TIP- An Easy Way to Really Explore Your Massive Jouranl Library

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 15 2015 8:16 AM

One of my favorites things about Logos is the journals, and I often prefer to read journals (not just use them for research) over books.  There might be different ways to do this but I wanted to share the way I read journals as a daily practice if anyone is interested in getting deeper into random articles.  I started using this method because I have so many journals  and I wasn’t sure the best way to go through various journals to read on numerous topics.

I start by using the “Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery” feature in Logos.  This is one of my favorite features in Logos and if you aren’t familiar with this, you can about read here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/5493/60945.aspx

I have a shortcut on by taskbar that opens “Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery in Journals”.  This opens a random article in my Journals Collection.  Since I have so many journals, I never know what is going to come up.  Occasionally I may close an article and try another one if I’m really not interested but I usually try to read the article even if I only have a faint interest.  I do this because this really helps expand my knowledge and opens me to new ideas and information.

Here is my basic process:

--Every morning after devotions I open “FSD” in journals.

--I spend 15 minutes skimming the article and getting the basic thoughts and ideas.

--At lunch I go back to the article and usually spend 15 to 30 minutes on the article to get a deeper insight.

--If I am really interested in the article, I will read in thoroughly after I get home from work.

--If it is an article I really want to keep track of, I will add it to “journals” that I have in favorites.

I’ve been doing this for the last year and have read a lot of interesting topics and arguments that I would have never gotten to if I didn’t use “FSD”.  You can use this for any collection but I would highly encourage this for journals if you really want to explore your massive journal collection.  If you are an academic student, I would encourage this method to give you a quick and easy way to dive into academic studies outside of the classroom reading.

Hope this helps….Bill

Posts 6477
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 8:48 AM

Thanks for the idea Bill. I was aware of FSD but had never thought to limit it to a collection.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 852
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 10:29 AM

How do you limit that to journals and make a short cut if it?

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 10:38 AM

Michael McLane:

How do you limit that to journals and make a short cut if it?

Make a shortcut by drag and drop to shortcut bar

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 237
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 11:46 AM

Thanks William for sharing. 

I never thought of using FSD this way.

You have just helped me to find a helpful way to go through the journals.

Posts 1923
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 1:55 PM

Yes, this is a nice feature.  Thanks for sharing

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:30 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, Bill. I will try it out.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:02 PM

Great tip - thank you! In addition to journals, I also set it up to use with some Spurgeon resources - his sermons and the Sword & Trowel magazine.

Posts 852
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:07 PM

Thanks William and MJ for the tip and the know how. This is cool.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:07 PM

Fantastic. Thank you!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:58 PM

Excellent tip William. Thanks.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2023
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 4:54 PM

It works for all kinds of things besides Journals as well.

FSD in Devotionals

FSD in Apologetics

FSD in [Almost anything]

Start typing and see what serendipitously pops up.  If you don't like what you see, keep typing anyway and you might make some other facilitated discovery.

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 5:37 PM

Gao Lu:

It works for all kinds of things besides Journals as well.

My favorite would be Journals and if not those, than Encyclopedias (which are basically Journal type articles (at least if the Encyclopedia is a thorough one).

Try making a collection of your Encyclopedias and doing FSD in Encyclopedias

My reasoning is that primarily, Journals and Encyclopedia articles don't require context of previous material that the author may be assuming you have at the point of the serendipitous landing somewhere in a monograph. So they are perfect for randomness. IMO only certain types of books would allow just popping in and reading a portion in the middle, without suffering the loss of understanding from what you've missed.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 616
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 5:04 AM

Thanks for the great idea William. I have a collection made of Christian History Magazine. Thanks to you I'm now enjoying using the FSD feature for this collection. Big Smile

Posts 954
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 6:35 AM

James Taylor:
Try making a collection of your Encyclopedias and doing FSD in Encyclopedias

I DO like that!

Posts 111
Filipe Moreira | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 10:51 AM

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I could not make it work on the latest Mac beta (6.7 Beta 3). 

Can someone not on Beta try it out and let me know if it works as expected?

Thanks

Posts 21643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 10:55 AM

Filipe Moreira:
Unfortunately I could not make it work on the latest Mac beta (6.7 Beta 3). 

It works correctly with the same beta release on Windows 8.1

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 11:44 AM

Filipe Moreira:
I could not make it work on the latest Mac beta (6.7 Beta 3). 

Just to be sure...did you create a collection of journals first?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 111
Filipe Moreira | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:56 PM

James Taylor:

Filipe Moreira:
I could not make it work on the latest Mac beta (6.7 Beta 3). 

Just to be sure...did you create a collection of journals first?

Thank you James. I had missed the need to create collections for the resource. I believed it worked based on the resource type (e.g. journals, encyclopedias, etc). 

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:48 AM

Nice tip! Yes I have enjoyed using FSD in Bibles and some other resources, but hadn't thought of doing it for journals. Now I will. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS