Let's request Logos 4 Mac to be more Mac like 2) With Fullscreen reading

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Andy | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:51 AM

If you know the Fullscreen writing of Pages (iWork), then you know what i am thinking about. It would be cool if there was a fullscreen reading for all the Books in Logos4Mac.

If you don't know what i mean, you can read more about the idea of "Full-Screen View" here: http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:59 AM

In the PC version there is a full-screen viewing mode. We can safely assume it will come to the Mac version too.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:50 AM

Kevin Becker:

In the PC version there is a full-screen viewing mode. We can safely assume it will come to the Mac version too.

Ahh Cool we have to go one better! Someone was asking in another post about using the OS X feature 'Spaces' http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/spaces.html

I would second that, it would mean Mac users could have the Logos 4 frames in different Spaces windows on the Mac to get more real estate.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 11
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 7:29 AM

Thats a good idea!

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:39 AM

I agree, I hope that the Mac version becomes a real Mac application, not simply a PC's "transliteration".

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:17 AM

Fernando A Gonzalez:
I agree, I hope that the Mac version becomes a real Mac application, not simply a PC's "transliteration".

The Mac team members are always asking ourselves, "What could we do to make this more Mac like?". If you have any suggestions, keep them coming. We can't promise we'll implement all of them, but we're always open to ideas.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:43 AM

Tom Philpot:
If you have any suggestions, keep them coming

I want to add my vote for integration with spaces, if a layout could take into account spaces positioning it would be fantastic.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:50 AM

Joe Miller has requested it too. As far as we know, it's only possible to have an app launch on a specific space. We haven't seen a way to have specific windows assigned to a space, like in a layout). We'll keep on the look out for how to do this. If anyone knows of any Mac apps that do this, let us know.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:13 AM

Tom Philpot:
s only possible to have an app launch on a specific space

Then this may be a slightly different request. I don't care about L4Mac as it launches, but the ability to choose a layout that moves floating windows to other spaces is more what I had in mind. This may be the same thing, it may not. One of the problems that I envision is the fact that spaces is not the same on everyone's Mac. It can be configured different ways.

While this would be terribly convenient. I am fully cable of dragging the floating windows to the proper spaces as well. Just being lazy (Which is the sign of a good developer/sysadmin).

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 1:06 PM

Tom Philpot:
It's only possible to have an app launch on a specific space

Terry Poperszky:

Then this may be a slightly different request. I don't care about L4Mac as it launches, but the ability to choose a layout that moves floating windows to other spaces is more what I had in mind. This may be the same thing, it may not. One of the problems that I envision is the fact that spaces is not the same on everyone's Mac. It can be configured different ways.

While this would be terribly convenient. I am fully cable of dragging the floating windows to the proper spaces as well. Just being lazy (Which is the sign of a good developer/sysadmin).

That's the key point - after the app launches.

I'm not a Mac developer but I think it would not be possible to say to an app "launch and place windows in multiple spaces" also it would be impossible to cater for everyone's Spaces setup, very messy.

What would be the best, and most practical solution, would be to launch then allow the user to, if they wish, spin off windows to other spaces. However this means considering what is the windows model used for L4Mac. The Windows app uses an MDI type interface - multiple 'panels' in one window. What we are talking about here is essentially an SDI interface. And that brings up the question does/can Logos want the application to be like that. An SDI model can end up getting messy (if windows are in one screen) with windows overlapping everywhere.

Obviously there are some desirable benefits to having 'panels=windows' as separate windows, which then could be moved to another space. If it was done well and did not lose usability for those people running L4Mac on one screen.

And there is the consideration that what happens when you have the passage or exegetical guides open (tabbed or windowed??) and you click on a resource. Does that open onto a new window on the same space as the guide or to an existing window - in another space? Will people get lost/dizzy as Logos is bouncing around multiple spaces opening new resource windows/tabs. And what about 'links to open panels' keeping multiple resources in sync as you go through a passage. Bears thinking about.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Patrick S.:
Obviously there are some desirable benefits to having 'panels=windows' as separate windows, which then could be moved to another space. If it was done well and did not lose usability for those people running L4Mac on one screen.

Unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding what you mean here, the Windows version allows you to "float" any panel as a separate window. That window can then have multiple tabs. If you have the Windows version, you can right-click on a tab and select "Open in a floating window" or "Open all in a floating window" to take the current tab and/or panel and open it in a separate window.

Essentially, you can mix/match your SDI/MDI preferences as you like them. I would expect that we would offer this feature (or its equivalent) for the Mac as well.

The issue with Spaces, as I understand it, is that we cannot programmatically, instruct specific windows to occupy spaces other than the one that the main app window currently occupies. You can move the windows there yourself and they'll stay there until you close the app.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 10
Frank DeLalla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:43 PM

Regarding full screen reading. 

I know that the PC version has it, but I think the idea was to do something along the lines of what Pages does.  Perhaps even more Mac-like examples are what WriteRoom and Scrivener do.  It blacks out the backround and leaves the person with nothing put a center column of text.  No Menu Bar, no Dock, and not other visible windows.

I've only used the windows version a little, but I recall it filling the screen with text (correct me if I'm wrong).  That is exactly the wrong implementation of a "reading" mode.  The bigger the screen the more visually overwhelming this gets, and a lot of mac users have huge iMacs!  Imagine a 27 inch iMac with 14 point text from one end to the other. Ugh. 

I would love to see a reading mode that is more focused, easier to move your eyes across without getting lost, and easier on the eyes in general.  By easier on the eyes, I mean some options for changing text and background colors and so on. 

Would be cool.

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:46 PM

Cameron Watters:
The issue with Spaces, as I understand it, is that we cannot programmatically, instruct specific windows to occupy spaces other than the one that the main app window currently occupies. You can move the windows there yourself and they'll stay there until you close the app.

Soon after L1 Mac was launched, I used a utility app called "SizeUp" that—among other things—would allow you to place individual windows into other Spaces. I personally found it to have more quirks than I wanted to mess with. I suppose there are other utilities to accomplish this, but I don't think it can be done in the way it has been requested.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:47 PM

Tom Philpot:
As far as we know, it's only possible to have an app launch on a specific space. We haven't seen a way to have specific windows assigned to a space, like in a layout).
In talking to folks down here at Macworld, it would seem Apple does not allow for this kind of functionality of assigning specific items to specific spaces.  So we have to dream and bug Mac for that one :-(

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:49 PM

Terry Poperszky:
I would love it too, ability to choose a layout that moves floating windows to other spaces is more what I had in mind.
Sadly, this is not possible with OSX :-(

Posts 3
Charles A Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:51 PM

This was an informative thread.  Thanks for checking with the experts at Macworld!

Posts 11
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 12:02 AM

This is exactly what i was thinking of!

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:43 AM

Joe Miller:

Tom Philpot:
As far as we know, it's only possible to have an app launch on a specific space. We haven't seen a way to have specific windows assigned to a space, like in a layout).
In talking to folks down here at Macworld, it would seem Apple does not allow for this kind of functionality of assigning specific items to specific spaces.  So we have to dream and bug Mac for that one :-(

Actually, it is the user who assigns the program to run in a certain window. Under System Preferences choose the Expose and Spaces. Then assign a program to a space. You cannot assign a window to a space, but you can assign a program to a space.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:57 AM

I've assigned specific Spaces on launch, so my desktop is never swamped by applications. I run six workspaces:

1.  Safari
  2. Logos for Mac 1
  3. Logos 4 Mac 13a
  4. Microsoft Word (for sermon notes)
  5. MindNode Pro (for sermon outlines)
  6. Microsoft Entourage and Palm Desktop (I often use these in conjunction with my Palm PDA)

To change between spaces just click on the App Icon in the Dock and there you go!

Sometimes I'll drag a Logos for Mac 1/Logos 4 Mac window into the Word or MindNode space, but mostly I just switch by icon click.

It works for me. Smile

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 8:51 AM

Phil Mills:
You cannot assign a window to a space, but you can assign a program to a space.
That is the correct summary of the discussion above.Yes

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS