Andrew Fuller .... A sales pitch

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:43 AM

I was excited to the complete works of Andrew Fuller go up on Pre-Pub ... although I've never read him first hand, only a thesis about him.

Before Fuller, English Nonconformist Calvinism had slid into a Hyper-Calvinism that taught that Faith was not a Duty that all were called on to exercise .... and you can imagine what that did for evangelistic power. Fuller's "Gospel Worthy of all Acceptance" argued cogently that Faith was a Duty, and Fuller's work was instrumental in "awakening" that entire branch of Christendom from its dogmatic slumbers.

Fuller's work was instrumental in forming the opinion and practice of William Carey, the founder of modern missions.

One could argue that without Fuller, there never would have been a Spurgeon.

So whether or not you are a baptist .... Fuller is well worth reading. The antinomian and hyper-calvinism he battled will always be a prerenial temptation to the Church

.... that is why I've already got my pre-pub order in. I hope lots of you will join me, and we can soon enjoy this resource on Logos.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:54 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:
.... that is why I've already got my pre-pub order in. I hope lots of you will join me, and we can soon enjoy this resource on Logos.
YesYesYes

Stephen Edward Paynter:

I must disagree with this, this is an exaggeration, an overstatement! That said, Fuller's work would be great to have in LogosStar.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:38 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

Stephen Edward Paynter:
I must disagree with this, this is an exaggeration, an overstatement! That said, Fuller's work would be great to have in LogosStar.

"One could argue" about anything.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 9:00 AM

Well, it no doubt is an overstatement ... but that Spurgeon's theology and churchmanship was in-keeping with the theology and churchmanship of Fuller is clear, as is the fact that Spurgeon took on Fuller's mantle in articulating evangelical Calvinism against the hyper-Calvinists of his own day.

However, Spurgeon read so widely ... even as a boy before his conversion ... that it would hard indeed to prove a direct relationship.

In his Sermons, Spurgeon makes about ten references to "Andrew Fuller", and in his Treasury of David, another 19. Unfortunately, I don't have the other Logos Spurgeon collection, which contains the Sword and Trowel, .... it would be interesting if anyone with that could give us the stats from that.

However, without some explicit statement by Spurgeon himself, I have to admit ... guilty of exaggeration as charged. Hyperbole in a good cause, is my only defence.

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:09 PM

I thought Andrew Fuller's Works would be going into production by now!  I thought it was going to gather interest quickly.  I guess most Logos users are not Baptists, but Reformers Wink  Hopefully we'll have some Reformers desire to learn from some old fashioned Baptists :) j/k

Jason Saling

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:17 PM

Jason Saling:

I thought Andrew Fuller's Works would be going into production by now!  I thought it was going to gather interest quickly.  I guess most Logos users are not Baptists, but Reformers Wink  Hopefully we'll have some Reformers desire to learn from some old fashioned Baptists :) j/k

Sometimes if you include the link here to the pre-pub page you're trying to draw people's attention to, you'll get more takers. We are such a lazy bunch, and there are so many other good posts to read here on the Forum, we tend to move on unless there's something to click on... Wink

Here's the link, FYI: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6059

I admit I don't know enough about Baptist heritage, but I'm not likely to start with a whole "Complete Works of" collection. Rather perhaps a more broad single volume work like The Baptist Heritage: Four Centuries of Baptist Witness. Even though it's about the same price as the Fuller collection, I think I'd get a better overview of what Baptists are all about if I read that. Or is there a better intro you'd recommend? Here are some other possibilities:

This is, of course, assuming I have time for any of them at all. I'm not particularly on a "learn more about Baptists" quest in my spiritual journey right now. But you never know. It could happen. In any event, it would be good to have something like that in my library for reference. I've got Portfolio as my base package and have also bought many other resources separately, so I have a pretty decent sized library, but the only thing that mentions Baptist in its title is Christian History Magazine--Issue 6: The Baptists.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 2:15 AM

I hope this isn't against forum regs, which I confess I've never bothered to read, but it seems that this thread calls out for a little "potted" overview of Baptist distinctives to help encourage people who don't know much about Baptists to investigate them a little, and to help put them in perspective.

Basically, Baptists have had (and do have) four main contributions or distinctives which have characterised them:

1) An understanding of the Church as a "called out from the world" group of believers. A Church should, as far as it is able, be a gathering of true (converted / regenerated) Christians.

This leads to another distinctive ... the obvious one ... namely

2) That people should be baptised when they come to faith and enter into the Church, as baptism has the symbolism of dying (as one is "buried" in the water) to one's old life, and, rising from the water, rising to a new life of life and discipleship. Baptists have therefore always encouraged baptism by immersion (because of the symbolism), although most do not make this mandatory.

3) A proud history of standing for religious freedom ... partly this is because of the persecution they themselves faced from establishment Christians; but also becuase they understood that to be a Christian and a member of the Church was a matter of personal faith, and they understood that this was something that could not be (and should not be attempted to be) coerced by the State / establishment.

4) A commitment to congregational government of the church. Every Baptist church is a self-governing body. This is not because of a belief in democracy as such, but because the Church is the Lord's, and every Christian is called upon to (and has the priviledge of) determining the voice of Jesus and the guidance of the Holy Spirit ... a priesthood of all believers. God speaks through the humblest of believers.

Baptists have always stood in the mainstream of Christianity ... being good Protestants and having a faith that is consistent with all the ecumenical creeds. Some have been Arminian and some Calvinistic. Most have remained evangelical, although not all. Some are pro-Charismatic, and others anti.

Hope this helps to inspire some to investigate Baptists like Andrew Fuller (and even more so, C.H. Spurgeon).

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 2:27 AM

thanks,

I'd  had a question or two about Fuller's theology, but the link provided all info that was necessary to click the "easy preorder" button!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:16 AM

Thanks for the link, Rosie. You saved me a search.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:19 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

I hope this isn't against forum regs, which I confess I've never bothered to read, but it seems that this thread calls out for a little "potted" overview of Baptist distinctives to help encourage people who don't know much about Baptists to investigate them a little, and to help put them in perspective.

Thanks for this good summary, Stephen.

I see from the product description that Fuller's theology matched that of Jonathan Edwards, John Bunyan, and John Owen. I have the complete works of the first two already (and have barely begun to crack them) and Owen is on my "to buy" list. I think I've got enough similar baptist theology to read for years to keep me busy, so I'm going to pass on Fuller. Sorry. Sad Life is too short, and there's too much good stuff to read.

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:46 AM

I'm currently at the Shepherd's Conference at Grace Community Church and had an opportunity to see the complete Works of Andrew Fuller!  The table of contents of the works of Fuller made me want to get it in Logos even more!  I almost bought the printed edition to start reading sections of it now, but held back to wait for it to be published for Logos.  Already wanted the works of Fuller, but after seeing an example of it definitely made me more excited about it!

I was surprised not to see Logos as a vendor at the Shepherd's Conference.  They had a couple of copies of the older version in GCC bookstore.  But no vendor or new versions of Logos!  Anyways, if you're interested in getting the Works of Andrew Fuller make sure you get it while it's still on Pre-Pub for only $49.99!  It'll probably go to or close to the retail price when it's completed ($119.99).  That's close to a 60% discount!!!!!

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6059

Jason Saling

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:59 AM

Jason Saling:
I was surprised not to see Logos as a vendor at the Shepherd's Conference.
Hi Jason, I am not familiar with that conference.  Send me the details on location, size, website and a contact if you have it and I will look into it.

joe.miller []at] logos.com

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:02 AM

Jason Saling:
I almost bought the printed edition to start reading sections of it now, but held back to wait for it to be published for Logos.  Already wanted the works of Fuller, but after seeing an example of it definitely made me more excited about it!

Jason

While you wait for these to come out in Logos format, you can find many of them in pdf from Google books - http://books.google.com/books?q=+inauthor:%22Andrew+Fuller%22.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:16 AM

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I have been (im)patiently watching the "interest" bar gather ever so slowly. Let's get this thing to production already!! Big Smile

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:22 AM

Joe Miller:
I am not familiar with that conference.

I think it is the John MacArthur's conference in MacArthurs church.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:25 AM

Jason Saling:
I thought Andrew Fuller's Works would be going into production by now!

Same here. I will have to make do of my paper copy, i am not sure why the low interestSad.

Ted

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:05 PM

Ted Hans:

Joe Miller:
I am not familiar with that conference.

I think it is the John MacArthur's conference in MacArthurs church.

Ah, got it now.  Thanks :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:06 AM

Yes, it is where John MacArthur is the pastor, Grace Community Church.  The Shepherd's Conference is every year around this time.  There was approx. 4,000 pastors/staff that were at the conference this year.  People were constantly flowing through the books/vendors, very strategic located in the sense that there is constant traffic.  Plus they gave us a $50 gift certificate to use towards any of the resources, so that made people make sure they checked the vendors out!

It's in Sun Valley, CA.  Website is http://www.shepherdsfellowship.org/sc/

Jason Saling

Posts 309
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 1:45 PM

Jason Saling:
I was surprised not to see Logos as a vendor at the Shepherd's Conference.

I wonder if they will be at Together for the Gospel next week.  I believe there are 7000 registered attendees.  In louiseville right outside Southern Seminary.

Posts 309
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 9:04 AM

Fuller is moving up, it has reached 80 percent at 25 dollars!  Great deal, I recently bought his expostion of Genesis for 40 from Amazaon.  Would love to have it in Logos to.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS