a note document named after the resource. 

Sylvio Janelle:
And I don't know how to move my question to a different area of the Forum...

A moderator will do that for you.

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:47 AM

So I have opened the Highlight Note.  In "Quote" view, I have bunch of quotes from different books, but not the one I'm working on.  Is there a delay between the time I highlight until the time it shows up in the note?  I wouldn't think so...

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 5:11 PM

Sylvio Janelle:
So I have opened the Highlight Note.

For clarification: You need to open the note document... I assume that is what you mean, but just to make sure. Furthermore, the "correct" note document will be the one (or ones!) named for the palette you used. Some of the default pallets include "solid colors", "emphasis markup," and "highlighter pens." If you didn't change the behavior, all highlights should be in those folders AS LONG AS you took the notes on your computer. If you used mobile, it is possible you have a different behavior set up on those devices. 

Sylvio Janelle:
In "Quote" view, I have bunch of quotes from different books, but not the one I'm working on.

As long as all the above is true, they should be there. What resource are you looking for?

Sylvio Janelle:
Is there a delay between the time I highlight until the time it shows up in the note?

Very minimal... in fact, it may appear there before you actually see the highlight. 

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:02 PM

Sylvio Janelle:
I would like to access only the highlighted parts of my text but can't figure out how.

The Locator Bar will allow a search of all notes and highlighting as follows

Select "Annotation" and use the Up/Down arrows ---> just ignore the notes it finds

You can also search for specific highlights using a Basic Search of the resource as follows:

• {Highlight Style Name}
  • {Highlight Palette Name/Style Name} —> useful if multiple palettes have a style with the same name
  • {Highlight Palette Name/*} —> finds all styles in that palette

e.g.  {Highlight Emphasis Markup/*}   ----> finds all highlighting in the Emphasis Markup palette

{Highlight My Palette/*}   ---> will find all highlighting in your user-defined palette

{Highlight Brackets}  --> finds the Brackets style in Emphasis Markup palette + any other palette.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 33
Sylvio Janelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:18 AM

Alabama, I finally found what I'm looking for by finding "Solid Color" at the bottom of the list in "Documents" - "Notes"!  Thanks!

Dave, there's not such thing as "Annotations" in my book's menu.  The basic search didn't work either.  Thanks for taking the time to write...  

My conclusion is that :

-This aspect of L6 is not user-friendly.

-Nothing is ever lost and can always be found...

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:43 AM

As for the "annotation" button... 

1. You will need to make sure the appropriate bar is showing. I believe it is the locator bar, but I am not near my computer to check. 
  2. The various bars can be turned on in the resource menu (book cover)
  3. It may say something else until you click on it. See dave's screen shot for placement of the bar & button. 

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:47 AM

Oh, to clarify Dave's post slightly... He was showing means and methods to find highlights in a given book in context. It sounded to be like you were wanting all the highlights together, which is what I explained. The tips Dave gave are very helpful to find highlights throughout a book in context or to search the highlights themselves. 

Posts 21925
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:50 AM

alabama24:
You will need to make sure the appropriate bar is showing. I believe it is the locator bar, but I am not near my computer to check. 

It is, indeed, the locator bar

alabama24:
It may say something else until you click on it. See dave's screen shot for placement of the bar & button. 

Yes - and this varies by resource. The example below is for a Bible

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 10:23 AM

Thanks Graham. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS