Zondervan Must Really Hate Logos and It's Users

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 8 2015 6:11 PM

I noticed that Zondervan is offering the Counter Point series books for only $4.99 in other ebook formats http://media.harpercollinschristian.com/page/counterpoints-ebook-sale-2015/?utm_source=za&utm_medium=za&utm_campaign=wbc2015, but is only offering a 5% discount during their "special" September Logos sale. Either they think we are incredibly stupid or they hate Logos and it users and enjoy sticking it to us. Sad

Posts 2736
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 6:36 PM

They aren't Logos linked volumes. Not sure why you'd equate the two. Yes we could use a better price, but it ain't the same.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:23 PM

mab:
but it ain't the same.

No its not but who is setting the price for the Logos editions? I am sure Z has impute.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:29 AM

As I recall, I got the original set of Counterpoint titles from Logos on a special for 50% off. Don't see sales like that on Z titles any more.

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:35 AM

My orice came up at 13.50 ea, and I doubt the linking and tagging is worth the extra 8.50 per book. Most of it will only be bible links anyway.

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:09 AM

I just saw this, and was disappointed at the price tag in Logos compared to other sites.  I understand there is additional labor in the tagging, and would be happy to pay a premium for that over against other sites, but would like to see a lower premium than $9-$11 per volume. Hmm

Maybe they'll hear our feedback and run a counterpoints sale in Oct.? Big Smile

Posts 2889
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:29 AM

It took a while.  However, I finally realized that there are books in which Logos tagging is invaluable, but there are many books in which it does not make one bit of difference for my purposes.  In the latter case, price is much more of an issue.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:31 AM

Agree. My River Flame library of Christian books has expanded alongside my Logos library precisely because of this. Though I do wish often that the River company had bible verse popups and better footnote support in its Android app.

Michael Childs:

It took a while.  However, I finally realized that there are books in which Logos tagging is invaluable, but there are many books in which it does not make one bit of difference for my purposes.  In the latter case, price is much more of an issue.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 10:46 AM

Michael Childs:

Agreed... commentaries are particularly nice to be tagged for ease of jumping to the referenced work... I only own one counterpoint volume... a free one on baptism, looking through the notes a great deal of what i was seeing were to references not in Logos and when I did come across one to the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology: Second Edition it did nicely pop open to it but I wouldn't have felt too hard done by to have to manual open it. Often time for me price is much more an issue than the tagging nice as it can be.The reason I own NIC in OT is the tremendous savings (had I realized that introductory pricing would show up again at Accordance a few months later I could have had it where I would have liked it most, but such is life).

-Dan 

Posts 2736
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 5:07 PM

We have to remember there's a food chain here. Zondervan has itself and the author. Their agreement with Faithlife might limit the third link on pricing flexibility and Faithlife owes the other two as well as itself.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 5:30 PM

I am only seeing one volume (providence) in their own software  and they are selling it for $22.99[EDIT $15.99, the price I quoted was Canadian dollars priced through apple online store not the website]. So they are not doing their own software any big favours. 

Dan

Posts 213
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 6:00 PM

I am sticking with my Logos versions despite the price difference.

Interesting how this Zondervan Counterpoints sale is going: seems like they are imposing some pretty strange conditions on different vendors :

From ChristianBook.com : This product is available for purchase only in the USA. We apologize for any inconvenience.

From Amazon: Note the bottom line: This price was set by the publisher
Note also the Canadian Dollar price on Amazon.ca is the same as the US Dollar price on Amazon.com despite the 30+ percent exchange rate.

Three Views on Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism (Counterpoints: Bible and Theology) [Kindle Edition]

James J. Stamoolis , J. I. Packer , Brad Nassif , Michael Horton , Father Vladimir Berzonsky , George Hancock-Stefan , Edward Rommen  Be the first to review this item
Print List Price: CDN$ 21.99
Kindle Price: CDN$ 4.99 includes free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: CDN$ 17.00 (77%)
Sold by: Zondervan CA (CA SOR)
This price was set by the publisher
Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 6:03 PM

David J. Wilson:
Interesting how this Zondervan Counterpoints sale is going: seems like they are imposing some pretty strange conditions on different vendors

Strange indeed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS