Ezekiel 41:7 and layperson's resources

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
Al Dobko | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 8 2015 3:44 PM

Can anyone offer an explanation of the second word in Ezekiel 41:7 tagged סבב@Vdp3FS Is this structure possibly in motion, rotating? Are there any resources that explain the grammar and morph codes in simpler layperson's terms? Thanks!

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 5:25 PM

Al Dobko:

Can anyone offer an explanation of the second word in Ezekiel 41:7 tagged סבב@Vdp3FS Is this structure possibly in motion, rotating? Are there any resources that explain the grammar and morph codes in simpler layperson's terms? Thanks!

It's a good question with a complicated answer which I've broken into parts. I'm not sure how much of this will be readily understood, but here's a first whack at it. If you have questions, just ask.

1. First, this verb doesn't indicate rotating motion directly, but indirectly similar to the way the English word "surround" indicates something "going around" something else. The base meaning of the word's root is something similar to "surround".

2. Now, regarding the form of the word, there are actually two "words" in this second word of Ezekiel 41.7 that you refer to. The first piece (which appears as a small vertical line on the right side of this word combination) is simply a conjunction which is used in this case to connect the two verbs, "It widened AND was surrounded...."

3. The morph codes (which can be found here) indicate we're looking at a verb (V) with a niphal stem type (d - this usually indicates a passive or reflexive verb; here, it shows up in a translation that says something like "it was surrounded by...."), in the perfect form with that first "word" indicated above attached to it (p - the perfect tense in Hebrew is similar to a simple past tense in English), it is a third person (3), feminine (F), singular form.

I'll quit typing here as a way of suggesting we continue the conversation if you have any questions. The alternative would be for me to continue typing a couple thousand more words that might turn out to be unnecessary! Smile

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 5:32 PM

Al Dobko:
Are there any resources that explain the grammar and morph codes in simpler layperson's terms?

When you hover over the word, you can see the morph codes spelled out in the bottom left corner for the resource. If that doesn't help (what does Nif'al mean!!?), I'd suggest using the Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology or the Lexham Glossary of Theology.

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 6:31 PM

Mark's right, of course. In my zeal to answer the question about Hebrew grammar, I overlooked that you were looking for a resource that points to the answer. The explanations in these resources are a little light, but they may help.

(Here's the link to The Lexham Glossary of Theology's article, however.)

Posts 79
Al Dobko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:07 PM

Thanks I see Michael Heiser is one of the authors... Time to upgrade to 6!

Posts 79
Al Dobko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:12 PM

Thanks Lew... what I found was that this form is only used in this single verse so I had nothing to compare it to; I had in mind the idea of a round building like the Roman colosseum that increases in width as it gets higher, but that the levels were or had been rotating; can that form indicate that there ever was physical movement?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS