Latest update causing L4 index crash

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Dennis Phelps | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:31 AM

Hello, Dave. I downloaded the bitsadmin/reset, loaded Logos 4, ran the bitsadmin/reset program (it ran through the screen very fast), closed Logos 4, and reloaded Logos 4 ... but still received the indexing error message. Am I running the bitsadmin/reset incorrectly?

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:43 PM

Delete C:\Documents and Settings\DPhelps.NOBTS_WEB\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\eqey04lo.vhp\UpdateManager\Updates.db

Delete C:\Documents and Settings\DPhelps.NOBTS_WEB\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\eqey04lo.vhp\DownloadManager\DownloadManager.db

You need to use Explorer to enable viewing of hidden files and folders.

Run L4 and ensure logging is ON. Upload logs if this does not work.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 33
Dennis Phelps | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:23 PM

Deleted the above files. Reloaded Logos 4. It began to download. After about 15 to 20 minutes, the error message RE the Logos Indexing displayed again. Here are the log files.

4456.Logos4.log

8204.Logos4Indexer.log

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:36 PM

It's the same BITS error. I'm going to have to leave that to the developers who roam the Forum.

You could also contact Technical Support by email and attach the log files.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 33
Dennis Phelps | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 7:11 PM

Dave, thanks for trying. I sent the logs to Logos Technical but have not heard any reply. Also tried calling technical support. The estimated phone wait was 55 minutes. I did not have the time to spare an hour simply waiting on hold on the phone. Have been a Logos user since the 1980s but the past month or so has been a little frustrating trying to receive support. O well. Patience is a fruit of the Spirit. Thank you again for offering your help.

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:32 AM

Sorry to have to refer you there as they indeed are very busy, but they should be able to solve it.  Please report back with the solution.

Thanks,

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 33
Dennis Phelps | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 1:19 PM

For some reason my BITS had been turned off. Here is how to turn it back on in XP:

1) Click "start"; then click "run"

2) Type "services.msc" and then click "ok"

3) In the list of services, double-click "Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS)" and then click "properties"

4) In the "Startup Type" list, select "Manual" and click "apply"

5) Verify that the "Service status" is "started"; if it is "stopped" click on the "start" button.

6) Reload Logos 4 and wait for the index to rebuild (it may take a while).

Thanks.

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 6:01 PM

Dennis Phelps:
For some reason my BITS had been turned off. Here is how to turn it back on in XP:

Thanks Dennis.

I've loaded that into the memory bank!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 16
Dick Gorski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 4:57 PM

I finally had a day free today to try a re-install. Now I have a complete nightmare. After uninstalling and re-installing, Logos still started with the "Indexer Has Stopped Working" error. Apparently as a result, Scan <...>  and Update Resources don't work (although I am only guessing here). I uninstalled again and tried to roll back to a previous restore point, but this doesnt reload my resources--I am left with an empty library.

It looks like I need to plan on spending a few hours on the phone tomorrow with technical support.

Posts 16
Dick Gorski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:01 AM

Dave

i apologize for my post in the other thread. i let my frustration get the best of me. Here is what I have done:

1. I followed the instructions for Method 3 (copied the Resource folder, uninstalled, re-installed, went off-line). When I started Logos4, I immediately got the Indexer has stopped working error. Scanning the folder where my resources are temporarily located does nothing. Update Resources reports that no updates are available.

2. Next I uninstalled again and rolled back to a restore point. Same results as #1.

3. Yesterday I uninstalled again and did a fresh install. Same results as #1. Logos4 starts, immediately reports that Indexer has stopped working. Nothing in the Resources folder.

Log files from this morning are attached.

3386.Logos4.log

6837.Logos4Indexer.log

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:39 AM

DickGorski:
i apologize for my post in the other thread. i let my frustration get the best of me.

That's understandable.

DickGorski:
I followed the instructions for Method 3 (copied the Resource folder, uninstalled, re-installed, went off-line). When I started Logos4, I immediately got the Indexer has stopped working error.

This is not one of the regular errors, so I'm not certain what will resolve it. I would suggest a complete reinstall:-

• remove Prerequisites as well as L4 in Control Panel and remove existing Logos4 folder
  • install using Method 3 but choose a Custom installation to C:\Users\dgorski\  ie. your user folder.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 16
Dick Gorski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:46 AM

I followed your instructions, but the results are the same. Indexer has stopped working error persists on start up. Nothing will scan/download into the library.

Posts 27984
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 5:12 AM

The error appears to be related to the registry access:-

Error    Program    Unhandled exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

We need to wait for a Logos tech to look at the log here OR you could send the log to Technical support.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 16
Dick Gorski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:28 AM

Just sent log files to tech support.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 7:32 PM

DickGorski:

Just sent log files to tech support.

Sorry we missed this one. There was a similar case in our database about it and this is what was said:

"The Indexer is trying to write to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce. This is a user-specific key; being unable to write to it is likely to cause problems for many other applications, not just Logos 4"

Can you go into Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> type in "regedit") and navigate to that folder and maybe post a screen shot of the values you see there?

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS