Ancient Literature guide is hit and miss?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1667
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 3 2015 9:26 PM

I’m having difficulty in making sense of the Ancient Literature section of the Passage Guide in Logos 6.

I was looking for ancient references to Psalm 68:18.

Under the Ancient Near-Eastern Material section, are two references. The first is a bit tenuous, but the second one (RSP 3, 3 §1.zz) is a referenced to a different Psalm (Psa 89:6-19).

Under Judaica, it offers 4 quotations. The first and last are correct. The second is a quote of the following verse (Psa 68:19 in our English Bibles). The third is to “m. Sabb. 24:5 F” which doesn’t seem to have any connection at all.

Am I missing something here, or is this tool not as accurate as it could be?

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:27 AM

Allen Browne:

I’m having difficulty in making sense of the Ancient Literature section of the Passage Guide in Logos 6.

I was looking for ancient references to Psalm 68:18.

Under the Ancient Near-Eastern Material section, are two references. The first is a bit tenuous, but the second one (RSP 3, 3 §1.zz) is a referenced to a different Psalm (Psa 89:6-19).

Under Judaica, it offers 4 quotations. The first and last are correct. The second is a quote of the following verse (Psa 68:19 in our English Bibles). The third is to “m. Sabb. 24:5 F” which doesn’t seem to have any connection at all.

Am I missing something here, or is this tool not as accurate as it could be?

I'm no expert but I'll give my 2 cents.

I think the listing for RSP 3, 3 §1.zz Psa 89:6-19 comes up because there are "Parallels" or  similar word/vocabulary use since it is under the "Topical" listing.

As far as the third ref to the Mishnah "Appointed Times" section....I'm clueless.

Here is a L6 video sort of explaining Ancient Literature section: https://youtu.be/bgDlK1E5ezA

and a quick overview of it provide by Logos employee Jonathan Watson: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92639/642958.aspx#642958

Hopefully these will help or someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in. :)

Posts 1349
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:06 AM

Hi Allen.

Ancient Literature analyzes a bunch of sources to determine possible references between canonical* material and other ancient literature. The underlying dataset currently has around 260,000 references. A large chunk of these have been reviewed and categorized manually, but an even larger chunk was categorized in an automated fashion. Judaica and Ancient Near-Eastern Material are two that were categorized in an automated fashion.

The underlying data and some more information about the dataset is discussed in the Ancient Literature Documentation resource, which you should have in your library.

*canonical: Meaning literature that at least one mainstream tradition considers as canonical in some degree. This includes the material referred to as "apocrypha" by other traditions.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1667
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 4:12 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Judaica and Ancient Near-Eastern Material are two that were categorized in an automated fashion.

Thanks for your reply, Rick.

I guess that that makes sense of what I'm seeing. It does make the tool less useful for me than I'd hoped, but it still has value: I just have to sort the wheat from the chaff each time.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS