Almost done tagging

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 5 2015 11:54 AM

After many hours of tagging my logos books I am almost done. Out of the 20,000 + books I have a little over 1,000 left untagged. 

Many are only generally tagged but a large numbe are specifically tagged also. 

Just wanted to celebrate and encourage others to keep tagging. :)

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 4:34 PM

Well done James. Party!!!

You will never regret it. I have tagged all my books and I'm glad I have.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 495
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 4:38 PM

Could someone point me to the benefit of this and exactly what this means?

Thanks!

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 4:47 PM

Rodney Phillips:

Some people tag their resources with subjects or types of resource. The advantage is that you can use these tags for searching or creating collections, which can really help you focus in on the small number of resources that might help you. For example, being able to just search books about prayer might make finding what you're looking for much easier.

The downside is that it's a lot of work. Personally I don't try to tag all my resources. Instead, when I have a specific need (e.g. I'm doing a sermon on prayer), I'll look to find books on that subject and add the tags at that point. That way I'm not wasting time adding tags I don't need. I also use collection rules a lot. The argument from the other side is that (a) tagging every book helps you to get to know your library, and (b) by looking at every book you'll add tags that otherwise you won't know were relevant. Both these arguments are true, so you have to weigh up your time vs the advantages gained.

Here's one example of a tagged library: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/24996.aspx

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 4:52 PM

Rodney Phillips:

Thanks!

I find that the benefits of tagging are not only great for searching but also very good to be able to get to know your library more. The process of tagging causes one to pause on each book to understand what it is about. I also used this to determine which books I wanted to read at some point in the future. Here is the current system I'm using to tag my books - 1665.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28236
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 5:14 PM

I use tagging to split the Guide into much smaller units so that I can look at specific aspects of Scripture e.g. form criticism, literary criticism, typology, ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 495
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 5:52 PM

Excellent.    Thanks Guys..  One more thing on my LONG Logos list of things to do..

Retirement can't come soon enough so I will have more time to spend on all this and studying the Bible using Logos.. 

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 6:18 PM

Twenty thousand?! Surprise

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 6:38 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Well done James. Party!!!

You will never regret it. I have tagged all my books and I'm glad I have.

I hope to join you soon in the "I have tagged all my books" club. Party!!!

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 6:39 PM

Paul Strickert:

20,853 to be exact but I know others around here have more than that.

Posts 120
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 7:53 PM

I have been using Logos for a long time but never got into Tagging. I do not even know what it is all about. Could someone briefly explain or point me to an article where it is explained  what are the benefits and how to do it. Thanks so much !!

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 8:04 PM

Ted Harms:
Could someone briefly explain or point me to an article where it is explained  what are the benefits and how to do it.

I am sure there is a wiki article or two on it, and others will provide more comprehensive replies. I will give a quick one:

First, having tags provides quick access to content. For example: one of my interests is in family ministry including parenting, adolescence, childhood development, marriage, etc. Having appropriate tags on these books isn't only helpful in the library (to allow me to browse through the books based on topic), but the more powerful benefit: I can create a collection based on the tags. Then I can perform searches limited to those resources. 

Tagging is a very powerful tool, but it takes a lot of time to do properly. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 913
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2015 8:16 PM

The less precise but much easier way is to use community tags to create collections (type in your library search box "communitytag:apologetics" for example - this is crowdsourced). There are also tags which can be downloaded from various faithlife groups, like the denominations tags.

The Wiki article is over 2 years old.

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 1:04 AM

Paul Strickert:

If you want to boost your library count, the Library of Early American History will give you 5,000 and and the Library of Early English History will give you more than 25,000 Wink. I might possibly have bought both if they'd have been collected together into a much smaller number of resources. As it was, they would have overwhelmed my library.

Posts 1002
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 2:21 AM

Rodney Phillips:
Retirement can't come soon enough so I will have more time to spend on all this and studying the Bible using Logos.. 

Sorry to tell you but I am busier retired than when working full time!! Mind you  I did not get Logos until I was retired!! Just off to get some shopping done combined with daily walk ...

Posts 10669
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 3:02 AM

Rodney Phillips:
Retirement can't come soon enough so I will have more time

I have retired at least 4 times. It's not all that great Geeked. All your acquaintances will now say, "Rodney is retired. Get him to do it.He probably wants something to do."

Posts 495
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 4:33 AM

hahaha  Very true Jack..   Stick out tongue

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 4:47 AM

Mark Barnes:

Paul Strickert:

If you want to boost your library count, the Library of Early American History will give you 5,000 and and the Library of Early English History will give you more than 25,000 Wink. I might possibly have bought both if they'd have been collected together into a much smaller number of resources. As it was, they would have overwhelmed my library.

To be fair I own the Perseus collection and the early American history collection. If you subtract them it's more like 14,000. But I still had to tagged them. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS