Logos4 stops working within the last 24 hrs

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:26 PM

So, yesterday morning I was in my Logos4 application and it was working fine.  I went to start it up this morning to capture the new updates and I am unable to get anywhere with it.  I have enabled logging and I am unable to capture anything.  When I go to start the application, I have a short flash of the Logos4 logo, but that is it.  Could this be related to yesterday's Microsoft update?  I am running  a Dell 4200 with dual core Centrino, 3 GB ram, 64GB SSD with Windows XP SP3.  Open to any suggestions.  I thought it might be the indexing so removed the indexes to rebuild, but still nothing.  Haven't called support . . . yet.

Michael

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:38 PM

Michael Krogstad:
Could this be related to yesterday's Microsoft update? 

You are the second person to report strange behavior after everything working fine yesterday. One way to eliminate the possibility of a Microsoft update being at fault is to use the restore function in Windows to restore your computer to the state it was in before the last Windows update. After doing this you could re-check to see if Logos is working again. I would suggest activating diagnostic logging so there would be a log file of any subsequent crash. See here for info on that: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:46 PM

There is another thread to check here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11602.aspx

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:50 PM

I have tried the diagnostics logging, however, it doesn't create any log files.  It appears to crash before it can start a log.  I will have to see about rolling back the update, however, I think there were multiple updates on this last one.

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 2:46 PM

So, I removed the 9 updates from Microsoft from yesterday.  Still not logs being created, still no application.  Bummer.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 3:38 PM

Michael,

Did you just uninstall the updates or use System Restore to restore to a point before the updates? Not sure that would make a difference, but System Restore would clearly put Logos 4 back into the environment in which is was working so you could see if it was Logos or the environment that was at fault.

If you used System Restore, then the only thing I can suggest is trying to delete all the index files, as that seems to be a common thread running through many strange problems. One other possibility is inadequate hard drive space. Do you have enough free space? If you have new Windows updates and were close to having the minimum to run Logos, after the updates you would run into trouble.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 3:47 PM

I didn't have restore points turned on with this machine.  I removed all the updates one by one, rebooting as necessary.  I did as well remove the indexes as I had this issue once before and that resolved it.  And yes, I agree it is a common thread.  As to the free space thing, I have 9 GB free.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:43 PM

Michael Krogstad:
As to the free space thing, I have 9 GB free.

Not saying that that is a problem but you are getting into the zone where it could be an issue. Your HDD is probably over 90% full and that can create issues itself. Maybe in the near future freeing up some space or getting a larger HDD would be worth considering, if you can.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 7:16 PM

Although I hear what you are mentioning, the fact has been that I am currently at 15% free space and have been running the application essentially since I first purchased it on less than 5 GB free without issues.

I am feeling at a bit of a loss at this point and am getting tempted to just uninstall and re-install.  Probably won't do it until Monday from my office since I have a 30MB pipe to the internet.  Makes the installation time less than a couple of hours.

Thanks for your help.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:44 PM

I don't think it is the MS Updates as I installed them before successfully installing the L4 resource updates (also XP SP3).

I was thinking (agreeing) that a complete uninstall-reinstall might be the way to go. Remove the Logos4 folder but first save your Resources folder so that you can use Method 3 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers  - this will save re-downloading.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3
Jeff A Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:24 AM

0003.Logos4Indexer.log

Hey everyone,

I've also started having problems with Indexer crashing. I haven't had "Use Internet" checked for a few weeks, so I decided to enable and see what was available. I can use the application (to some extent, haven't tested it fully), but indexing crashes during a download. I've attached the log file, which say "database disk image is malformed", which I assume means I need to reinstall, but I'd like some more experienced opinions before I do.  :)

I also received MS updates on Feb 10th, but I won't attempt to restore to a previous date to see if it fixes the problem - L3 is still my primary app until L4 is closer to 100%.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 4:50 AM

JeffAPitts:
I've also started having problems with Indexer crashing. I haven't had "Use Internet" checked for a few weeks, so I decided to enable and see what was available. I can use the application (to some extent, haven't tested it fully), but indexing crashes during a download.

Delete the following folder:-  C:\Documents and Settings\jpitts\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\jfu250om.xtr\LibraryIndex  and start L4.

This will force a complete reindex. You may need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders in Explorer.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3
Jeff A Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 12:34 PM

Thanks Dave! That worked.

Although, now my L3 thinks commentaries are bibles!  :)  Sigh - I really want the L4 beta period to come to an end.  :)

Jeff.

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 3:14 PM

Well, Stage 1 of 3 in preparing my library.  Thanks for the link to the quick install.  Will have to see what happens.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 3:34 PM

JeffAPitts:
Although, now my L3 thinks commentaries are bibles! 

Jeff, nothing Dave recommended should have the slightest effect on L3.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 9:11 AM

Just an updated to the original post.  I have reloaded using the recommendations for loading multiple machines and I am currently running fine.  I would consider this item closed.

Posts 3
Jeff A Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 9:23 AM

Hi Mark,

It might just be a coincidence, but it did start as soon as the first time indexing was done. Even an uninstall and reinstall of L3 didn't fix it. I'll have to call Logos tomorrow and see if they can fix it.  Smile

Jeff.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:34 PM

Michael Krogstad:
Just an updated to the original post.  I have reloaded using the recommendations for loading multiple machines and I am currently running fine.  I would consider this item closed.

Thanks, Michael. It's always good to have feedback on our recommendations.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:37 PM

JeffAPitts:

Hi Mark,

It might just be a coincidence, but it did start as soon as the first time indexing was done. Even an uninstall and reinstall of L3 didn't fix it. I'll have to call Logos tomorrow and see if they can fix it.  Smile

Jeff,  you could always start a new thread in the Logos 3 Forum, fully describing your issue.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS