Rebuilding Logos.com: Give Us Your Ideas

Page 3 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 93 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1656
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:33 AM

Phil Gons:
I think you'll find the new site much more visually appealing than the current one.

Please just make sure we can see the color contrasts (as in L4 Mac vs. L4 PC).

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 12:26 PM

Make it iPhone friendly, including posting in the forums.

(Brief post because I'm on an iPhone)

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 12:32 PM

This may have already been suggested, but I am in a hurry at the moment.  I have read that some are annoyed that Logos Support Techs have suggested people review the forums before asking questions or expecting Logos Support to help.

I have read this type of suggestion as well.

I would suggest that the Support and Training areas be so well organized and populated with official and timely information from Logos Support that a direction to the forums is rarely, if ever, suggested by Logos Support.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:04 PM

What would I like to see different......

• Under "My Orders" I would like to see "Order History" and "Pre-pub Orders" be able to load much more quickly
  • On the "Order History" page I would like to see items under "Order Summary" linked to the respective product pages (as they currently are in "My PrePubs") [I often cannot remember which titles came in which collection, and I may be working on someone elses computer]
  • Would like to be able to place orders (including pre-pubs and community pricing) as gifts to other users, without having to go to excessive lengths for each title to confirm for whom I am by it (similar to how I can specify a group of friends/family members for whom I regularly buy airline tickets, on the Air Canada web site) - AND be assured that they do not have the title or collection already, either directly or if not yet published as a pre-pub ordered by someone else [that way for example, several different people could gift titles / pre-pubs to a pastor or student]
  • For those who do not currently live where they have direct internet access - have it possible for them to designate someone who could download new content, updates and new purchases for them and burn them on a CD  (or put on a memory stick) so they could get them that way - thinking of a friend who as a missionary had to drive two hours to the nearest town with an internet access point - they could bring a memory stick with them but travelling with a laptop was not practical.
  • Products pages: improved search capability and a more intuitive ability to search by author, publisher and type of resource/topic [eg: what books do you have on John's Gospel, without pulling up 1022 hits on John which are mainly titles by or about MacArthur, Bunyan, Piper or Calvin
  • A less lengthy and easier to load Pre-pubs page which can produce a credible list in a reasonable time for a dial up connection [for the parts of the world where high speed is not an option]
  • Every technique you can think of to ensure we do not purchase duplicate licenses for what we already have - and use the same concept to offer tailored discounts for collections and groupings which include titles we already have [so that we can subsequently be pursuaded to upgrade to more complete/comprehensive collections, some of which are not offered until after we already have one or more of the included titles] 
  • the ability to "loan" titles from our collection or even permanently transfer titles to others based on the number of licenses we already own for a product {especially the ones where we have already indvertently purchased duplicates and hence have potentially several licensed copies to loan or give away} [need a way so as many of us as want to could do this without overloading the Customer Service phone lines]
Posts 1656
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:36 PM

Chris Farwell:

Make it iPhone friendly, including posting in the forums.

Yes, mobile-friendly for forum reading (at least) and posting (if possible), for those of us who check the forums several times a day :)

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 4:32 PM

Each book/group of books (for series and such) should indicate which packages include it. I'd also like to see more and larger quality page examples from each book.

I'd also really like to see an interactive feature in which you check the books you want, and it tells you the cheapest and/or most comprehensive package that includes them, or if they're not included in any packages.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:19 PM

I'd like to see a community aspect where we can recommend books and even review them. If you are concerned about negative reviews maybe it could be focused on "what's good about this book" so that it is all positive. Books with less positive will clearly not be as good as those with lots of positive. So maybe a thumbs up raiting with a comments section to say why you are giving it one.

Second, a way to quickly see what I don't have and how much it would cost to upgrade.

third, mobile friendly site/forums. Even include this in the iPhone app. I could buy books from my mobile/iphone.

Finally, an Amazon style wishlist.

Posts 3
Eric Hillegas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:33 PM

WISH LIST tab on My Accounts page (especially for us Logos newbies building our libraries)

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 7:49 AM

Phil, I echo many comments here, and I know you have your notebook--and have even acknowledged the need for some of these suggestions on past threads. 

Here is an idea that I haven't seen, at least relating to Logos.com improvements.  A few recent threads got me thinking about this:  Create a Logos History page.  Show the old buildings, Bob in black, horn rimmed glasses and a thin black tie, etc.  Show screen shots of old programs, packaging.  Highlight (and this benefits your customers of today) your "free upgrades forever" promise, showing how that is still in place 2 centuries later (roughly speaking).  Add a fun timeline like: Salsa contest commenced, coffee machine upgraded, Joe Miller became employee and head of both Apple Alpha (now Alpha 39), and the Anger Management division (watch out, infidels!Stick out tongue), etc.

Put up a webcam where we can see you all in the hallway, 24/7.  Etc.  Life at logos, past, present, and future.

There. Some ideas.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1
Dr Larry E Rogers Sr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:19 AM

I would like to see an "Update" place on the home page where we could easily go to when we receive updates.  What good is an update if you don't know what the new features are available to use?

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:22 AM

It should start with all the information that's on the http://www.logos.com/products page.

You don't need THAT LARGE of an advertisement for the Logos4 Demo. Whatever you do - don't be trendy and don't have a bunch of things moving and flashing and spinning trying to get your attention.

Itshould be easy to FIND the forums, blog & wiki

One thing that really really bugs me is when I cant get a web page's font to increase in size when I change the font size on my browser. Hint Hint

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:36 AM

Another thing I would like to see is better discriptions of resources. Looking at all the puritan resources discriptions you would think they are all the same. What is the DIFFERENCE between Owens, Baxter, Sibbes, Goodwin, etc might help a bit

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:17 AM

On the individual book information sales pages, if the book is part of a package show which ones they are included in. For example http://www.logos.com/products/details/2603  Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (8 Vols.) is included in the Platinum and Portfolio Collections.
Show on the individual book pages if the logged in viewer already has the item in their library.

For upgrading...show all the books that we have in our library not just the difference between the two packages. In other words if package A doesn't have a title that package B includes, but we have purchased it outside of package A, it is a resource that we already have (unless of course we can sell it, then it doesn't matter). This would allow us to see exactly how many new resources that we will actually be gaining.

Also in the upgrade section the "recommended add on products" should only show what we do not already have in our library. Current mine is showing several that I have already purchased.

It would also be nice to know an approximate guess (nothing to hold you to) as to when a prepub will actually be finished if it is in the "under development" stage. This would help alot. 

Thanks for asking!

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:37 AM

On the PrePub pages make a sort available based on the price difference between the PrePub price and the MSRP. So we can see where the biggest PrePub discounts are hiding. Also making it evident which PrePubs we can wait to get till they actually become available for those where there isn't any difference between the PrePub price and the MSRP.  Also an option for the discount percentage difference the PrePub price is from the Logos price. Doing just this will not let us filter out books where the MSRP and the Logos price and the PrePub price are the same all across the columns. As a PrePub fan, I would like to be able to see where the BIGGEST PrePub savings are! When something is tremendously discounted I am more likely to pick it up if I am even remotely interested in it. With all the PrePub additions that are at MSRP, it is getting very hard to really see the great deals and everyone is missing out.

Also enabling us to sort books (including PrePubs) by publisher would help.

Thanks!

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 2:31 PM

Thomas Black:
  • I know you're going to be tempted to make it graphical and heavy with flash and all that yuck.... don't.  Make it light.  Design it for information, not pizazz.  If you start with an information focus rather than a pizazz focus you can add pizazz later.  If you start with pizazz first you may never get the information in.

+1 Yes

Yes, avoid having it be too full of whizzy flashy stuff that's there just for show and slows the thing down. For example, don't do it like this: http://evangelcathedral.net/welcome.htm ("come back each day for our daily manna" -- hmmm.... better have a fast Internet connection if you're going to do that, and wear your sunglasses to shield your eyes from all that glitz!)

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 9:17 PM

Suggestions:

1. Imagine who's visiting, and design for them.
    Top of home page should include a description for people who know nothing about Logos.
    It's no longer just 'Bible Software', so perhaps:
        The best choice of Christian ebooks you can buy. For PC, Mac, or iPhone.
        Value packages and individual titles for casual readers, Bible students, and academic researchers.
  2. For pages on individual resources: ensure they call contain author/ed, publisher, year, and page count. (Most newer ones do.)
  3. Search is crucial: you're building credibility if users can find relevant resources. (Keep it up: I can usually find what I want.)
  4. Keep it simple & fast: Again, this is what your users want (as distinct from something like Glo.) Pre-pub is the page that's currently overloaded.
Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 2:42 AM

The Support page needs a little creative intervention. In particular "recent issues" needs to be populated with more of the difficult issues that have arisen.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:26 AM

I am one of those fortunate logos users who currently has the right to an academic discount .... however, the academic price page leaves quite a lot to be desired.

First, it can be jolly hard to find ... if not impossible ... navigate around the Logos site how you will, or search on what you will, it doesn't "come-up"

Second, the names on the products are not links to the product description page - hence making an "oh, I wonder if I'm interested in that?" query a pain to answer.

Third, I'm never sure if there is supposed to be academic discounts on all resources that could be of academic interest .... or only on those listed on the page. There is no discussion of what is on the page in the forums, or on when anything new is added.

I think I would like to get at the academic prices in two ways ... one through a page very like the present one, only with links to the product pages; and second, a link from (or a line in the pricing box on) the product page itself.

Having said that .... the current set-up has worked well enough to succeed in parting me from a lot of my money .... so it can't be that bad!

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:59 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thomas Black:

• I know you're going to be tempted to make it graphical and heavy with flash and all that yuck.... don't.  Make it light.  Design it for information, not pizazz.  If you start with an information focus rather than a pizazz focus you can add pizazz later.  If you start with pizazz first you may never get the information in.

+1 Yes

Yes, avoid having it be too full of whizzy flashy stuff that's there just for show and slows the thing down. For example, don't do it like this: http://evangelcathedral.net/welcome.htm ("come back each day for our daily manna" -- hmmm.... better have a fast Internet connection if you're going to do that, and wear your sunglasses to shield your eyes from all that glitz!)

I AGREE ABSOLUTELY WITH THIS !! Make it as simple as can be for the front pages and the more shiny stuff behind it. Something like this: http://nos.nl (dutch, but that doesn't matter, just for the look of it)

Luuk

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 9:06 AM

I second, third, and fourth the various requests for making it easier to search and browse the resource catalog and making it easier to discover new resources that would interest me.  There is no easy way to do this now.  You basically have to go through the catalog item by item and research each book/set/collection on Google to find out what type of resource it is (theology, denomination, how technical it is [scholarly, "pastorly", "layperson-ly"], etc)

I made a thread about this in the suggestions forum...please check it out here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10058.aspx

Page 3 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS