Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4
Ruben Zartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 7 2015 5:52 PM | Locked

Is there a way to export a list of the vocabulary in a given passage?  

Say you were reading through Joshua in Hebrew.  If you could glance at a last of the words in chapter 7 that occur less than 50 times in the Hebrew Bible as a whole and see their definitions, maybe when reading you wouldn't need to use a lexicon quite as much.  

Thanks!

Posts 126
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2015 6:18 PM | Locked

Ooo: so one could create dynamic "Reader's" Hebrew Bibles and "Reader's" GNTs.

Creative idea! I'd also like to see that : )

Posts 4
Ruben Zartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2015 8:52 PM | Locked

Precisely!  Customized to one's own level of knowledge.

Posts 126
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2015 7:37 PM | Locked

For starters, how about this:https://community.logos.com/forums/t/107134.aspx ?

It is for Greek, but I presume it could be adapted to Hebrew, no?

Posts 12706
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 12:11 AM | Locked

Ruben Zartman:
Is there a way to export a list of the vocabulary in a given passage?  

Sure you can. You can do this using the Word List tool on the Documents menu.

It's harder to limit it to only those lemmas occurring a certain number of times, but that's possible to. To do so:

1. Create a word list for the entire Hebrew Bible, and save it.
  2. Create a copy of that word list (you can do that at https://documents.logos.com/).
  3. Sort your copy in Count order.
  4. Delete all the lemmas that have too few occurrences (you can click on the first, then shift+click on the last, then press delete).
  5. Rename that document to something like "Hebrew Bible - 50+ occurrences", for future reference.
  6. Merge that document with your Joshua 7 document, choosing Intersection as your option. That has the effect of only retaining words that are in both documents (i.e. words with more than 50 occurrences overall).

PS - If you are a Logos Now subscriber, you can also use the Concordance Tool, but you don't have quite so much control.

PPS - If you're wanting to learn vocabulary, there's a nice flashcards feature in the Word List tool. Click on Cards in the top right to see it.

Posts 4
Ruben Zartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2015 4:45 PM | Locked

Thanks, Mark!  I appreciate the detailed instructions.  So far the "Hebrew Bible" document manages to make me crash every time, but I can see that this could work.

Posts 12706
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2015 5:49 PM | Locked

Ruben Zartman:

Thanks, Mark!  I appreciate the detailed instructions.  So far the "Hebrew Bible" document manages to make me crash every time, but I can see that this could work.

If you join this Faithlife group (https://faithlife.com/word-lists-for-flashcards/), and then go to its Documents tab, and search for the word entire you should see a few word lists for NT and OT. If you click on Actions and then Copy, it will copy the Word list to your Logos account. Next time you sync your desktop software it should download the word list, hopefully without causing a crash. (The crash is probably due to running out of memory whilst it's trying to process such a large range.)

The alternative would be adding Bible passages to your Word List in stages, perhaps (Gen-Josh, Judges-2 Kings, Isa-Mal, Psalms- 2Chr), for example.

Posts 4
Ruben Zartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2015 7:31 AM | Locked

Thanks, Mark!  That did solve the problem, and should be a wonderful help.

Posts 136
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2015 9:20 AM | Locked

Thanks Mark!

Now: I am reading Genesis and have a word list compiled. But - is there any way to mark words that I don't know, for later review?

Posts 12706
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2015 9:45 AM | Locked

Gary Shogren:
But - is there any way to mark words that I don't know, for later review?

As far as I know you can only do this through the Flashcards app for iOS and Android: https://blog.logos.com/2014/03/new-free-greek-and-hebrew-flashcard-app/ 

The alternative would be to delete words you do know (or create a copy of the list, then delete from the copy).

Posts 126
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2015 7:18 AM | Locked

Pete De Bonte:
Ooo: so one could create dynamic "Reader's" Hebrew Bibles and "Reader's" GNTs. Creative idea! I'd also like to see that : )

I recently noticed a forum post about a "Reader's Edition" feature added in Logos Now.  Unfortunately, that means it is by subscription only, but at least now it exists: shrug.

Posts 136
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 2:24 PM | Locked

Greetings! In an old Libronix help file, it said that I could download vocabulary cards from various grammars. I would like to use the Greenspahn Aramaic list, but cannot seem to find how to do it in Logos 7.

Posts 9270
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 2:16 AM | Locked

Gary Shogren:

Greetings! In an old Libronix help file, it said that I could download vocabulary cards from various grammars. I would like to use the Greenspahn Aramaic list, but cannot seem to find how to do it in Logos 7.

Gary,

there is a way to import those, but most probably this has been done already for all of those that were made available in Libronix' days. Are you still a member of the group Mark referred to above, https://faithlife.com/word-lists-for-flashcards/activity ? 

It seems, the list you are looking for is available: Go to the Documents tab of the group (members only!) and search for it, then use Actions/Copy to get your own version of the list into Logos 7  

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 126
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 6:12 AM | Locked

The OP was requesting a feature that now exists:

https://www.logos.com/product/55916/readers-edition-interlinear

Gary: I'm glad NB.Mick was able to help you, but it's better to create new threads for new topics, e.g. select the Logos 7 forum and click "Write a New Post" : )

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS