Master Journal Bundle 2.1

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:15 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

I would not pay such ridiculous and absurd prices for these Master Journal Bundles, no matter how may books and journals they contain. End of story.

Reminds me of those absolutely ludicrous prices that Zondervan has on their Dynamic Pricing sale; which is not a sale at all.

There's absolutely no comparison between the two. The Master Journal Bundle 2.1 is probably giving you 150,000-200,000 pages for $799 on prepub, which works out at less than half a cent per page. The Complete Zondervan / Thomas Nelson Bundle (900 vols.) is a similar size, but for $12,849.81, which is nearly 14 cents per page.

How can they even be compared, in terms of value for money? I think the Master Journal Bundle is astonishingly good value.

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:53 AM

Kenute P. Curry:
I would not pay such ridiculous and absurd prices for these Master Journal Bundles, no matter how may books and journals they contain. End of story.

We have smaller bundles available as well as the option of buying individual journals. These might be a better option for those on a smaller budget or with no need or interest in all that's included in the MJB.

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:54 AM

Mark Barnes:

How can they even be compared, in terms of value for money? I think the Master Journal Bundle is astonishingly good value.

True. And as much as these journal collections might eventually cost -- especially if they continue to add journals -- some types of research require the use of journals. And how awesome it would be to have them all in Logos. Some of the more important academic journals (Novum Testamentum comes to mind) would hike that final tab up a bit, but again, it would be awesome.

Posts 3580
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:58 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're open to creating different configurations as well if the current ones don't meet your needs.

Verbum/Catholic Journals Collection. That might include journals like First Things, Letter and Spirit, and a whole bunch of stuff that I'm sure is coming down the pipeline eventually.

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 10:18 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We're open to creating different configurations as well if the current ones don't meet your needs.

For the future, instead of a generic "Academic Journal Bundle", I wish there were a specific "Biblical Studies Journal Bundle". Currently, there wouldn't be much difference, perhaps. But there are some journals devoted to biblical studies not in the Academic bundle, and there are a few journals not focused on biblical studies in the Academic bundle. Especially as quarterly updates become more expansive (and expensive), I'd like to be as focused as possible. Buying individual journals is possible, but most of us love the bundles' discounts.

Posts 1585
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 10:18 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

Many of us find great value in these journals. Hence, why Faithlife is working diligently to provide them. For those of use involved in academic work access to such journals are invaluable. And, as Phil pointed out, "You're paying about $.40 per journal volume or about $.10–15 per issue. That's insanely inexpensive." Not to mention, you don't have to purchase the Master Journal Bundle. Buy one of the smaller bundles, or don't buy them at all. But for those who use journals on a regular basis this is fantastic news. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 10:31 AM

John Kight:

But for those who use journals on a regular basis this is fantastic news. 

When I first bought Logos back in the 18th century (well, maybe a bit later), having journals as well as having ancient Greek literature available in Logos were dreams of mine that I thought were unrealistic. But it's getting there and I am thrilled. As you say, this is necessary for academic work.

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:27 AM

SineNomine:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Verbum/Catholic Journals Collection. That might include journals like First Things, Letter and Spirit, and a whole bunch of stuff that I'm sure is coming down the pipeline eventually.

Lew Worthington:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

For the future, instead of a generic "Academic Journal Bundle", I wish there were a specific "Biblical Studies Journal Bundle". Currently, there wouldn't be much difference, perhaps. But there are some journals devoted to biblical studies not in the Academic bundle, and there are a few journals not focused on biblical studies in the Academic bundle. Especially as quarterly updates become more expansive (and expensive), I'd like to be as focused as possible. Buying individual journals is possible, but most of us love the bundles' discounts.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll consider them for the next round.

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 2:09 PM

I must have missed something, so I apologize for asking: If the new updated bundles are version 2.1, which release was version 2.0? Isn't the original offering to be considered 1.0?

Thanks for clearing up my thinking.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 2:32 PM

Lew Worthington:
I must have missed something, so I apologize for asking: If the new updated bundles are version 2.1, which release was version 2.0? Isn't the original offering to be considered 1.0?

I'm guessing they are using something like a <Volume>.<Issue> format.

Posts 1043
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:26 PM

Phil, The current pricing is confusing. If I upgrade the Master Journal Bundle to 2.1 then I pay £90 but if I just by the theology ones it costs me £120. If I do as you say and purchase less then it actually costs me more?Tongue Tied

Could you not have an option which enables just getting the newest volumes from the journals I already own? If the master journal bundle becomes 10000 different journals then focus is definitely required.

Please bear in mind that journals are by their nature owner subscriber content. It really makes sense to have some affordable owner subscriber option.

Obviously rental also makes a lot of sense but then as usual not for those of us who already own a lot.

Thanks for your consideration.

John

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:30 PM

John Goodman:

The current pricing is confusing. If I upgrade the Master Journal Bundle to 2.1 then I pay £90 but if I just by the theology ones it costs me £120. If I do as you say and purchase less then it actually costs me more?Tongue Tied

John,

Your pricing is a reflection of just how good a value the MJB is over the other bundles. Yeah, it seems a bit weird but that isjust the nature of the value of the big bundle.

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:34 PM

Randy W. Sims:

Lew Worthington:

I'm guessing they are using something like a <Volume>.<Issue> format.

I considered naming it it 2.0, but I thought 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 was better to reflect the four versions that will be posted in the next year. The second numbers would match the actual number of versions we produce, 4. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 just doesn't feel as neat to me. 

The first version did not have the numbering because it was, in a number of ways, the prototype. That project required an entire year, so no numbering was really necessary.

Hope that helps explain my thinking a bit.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:36 PM

Matthew Miller:
I considered naming it it 2.0, but I thought 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 was better to reflect the four versions that will be posted in the next year. The second numbers would match the actual number of versions we produce, 4. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 just doesn't feel as neat to me. 

It's a very minor thing, but 2:1 would probably communicate that very slightly better than 2.1.

Posts 1043
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:50 PM

OK so anyone able to say whether it will be cheaper to buy all the steps along the way or one per year? Or the same? Given that the final one includes all the previous?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:55 PM

John Goodman:

OK so anyone able to say whether it will be cheaper to buy all the steps along the way or one per year? Or the same? Given that the final one includes all the previous?

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Keep in mind that we're providing you with a tremendous value on these journals. The first MJB was almost 95% off the combined prices. This version is close to that. For context, base packages are around 90% off the combined resource prices. So the discount is almost twice as good (moving from 95% discount to 90% discount results in doubling the price). You're paying about $.40 per journal volume or about $.10–15 per issue. That's insanely inexpensive. But I do understand that it may still be out of reach.

Buying early is better. 

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 4:22 PM

John Goodman:
The current pricing is confusing. If I upgrade the Master Journal Bundle to 2.1 then I pay £90 but if I just by the theology ones it costs me £120. If I do as you say and purchase less then it actually costs me more?Tongue Tied

At Matt mentioned, this is in part the result of the discount off combined prices that MJB offers, but it shouldn't normally be the case. The other contributing factor is that most of the new content we added to the 2.1 bundles went into both the TJB and the MJB. Normally, MJB will get a lot more new content than TJB, which would make MJB more expensive than TJB. I think this was a bit of an anomaly and won't be the norm.

John Goodman:
Could you not have an option which enables just getting the newest volumes from the journals I already own? If the master journal bundle becomes 10000 different journals then focus is definitely required.

We could certainly do that for you, but we couldn't easily do that for everyone, since people own different journals. I'm not sure how we'd grant only the right new journal resources to the right people for the right price without creating a crazy number of custom products. It's a complicated problem to solve. I'll give some more thought to it.

Posts 819
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 4:32 PM

Matthew Miller:

The first version did not have the numbering because it was, in a number of ways, the prototype. That project required an entire year, so no numbering was really necessary.

Hope that helps explain my thinking a bit.

That explains it very well. Thank you!

Posts 30
178294z | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 7:44 PM

I would like a way to sign up for updates/details on the new journal shipments. I just happened to look at the site tonight and found out about 2.1. It would be great to have a renewal feature with a discount too if you commit to buying all 4 shipments. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 7:46 PM

178294z:
It would be great to have a renewal feature with a discount too if you commit to buying all 4 shipments. 

I agree.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS