Posts 23645
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 2:23 PM

Persist

Until

Something

Happens

that something being crossing the line!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4458
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2016 10:32 AM

BUMP... We need a lot of movement to get this fine work into Logos.

Four reasons to get the NJB complete.

1) The NJB is quite simply a literary masterpiece. It communicates the Bible in a way that is hard to explain I remember one protestant minster telling me back in the early 90's that it was the most accurate translation since the KJV... Now one can take that statement as you will, but the truth of the matter is the quality of the translation and poetic stylings make this a work that speaks to ones soul. Without the notes you are left with singing and no music. The notes explain things give valuable references.

2) The notes indeed the entire project was done primarily by scholars living in the Holy Land at the École Bibliotech living there offers them insights that can easily be missed by those from away.

3)This work is widely respected not only by Roman Catholics but also many protestant bodies and even in non-religious circles as a good Bible to study and use for reference.

4)While used by many it is written from a catholic perspective although very little dogma ever makes it into the notes, the authors took seriously the wider canon and refer to it. For example quite often Paul's virtual quoting of the wisdom of solomon is over looked. The NJB notes do make note of this... That is not to try to say Paul believed Wis. to be scripture but it is nice to see where some of his quotations are coming from. 

The lack of this full edition in Logos feels much like an orchestra missing a violin. Logos functions well without it but there is definitely something missing, please consider getting it, it may be the best $16 you have spent to expand the breadth of your logos library. If you are protestant if gives you a solid look into catholic scholarship, if you are RC is gives you one of the finest study Bibles the Catholic Church has ever produced. Thank you for your time and please have a blessed advent season.

-Dan

Posts 170
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 3:15 PM

Dan Francis:

BUMP... We need a lot of movement to get this fine work into Logos.

Four reasons to get the NJB complete.

1) The NJB is quite simply a literary masterpiece. It communicates the Bible in a way that is hard to explain I remember one protestant minster telling me back in the early 90's that it was the most accurate translation since the KJV... Now one can take that statement as you will, but the truth of the matter is the quality of the translation and poetic stylings make this a work that speaks to ones soul. Without the notes you are left with singing and no music. The notes explain things give valuable references.

2) The notes indeed the entire project was done primarily by scholars living in the Holy Land at the École Bibliotech living there offers them insights that can easily be missed by those from away.

3)This work is widely respected not only by Roman Catholics but also many protestant bodies and even in non-religious circles as a good Bible to study and use for reference.

4)While used by many it is written from a catholic perspective although very little dogma ever makes it into the notes, the authors took seriously the wider canon and refer to it. For example quite often Paul's virtual quoting of the wisdom of solomon is over looked. The NJB notes do make note of this... That is not to try to say Paul believed Wis. to be scripture but it is nice to see where some of his quotations are coming from. 

The lack of this full edition in Logos feels much like an orchestra missing a violin. Logos functions well without it but there is definitely something missing, please consider getting it, it may be the best $16 you have spent to expand the breadth of your logos library. If you are protestant if gives you a solid look into catholic scholarship, if you are RC is gives you one of the finest study Bibles the Catholic Church has ever produced. Thank you for your time and please have a blessed advent season.

-Dan

⇧⇧⇧ What Dan said!  ⇧⇧⇧

Posts 856
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 10:19 AM

PUSH

P A

Posts 1083
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 10:40 AM

Maybe should try prayer? My prayers normally fail, but might be worth trying? Smile 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 856
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 10:59 AM

Pray

Until

Something

Happens

Posts 8250
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 11:47 AM

Well, P A, NJB w/Notes is probably the only Bible prepub that's pretty mainstream, still out there.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=bible&Status=Pre-Pub&Resource+Type=Bibles 

Now, horserace-wise, the Orthodox is pulling ahead. But it has the advantage of decent pricing. And oddly, Jefferson's already in the printshop, and missing bunches of verses. Indeed, the irony is that pretty unquotable Bibles are having better luck, than NJB /Notes.

I think NJB /Notes is in an impossible position. Can't raise the price, or the needed price will be higher than the eventual sell-price.  So, it's pretty much waiting for the pre-pubber-cutter's axe.

I notice, too, the Korean, South African and Russian may run into similar issues (pre-pub price vs demand).

In addition to NJB /Notes, I'm curious about the New Cambridge (with original notes), and the 'Family 35' (I wonder if that one had special Holy Spirit help, but nobody knew).

Posts 532
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 12:00 PM

Denise:

... I think NJB /Notes is in an impossible position.

Yikes ....  Are you trying to cheer us up this year ... perhaps next?

Posts 856
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 7:50 AM

bump

Happy New YearParty!!!

P A

Posts 83
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 8:25 AM

Bump, the sequel!

Posts 26
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2016 8:56 PM

You holding out is keeping this from going to publication!

Just kidding! Smile

I preordered this a little more than a year ago, and the progress has been agonizingly slow. Geeked

Happy New Year, and many blessings!

Posts 856
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2017 5:41 AM

bumo

Posts 856
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 8:44 AM

NUDGE

Posts 1083
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 10:19 AM

Now it looks like the red bar is 65%. A month ago it was 62%. With this speed it ill take 11 months to the start of "under construction".

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 7
F. Kelly Dougherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 6:48 AM

Nudge

Posts 170
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 11:04 AM

I cannot understand why Faithlife doesn't simply include this very important academic bible resource in its program? If Logos/Verbum is supposed to be the premier biblical study tool, it needs to have this resource available for purchase. It makes total sense from a Marketing positioning perspective.

We shouldn't have to beg to see this resource included in the product for sale. IMHO.

Agape,

Steve

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.