Did anyone really buy the Zondervan/Nelson complete bundle??

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1971
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 8 2015 3:06 AM

It doesn't matter who you are, unless you have a secular job/s.. the price on these things are crazy.

So if you're part of the fortunate group, was it justifiable? was it a really good deal for you?

When I did my math, total cost : total new resources = came out to be around $16-17/book. (not a sale for me)

Posts 3303
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 3:24 AM

I wouldn't even think about it.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 5:19 AM

Not me. Pre-sale I was expecting to purchase the Zondervan bundle, but not the Thomas Nelson bundle. That would 'only' have cost me $900, and would have netted me 58 resources ($15-$16 per resource). But the discount level is not enough to overcome the fact that I don't need these 58 books right away. I'm more than willing to invest in quality materials (and it's a good bundle). But if Faithlife/Zondervan want me to spend that money now, then they need to make it worth my while.

I looked at it this way. Out of those 58 resources, they chances of me needing all 58 at some point would be almost nil. And even if I needed 50 of them in the future, I could buy those 50 separately at non-sale prices for about the same as this sale price for 58. So why should I bother now?

If on the other hand Logos were offering me a bundle of 580 resources for $900, and I thought that about 50 of them looked really excellent, and another 50 might well be useful in the future, then I'd jump at the chance. But offering such large bundles at such a small discount is never going tempt anyone who wouldn't have bought the bundle at full price anyway.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 5:59 AM

I like the CounterPoint series and have many of them. When I looked at the measley 5% savings it was more than an offset with the cost of titles that I had no interest in. I will just buy them individually when I need them. I think the structure of the Z sale is more of an incentive for people to wait and buy later what they need, rather than buying now because of a price reduction.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 6:26 AM

I didn't feel like giving up my firstborn...an arm, or a leg...so, no. I did like being able to fill in some more of my WBC series (the last volume of Job and Judges for under 20 bucks), but  skipped the updated volumes.

Posts 9576
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:06 AM

Mark Barnes:
But if Faithlife/Zondervan want me to spend that money now, then they need to make it worth my while.

Mark Barnes:
But offering such large bundles at such a small discount is never going tempt anyone who wouldn't have bought the bundle at full price anyway.

I can imagine that most people have the same perspective.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 245
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:32 AM

To me it was more like them saying "Let us make a lot of jarring noise about somethings we know these people can't afford and won't buy! 

Other than the WBC of which I needed just 5, nothing else worth it for me.

Posts 521
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:39 AM

Alexxy Olu:

To me it was more like them saying "Let us make a lot of jarring noise about somethings we know these people can't afford and won't buy! 

Other than the WBC of which I needed just 5, nothing else worth it for me.

I agree. I made a previous post where I stated that no matter how bad I want these resources, it is impossible to spend a year's salary on these resources. Still drooling though Stick out tongue

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:48 AM

I only completed my WBC set ($9.99 per volume). If I really could afford one of the 3 big bundles, I wouldn't choose them anyway. Without doing the math, my thoughts are as a few others in that it is not enough of a discount to even consider. I'm happy with completing the WBC. I have to do a fundraiser to get anything these days. Smile

Posts 724
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:03 AM

What is it with these large collections - so I guess no-one has bitten the bait - the amounts involved are just ridiculous.

I think with most the brief arrival of dynamic pricing is what this is all about.

The large collections and the sale(s) are just complete non-events.

This isn't an issue for Faithlife of course - Zondervan/Thomas Nelson etc. are just misunderstanding it's customer base. It is them that need to change.

Of course it is totally up to them, these are their titles. Whether they discount their material is entirely their bag.

But the kicker is the "dynamic pricing" - no only in the physical book world would dream of buying a complete set when they already had half the component parts. But in the electronic space - what is so crazy about prorater'ing the collection price down by the proportion owned.

Someone seems greedy

Is it us as consumers or Zondervan/Thomas Nelson as publishers.

Shalom

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:18 AM

With Zondervan now owning/preferring two competing digital platforms, I think us Logos users will regularly find ourselves paying a premium for their products and missing out on some decent offers, such as free digital access to the NIV study Bible when you buy a print version.

Posts 1803
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:32 AM

Edwin Bowden:
I like the CounterPoint series and have many of them. When I looked at the measley 5% savings it was more than an offset with the cost of titles that I had no interest in. I will just buy them individually when I need them.

A lot of us are going to go this route.

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:37 AM

I think you overestimate the paying potential of most 'secular' jobs but I see your point. The price on this is crazy but the whole point of a collection like this is crazy. It caters to a hoarding mentality that is more easily indulged in the digital world than in print. I confess I fall prey to that when it comes to things like commentaries (or something like the NSBT series, which I am looking forward to) but this is a probably a bridge too far.

mike:

It doesn't matter who you are, unless you have a secular job/s.. the price on these things are crazy.

So if you're part of the fortunate group, was it justifiable? was it a really good deal for you?

When I did my math, total cost : total new resources = came out to be around $16-17/book. (not a sale for me)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:48 AM

When they announced the sale on August 10th I was excited to see dynamic pricing. The 5% discount was not impressive. Still, I was planning on getting the complete  Zondervan/Nelson super bundle.

I was told by a Faithlife employee that the price would remain the same trough the month of September. As the sale date approached I saw price fluctuations. By the 3rd of September we had eight increases and two decreases that I noted. There were also some changes in the included contents of the Bundles. It looked as if Logos Marketing did not know what they were doing.

Watching this fiasco unfold has given me the time to re-evaluate my intended purchase. I picked up some WBC volumes and will get a few more books by month's end. I have been addicted to buying large bundles. This event may very well break me of that habit.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 9:07 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Is it us as consumers or Zondervan/Thomas Nelson as publishers.

Shalom

Not sure, but I think that Zondervan/Thomas Nelson has been in business long enough to not be blind on the pricing structure they choose. Some of these prices appear more as a list price presented to schools/libraries/etc that calls for negotiation, and when in the negotiation process, the cost will drastically be much lower, but for most individuals that buying power is not extended (as in, the price you see is what it is).

Posts 25
John Daily | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 12:28 PM

Geo Philips:

I think you overestimate the paying potential of most 'secular' jobs but I see your point. The price on this is crazy but the whole point of a collection like this is crazy. It caters to a hoarding mentality that is more easily indulged in the digital world than in print. I confess I fall prey to that when it comes to things like commentaries (or something like the NSBT series, which I am looking forward to) but this is a probably a bridge too far.

Excellent point, and probably very close to the truth. I know when I look through my library, the holes always stand out to me, and I sometimes have to fight my urge to fill them, even if they're books I wouldn't use.  

Posts 3053
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 12:36 PM

Geo Philips:
It caters to a hoarding mentality

Been saying this for a long time now.

Glad somebody else is seeing what I see. (Makes me feel a little less crazy.)

I just read a post from a retired feller on a fixed income who had laid out half his month's income on a Logos package. I sure hope he knows what he's getting in to.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3053
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 12:38 PM

Super.Tramp:
I have been addicted to buying large bundles. This event may very well break me of that habit.

It is a delightful day when that habit breaks. I pray it will for you, too.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 686
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 12:53 PM

Maybe FaithLife will show the Zondervan big wigs the criticisms made in threads like these and persuade them of the need to make futures promotions a genuine sale with decent discounts.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 1:12 PM

Ted Weis:

Maybe FaithLife will show the Zondervan big wigs the criticisms made in threads like these and persuade them of the need to make futures promotions a genuine sale with decent discounts.

The problem is not just with the minimal discounts. The prices of Nelson ebooks skyrocketed after they were bought by Harper.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS