How long til next major update?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:35 AM

I was just wondering how long it might be until the next major update to Logos 4 - that ISN'T a beta

Seems like it's been a while.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:48 AM

Stein Dahl:
I was just wondering how long it might be until the next major update to Logos 4 - that ISN'T a beta?

My personal guess is that you will see it pretty soon. The last couple of beta release have mainly dealt with optimization and bug fixes. That usually happens when you are getting near RC.

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:52 AM

Stein, I'm sure no one could tell you exactly. The current beta testing is on version 4.0b. It adds in a number of the features that we have been waiting for and it seems to be fairly far along in testing. The last update to the beta was basically just bug fixes not new features. There are a couple of known issues that would have to be fixed before the version is released. My guess is that we may be anywhere from a week (very optimistic) to four weeks before it is released. I think your patience will be rewarded when the release is made.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:00 PM

Mark A. Smith:

My guess is that we may be anywhere from a week (very optimistic) to four weeks before it is released. I think your patience will be rewarded when the release is made.

I vote for 1 week, not 4. Big Smile

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:01 PM

Ray D:
I vote for 1 week, not 4.

Except for item number three on this list that would be my vote also.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:42 PM

I'd rather be patient and wait for a fully functional update release than get one that is hastily put together. I am looking forward to the new update. Logos...don't release it until its stable, steady and fully functional. Blessings to all the folks at LOGOS.

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:49 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Well that was fast. Beta 9, released this evening, has (more or less) fixed this bug.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:33 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Mark A. Smith:

Well that was fast. Beta 9, released this evening, has (more or less) fixed this bug.

Wow! Maybe my vote for 1 week made a difference.. or not! Wink

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:36 PM

Steven L. Spencer:

I'd rather be patient and wait for a fully functional update release than get one that is hastily put together. I am looking forward to the new update. Logos...don't release it until its stable, steady and fully functional. Blessings to all the folks at LOGOS.

All in good fun Steven! Fairly confident that Logos won't rush on my account. :-)

Posts 33
Dave Mackey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:42 PM

Looking forward to this next release - looked over the beta notes and it is pretty impressive!

Dave

- http://www.davemackey.net/ - Central hub of all things Dave.

- http://www.opensourcescriptures.com/ - Open Source Scripture Translation.

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:13 PM

For those who haven't been keeping up with the 4.0b beta, here is a list of the new features that have been developed for the next major release. Logos has been doing a great job expanding the program and responding to user input. Not all of the new features are equally significant, but you'll undoubtedly see many that will make you smile.

1. Import notes, highlighting and favorites from LDLS3. To start the import, enter one of the following commands in the command box
    • NOTE: Before importing notes, please read the important instructions about importing from LDLS3
    • import notes
    • import highlighting
    • import favorites
    • import all (imports all three types listed above)
  2. Added Parallel Resource drop-down menu in resource toolbar
  3. Resources support navigating by data type levels, highlighting, and search results
  4. Added Graph Search Results to Morph Search when all searched resources are Bibles
  5. Added “Speed search” to Bible search, which is now the default
  6. Added an “Update to current snapshot” context menu option to saved layouts, which replaces the saved layout with the current layout.
  7. Added a button to the Search Panel toolbar to create a new Visual Filter document from the search
  8. Added “Adjust plan” feature to reading plans. If you are behind, you can right-click on a day and select “Adjust plan from here”, which pushes everything back so that you start reading on that day.
  9. Added domain and subdomain to the Louw-Nida search analyis group header
  10. Added an access key for opening the customize menu on the home page (Alt+C)
  11. Added Bibles-only search index
  12. There are now different settings for auto bookmarks, user defined favorite bookmarks, and search bookmarks for more control over visual bookmark settings
  13. Adding “Default Sans Serif” font option to the Settings panel
  14. External links can be dragged to the Favorites panel
  15. Copy Bible Verses Global Shortcut is now shown in Program Settings
  16. Changed layout of reference range picker in Bible Search, Morph Search, and Reading Plan
  17. Each unique term in a search query is now highlighted with a different color
  18. Input boxes will try to provide valid Bible reference ranges instead of doing nothing (e.g. “mt 28:18-22” will parse to Mt 28:18-20)
  19. User-defined collections now have their own section (separate from Series) in Search range picker
  20. Implicit Series are now included as options in the Cited By panel menu (disabled by default)
  21. Added Alt+C keyboard shortcut to open/close home page Customize drop-down menu

23. Ctrl+Shift+W closes all panels
  24. Bible reference input boxes support the specification of a versemap to use when parsing
  25. Right-click a collection title in the Parallel Resources drop-down to edit it
  26. Delete icon changed to red ‘x’ (to distinguish it from the Close icon)

28. Significant improvements to formatting preservation when importing notes.
  29. Right-click a collection title in Parallel Resources drop-down to edit it.
  30. Accessibility is now disabled to avoid performance problems on tablet PCs due to WPF. “set accessibility to on” and restart to enable accessibility. The Tablet PC Input Service hack at http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly should no longer be necessary.
  31. Bible Speed Search doesn’t ignore incomplete phrases.

33. Added a command bar setting to disable the home page (“Set show home page at startup to false”)
  34. Added “Filter Highlight” resource navigation option to navigate to the next/previous visual filter highlight
  35. Added M’Cheyne Reading Plan option in the reference range selector; it makes the plan for the year of the starting date, and overrides all other time options
  36. Added Reverse Interlinear section to Resource Info page
  37. Additional commands are now supported: Rebuild Bible index, Rebuild library index, Merge library index
  38. “All parallel resources” set shows the built-in parallel resources
  39. Allow duplicate verses in bible reading plans, so reading Psalms,Psalms will read through Psalms twice
  40. Collections can now be excluded from Parallel Resource Sets
  41. The current parallel resource set can now be chosen by clicking the column header
  42. New icons for ‘Update Now’, ‘Update Resources’, ‘Start Reading Aloud’, and ‘FSD’ commands
  43. LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys now flip through the resources in the current Parallel Resource set
  44. “Speed search” renamed to “Search (while typing)” to better convey its functionality; it is no longer the default
  45. Use command “uilang en” or “uilang es” to switch to English or Spanish UI. (Restart required)

47.  Prayer Lists (in File menu)
  48. import prayer lists command imports prayer lists from LDLS3

50. Added Information Panel settings
  51. Added Language program setting
  52. Resource Information shows reverse interlinear information (when available and applicable)
  53. Added a resource description pop-up to resource hyperlinks in the Commentaries and Cross References sections
  54. Parallel Resource Sets remembers the last set chosen
  55. Collections are not shown in Parallel Resources by default (existing collections won’t be changed)
  56. The first Parallel Resource set is now the default set
  57. Copy Bible Verses supports <tab> to insert a tab
  58. Added “Proxy settings” to Sign in dialog for custom/authenticated proxy servers

60. Highlighting Palettes and Styles can be created and edited
  61. Collections and Clippings documents can be exported to a bibliography (use Export... on the panel menu)
  62. Updated resources which are slow to apply highlights will improve after the first new highlight application
  63. If sync fails, the sync icon (in the top right) will change to an “error” icon
  64. The term suggestion popup does not appear in “Search (while typing)” mode

66. “Export” changed to “Export to Bibliography.”

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:11 PM

thank you Mark for putting that together!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 2:48 AM

Thanks for pulling together this list. I understand most of it Wink ... but what is a versemap (item 23)?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:19 AM

Wow! I can't wait!!!!!!

Charlene

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:13 AM

Charlene:

Wow! I can't wait!!!!!!

Yes +1

And I agree... thanks Mark for the list! Big Smile

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:38 AM

Jonathan West:

Thanks for pulling together this list. I understand most of it Wink ... but what is a versemap (item 23)?

This explains all: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8965.aspx

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:43 AM

Maybe I missed it, but what about printing?

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:53 AM

Pat Flanakin:
what about printing

Free. All updates to the software are free.

In fact unless you have turned automatic updates off, Logos will download this update once it is released and notify you that it is ready to be installed.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 9:12 AM

Pat said "printing" not "printing money" I thinkSurprise

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 9:42 AM

Granted, the long list is impressive, but, I'm with Pat "what about printing?"  My husband CANNOT understand why such a high end software package cannot perform a "universally accepted and basic to the computer literate" function such as printing.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS